Author Topic: The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley  (Read 40179 times)  Share 

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Iv'e never been up there Ian, was it a quiet day or are not in use yet? It looks quite pleasant.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Iv'e never been up there Ian, was it a quiet day or are not in use yet? It looks quite pleasant.

I was out doing a 12ish mile walk with your ex running mate John Mac and we ended up in there around 1-30.  The downstairs was quite full, but when I went upstairs the place was empty.  Yes I does look nice.

ian.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
Does seem to be a busy pub the times that i have been in. Is the top room open all the time now or just on certain days ?
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
I have not been around for a few days (personal reasons) But I've heard that one of the barmen at the Rugby in Hull is looking after this pub for the time being.

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile

a chap called Mark is doing relief at the moment, he's been there before, nice chap!

yes, sadly, management couple have left. they loved the place, and found it difficult to make the decision. but as usual, not enough staff hours, and so doing so much themselves, they were not getting a good wage. i think it had eventually started to make the manageress ill, and so her hubby reluctantly suggested for her health, they moved on.

they were a lovely, hard working couple, and as always happens at nellies, despite all enthusiasm, the lack of staff hours gets 'em in the end. i dont think humph has much of a clue (probably not if he's never run a busy pub). nellies has lots of rooms, and an upstairs, and needs to be monitored from under aged getting in, which when busy, staff just cant do, so sometimes theres a chap who does it voluntarily, and another volunteer glass collector

i think all the regulars are fed up of a constant changing management. plus its now becoming a joke with all of the other pub managers in the town  :U

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Yes Mark is a barman at the Rugby.  He also does the relief at the Greyhound in Accrington.  He been at lest twice and loves the pub.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile

a chap called Mark is doing relief at the moment, he's been there before, nice chap!

yes, sadly, management couple have left. they loved the place, and found it difficult to make the decision. but as usual, not enough staff hours, and so doing so much themselves, they were not getting a good wage. i think it had eventually started to make the manageress ill, and so her hubby reluctantly suggested for her health, they moved on.

they were a lovely, hard working couple, and as always happens at nellies, despite all enthusiasm, the lack of staff hours gets 'em in the end. i dont think humph has much of a clue (probably not if he's never run a busy pub). nellies has lots of rooms, and an upstairs, and needs to be monitored from under aged getting in, which when busy, staff just cant do, so sometimes theres a chap who does it voluntarily, and another volunteer glass collector

i think all the regulars are fed up of a constant changing management. plus its now becoming a joke with all of the other pub managers in the town  :U

This sounds a similar story across the country and happening more and more. Not sure when it will all end. Especailly judging by the number of job adverts on the gumtree website. Some pubs over the last few years are going through so many managers I lose count.

Glad to see that a voluntary service is operating here and also in my local SS pub as well. As the managers don't get enough staff hours to cope.

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
It looks like a new manager maybe taking over soon.   

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
It looks like a new manager maybe taking over soon.

I know there was one couple that were undecided about which pub they were taking on. May be it's this one. Seems to be quite a few available at the moment.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Been in today and Mark is still looking after it.    He as fell in love with the place and he what's it.   

More photos.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
More photos

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
When I was in Nellies today I was surprised to see a certificate of excellence from Trip Advisor pinned up behind the bar.   Nellies have been awarded 41/2 stars out of 5 by the customers that have review it.    Here is the link to the reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190813-d1777839-Reviews-The_White_Horse_Inn-Beverley_East_Riding_of_Yorkshire_England.html

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Been in today and Mark is still looking after it.    He as fell in love with the place and he what's it.   

Just heard - Mark has stocked out this morning, and a new management couple taken over, who have apparently brought with them a full-time caterer - so food should be back on again!!!  :E20

I hope they've been given more staffing hours, otherwise they wont be around for too long. :(

I was also told just an hour ago, that one of the regulars is opening a 'book' (again), and taking bets on how long the new managers will stay - once they know what the staffing hours situation is. Also apparently the existing staff are worried about losing their jobs, if hours are reduced to accommodate the new situation.  :HJH

Here we go again!!!  ::)
These are sad times :(

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile

...who have apparently brought with them a full-time caterer...

To take charge of the microwave?! :D

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
just briefly met the new couple. they seem really nice, and enthusiastic. i just hope it works out for them (and us) which may as usual totally depend on the support they get from the brewery, and more specifically, adequate staff hours. also they have a caterer with them - so food back on again  :E20  :E20  lovely jubbly!  :EX

::T:: it would be really nice to have some stability here, meaning management that last more than just months

looks like its website (owned by one of the regulars?) has been updated too http://nellies.co.uk
« Last Edit: Oct 23 - 2012 by delboy »