Author Topic: The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley  (Read 40183 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
just briefly met the new couple. they seem really nice, and enthusiastic. i just hope it works out for them (and us) which may as usual totally depend on the support they get from the brewery, and more specifically, adequate staff hours. also they have a caterer with them - so food back on again  :E20  :E20  lovely jubbly!  :EX

::T:: it would be really nice to have some stability here, meaning management that last more than just months

looks like its website (owned by one of the regulars?) has been updated too http://nellies.co.uk

Don't they all seem enthusiastic at first until Humphrey moves the goal posts again. Hope they do get the support from the brewery, especially if the food is back on again.

It is another SS pub that needs some stability.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline waterhenbloa

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Just come back home to Calderdale from a weekend in Beverley. This is a great pub. Beer bang on. Friendly staff. Yes I really like it. You   just can't knock old brewery bitter when its on form. Hand dryer could do with fixing in the gents.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Been in today for a pint of OBB and stayed for 3.   Meet the new managers and there are a very nice couple and they are doing this pub proud.   Lets hope they are allowed to make a go off it.

The photos below will remain for members only and was taken without knowledge or permission of the managers.

edited by me, re grammer   :::K
« Last Edit: Nov 23 - 2012 by ian »

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
Great new that they are settling in and hopefully they will stay. As this pub seems to have had the highest turnover of managers of any SS pub. Yes the menu is the same as I have seen at other destination style SS pubs. Are they doing the full selection of hot drinks as well.

More great photos Ian
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Moonchild

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Great photos!

I'm over in Beverley for the weekend so will definately check this pub out!

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
This advert is only 8 hours old.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/white-horse-nellies-beverley-pub-management-couple/110510328

Er, the current couple have only been there for less than 2 months!

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley
« Reply #82 on: Dec 12 - 2012 »
Latest: The current Managers are escaping! It would seem from reports coming in, that having worked out that they were working for around four pounds an hour - enough was enough.
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
oh no - here we go again!  :S*

Er, the current couple have only been there for less than 2 months!

thats about the average. every time we get some decent new managers, we know they'll soon be on their way. they all think that what they read can't be true, and they can do better. they dont realize that

1) they dont have enough staff hours, so end up doing extra unpaid themselves (we all watch them go downhill in a matter of weeks till they realize they've been shafted by humphs)  >:(

2) they dont realize that they have to *try* and keep an eye on 7 rooms and corridors not visible from the bar, including upstairs, whilst trying to serve disgruntled (for waiting) customers - leaving it down to the good will of regulars to police the pub for under aged etc. one day, something bad will happen, and it will emerge that humphs made it physically impossible to SAFELY manage the place - and he'll get his comeuppance (i hope)   ?S?

3) they dont realize that they have to make and maintain many open fires, and stop idiots from lighting/stock up ones they shouldn't, and stop idiots playing with the gas mantles, turning them off, then on again, releasing gas, and then doing a runner. yes that's happened for years, but how can managers/staff who are having to work on their own behind the bar, deal with that.  ???

4) they dont realize that without the support/good will of the regulars (who have just about had enough - and all talk of wanting to 'have a word with humph') who glass collect, deal with potential trouble causers, and even help them were no handover instruction has been given on the gas, power breakers (all over the place) etc, etc, they would go in to melt down  :(

5) they dont realize that after a few years on no food (thanks humphs), were the place was once a popular eating place, right-food / right-price, built up over a long time by *experienced* manages, they have just recently started food again (bad price and choice) and humphs must wonder in his vast wisdom and experience (not) why no ones eating - ha!  :()

6) they dont realize that they will get no support, sympathy, or anything else from humphs/brewery  :S*

7) they dont realize that since humphs has broken his train-set, people have found better places nearby to go  ::H

8) and sadly they dont realize, that the way things are at the moment, they wont last five minutes   :SRD

we the customers are very fed up. and no doubt humphs will get to hear about it directly, next time he's round *playing* at being area manager.

meanwhile, it's been rumoured that the outgoing (nice people) couple, this monday, will be replace by a couple from the golden ball scarborough (?) another high turnover (managers) pub  :SS

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile

It would seem that for the last few years, every time I've dropped by, 'Nellies' (The White Horse Inn) has been under new, or temporary management. I also seem to recall that this is a reoccurring theme of management change-over during festive period.

It would seem to me, that if all of the 'regulars', bit the bullet, and did not help out in any way - either ingoing management would only last days, or even some more serious event might occur whereby the local licensing department would re-evaluate the suitability for the premises to remain licensed, under the current regime - especially if there are questionable public health and safety issues, and that of the lack of supervision for monitoring the possible influx a drinking by the under 18's.

Maybe if things are that bad, a better option would be for a number of you to collectively have a word with your local licensing authority. I'm sure it wouldn't take them too long (with a few assisting pointers) to ascertain who the real culprit is, and that maybe their Area Manager is not suitably experienced, and that the brewery as a whole, is not adhering to the Health & Safety, and licence operators, legal obligations.

I would then imagine that any ensuing investigation by the local authorities, would probably prompt a 'heads up' to other neighbouring authorities - whereby other Samuel Smiths licences premises, could then be then be further investigated.   ?S?
These are sad times :(

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
This advert is only 8 hours old.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/white-horse-nellies-beverley-pub-management-couple/110510328

Oops! Thank you Ian, I stand corrected. The posting date I had seen, refers to the ad placed below the vacancy.
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
This beggars belief. The pub is one of (or should be) one of the jewels in the crown of the estate, but HS is letting the place go to ruin by his cack-handed management 'style' (better known as 'Make It Up As You Go'.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
I meet the couple twice and there where very enthusiastic and full of energy. Standing at the bar I overheard a local saying that there was a book    $$*  on how long they would last.   
  ian.

Offline owld boozer

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
I meet the couple twice and there where very enthusiastic and full of energy. Standing at the bar I overheard a local saying that there was a book    $$*  on how long they would last.   
  ian.

I bet Humphrey bought the winning ticket :() :()

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Just been in Nellies and met the 14th set of Managers in 3 years...  Not new to the game, lets hope they make it into the New Year.

Ian.