Author Topic: The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley  (Read 42417 times)  Share 

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Just been in Nellies and met the 14th set of Managers in 3 years...  Not new to the game, lets hope they make it into the New Year.

Ian.

Ian, is "14th set of Manager in 3 years" an actual figure or just a (joking) guess.

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Just been in Nellies and met the 14th set of Managers in 3 years...  Not new to the game, lets hope they make it into the New Year.

Ian.

Ian, is "14th set of Manager in 3 years" an actual figure or just a (joking) guess.

DB.

14 in 3 years  is the true figure.    :(

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company

Ian.

DB.

14 in 3 years  is the true figure.    :(

I knew it was a lot, but didn't quite realise it was so many in so few years.  I think that Anna was the last long-term stable manager at Nellies.

DB.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
Apparently we had 17 in two years until G&T took over. 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
Just been on Nellies own website,, (which I like and is a 'bold' thing that other SS managers seem wary of- shame as there is so much good stuff out there, HS should accept you can't buy publicity like that), but reading on, OH DEAR!!  found the following  re the cellar details "As we stand with our backs towards the wall.........."
as in position, of course, but..................
hope this is never happens,lol.
But? Sign of the HS times.
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.   Imperial-->:DKB <-- Stout!

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Was in Nellie's last Wednesday 11th Sep.

Can't tell you how long the current young manager has been there, but he was very affable and friendly. Had a very pleasant pint and a meal.

More images on slide show are at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113901120439554830047/NellieSBeverley?noredirect=1#5922435240616483154

Tone

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
Was in Nellie's last Wednesday 11th Sep.

Can't tell you how long the current young manager has been there, but he was very affable and friendly. Had a very pleasant pint and a meal.

Tone

that lad is a member of staff (yep, great person) - he's been covering for the managers who I believe return back today

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
I think the managers have been in for a little while now. Maybe coming up to a year?
Seem to have done a good job and wish em well.

Offline kipper4u

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
I ran this pub as a relief for months in 2009  and I love it got with both staff and customers and I will say it was well looked after. I asked HS for the pub but he said no yet I increased sales when I left the customers bought me presents . Whilst there I worked with two wonderful ladies that I still know work there and I miss them very much. Over the years I have done my job I have work with some wonderful staff .Nellies , the shoulder of mutton Bradford , Brown Bear Sheffield and the Duke of Argyle in London so if you go in the pubs just say kipper from Derby says hello and I am sure they will remember me

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The White Horse Inn (Nellie's) - Location: Beverley
« Reply #100 on: Sep 13 - 2013 »
Whist there we got talking to a couple who had returned to the pub on a visit to Beverley after 40 years! They were students there. They met there, and they married.

They had some interesting anecdotes about Nellie and her sister who used to run the place with a rod of iron. But there was never any trouble. Everyone was scared stiff of Nellie.

Nellie's sister was the older of the two, and she used to do all the fetching and carrying up and down stairs.

They mentioned too, something that I have never heard of. That the beer was kept in a large bowl on the bar, and you dipped your glass in when you bought a pint. Maybe the students bought the beer in bulk and shared it that way?

That will make the 'fresh glass every time brigade' shudder!

Tone

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Dec 16 - 2013 »
I see that the White Horse as a Public Relations Manager.

Read the replies from posts submitted by Soph1968 and Pumpkin1968.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190813-d1777839-Reviews-The_White_Horse_Inn-Beverley_East_Riding_of_Yorkshire_England.html#REVIEWS

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Dec 16 - 2013 »

Read the replies from posts submitted by Soph1968 and Pumpkin1968.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190813-d1777839-Reviews-The_White_Horse_Inn-Beverley_East_Riding_of_Yorkshire_England.html#REVIEWS

Quite interesting. It shows that much of your hard work can be undone easily by the wrong managers to cover your holidays.

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Dec 16 - 2013 »

Same chap (I think) who owns their website, hosts the charity quiz, captains the pool team - and has been there forever!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 16 - 2013 by minsterman »
These are sad times :(

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
Nipped out to Nellies today,an exceptional pub,friendly,great managers,gas lights,real fires,OBB was spot on,sadly I could only stop for a few hours!,most definately worth a visit,bus station next door or ten minutes from railway station at Beverley.