Author Topic: Humphrey be all and end all  (Read 9648 times)  Share 

Offline The Grump

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Humphrey be all and end all
« on: Dec 25 - 2011 »
Seems Humphrey wants to make one of our pubs management couple redundant, says it's because the house has lost ?8,000 in five months (how many millions has he lost in doing what he did 5 years ago, but not his fault it's the managers?) & wants the other half of the couple to run it has a single manager on ?13,000 a year (?250 a week for A 45 Hour week which works out at ?5.55 an hour plus he wants the redundant half to do 6 hours unpaid because they would be living on the premises, he also did not know that the managers get taxed through living on the premises it's called benefit in kind) we the customers do not want to see them go but like they said they cant lower themselves to that amount it's bad enough them being shafted by smiths for 10 years with below minimum wage, they have decided to call it a day & look elsewhere, also the memo he once again sent around is this man mental or what, that he does not know that you do not have to apply for extension over the new year period, by law it is from 11am new years eve to midnight new years day, so where does he get no drinking up time on new years eve, the mans lost it and should be sectioned, & why the law & courts let him get away with what he does i will never know, but like it says above Humphrey the be all & end all.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Humphrey be all and end all
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28 - 2012 »
Seems Humphrey wants to make one of our pubs management couple redundant, says it's because the house has lost ?8,000 in five months (how many millions has he lost in doing what he did 5 years ago, but not his fault it's the managers?) & wants the other half of the couple to run it has a single manager on ?13,000 a year (?250 a week for A 45 Hour week which works out at ?5.55 an hour plus he wants the redundant half to do 6 hours unpaid because they would be living on the premises, he also did not know that the managers get taxed through living on the premises it's called benefit in kind) we the customers do not want to see them go but like they said they cant lower themselves to that amount it's bad enough them being shafted by smiths for 10 years with below minimum wage, they have decided to call it a day & look elsewhere, also the memo he once again sent around is this man mental or what, that he does not know that you do not have to apply for extension over the new year period, by law it is from 11am new years eve to midnight new years day, so where does he get no drinking up time on new years eve, the mans lost it and should be sectioned, & why the law & courts let him get away with what he does i will never know, but like it says above Humphrey the be all & end all.

Sounds a familar story with SSOB. Spends many millions on a pub and new kitchen adn then expects the managers to work a miracle with a busy pub. Can't always work in some pubs in some areas. Yes that is the law, but Humphrey has his own ideas about the opening times all year round. We will never know how his mind works
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline taxydual

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31 - 2012 »
It gets worse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093429/Landlord-threatened-sack-serving-pints-regulars.html

The word is spreading around the press then  :P

It was bound to happen sooner or later that a story about Samuel Smith's Old Brewery and not surprisingly about the 5% rip-off of their customers that the Brewery, in my opinion, are undertaking.

Camra should get involved - they advocate over-sized glasses.

DB.

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31 - 2012 »
CAMRA certainly advocate oversized glasses, but Sams are probably not their favourite brewery when many of their pubs only serve keg. Also I imagine anytime CAMRA have tried to interact with the brewery they would get the usual ''The brewery refused to comment''.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 1 - 2012 »
CAMRA certainly advocate oversized glasses, but Sams are probably not their favourite brewery when many of their pubs only serve keg. Also I imagine anytime CAMRA have tried to interact with the brewery they would get the usual ''The brewery refused to comment''.

If I remember correctly, in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, the brewery is stated as being "fiercely independent.  If you look for Samuel Smith's pubs in the listings, they are VERY FEW and far between, to the extent that the great London gems of pubs are absent.

Older copies of the Guide have more Samuel Smith's pubs in them, I recall.

DB.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 2 - 2012 »
There does appear to be more and more SS pubs dispensing OBB keg which is crying shame as if kept well is a decent pint. I don't know of any SS pub that is lsited in the CAMRA guide this year or for a few years. I know say 5 years ago many were listed. Such a shame  :D

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 5 - 2012 »
There does appear to be more and more SS pubs dispensing OBB keg which is crying shame as if kept well is a decent pint. I don't know of any SS pub that is lsited in the CAMRA guide this year or for a few years. I know say 5 years ago many were listed. Such a shame  :D

Sam Smiths used to have a fair number of listings in the GBG but many branches dropped them a few years ago when the brewery started using CO2 cask breathers to keep slow selling OBB fresh. I'm not sure if the brewery still use them now (they don't in any of the pubs I know) but Sam's pubs aren't 'sexy' to many CAMRA members who like lots of ever-changing guest beers.

These were the only Sams pubs in the 2010 GBG...

Prince of Wales Tavern, North Shields
Colpitts, Durham City
Angel & White Horse, Tadcaster
Golden Ball, Scarborough
Berkeley Hotel, Scunthorpe
Ivanhoe Hotel, Sprotborough, S.Yorks
Shoulder of Mutton, Bradford
Queens Head (Turners Vaults), Stockport
Crown Inn, Glossop
Wortley Almshouses, Peterborough
Old Murenger House, Newport
Cittie of York, London

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 5 - 2012 »

Sam Smiths used to have a fair number of listings in the GBG but many branches dropped them a few years ago when the brewery started using CO2 cask breathers to keep slow selling OBB fresh. I'm not sure if the brewery still use them now (they don't in any of the pubs I know) but Sam's pubs aren't 'sexy' to many CAMRA members who like lots of ever-changing guest beers.

Colpitts, Durham City
Golden Ball, Scarborough
Crown Inn, Glossop
Cittie of York, London

Thanks for the list.  It's just madness that pubs like Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese are not included.  I have mixed feelings about ever-changing guest beers.  A pub local to me had 12-15 "guest beers" (actually no guest beers, but just all produced by the same brewery) and never the same twice.  What many drinkers including myself like to do is to go into a pub and start with the standard session beer which is always available.  While drinking this first pint, I will then often choose something else.  Without the regular beer, it can be a "lucky dip".

I quite like the no cask choice aspect of Samuel Smith's.  It's no nonsense, to borrow John's catchphrase.  However, saying that, in this day and age it is quite feasible for Samuel Smith's Brewery to have a couple more cask beers - I'm not asking much.  People tell me that Museum was a cracking pint.  Maybe one day it will return.

DB.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 6 - 2012 »
There does appear to be more and more SS pubs dispensing OBB keg which is crying shame as if kept well is a decent pint. I don't know of any SS pub that is listed in the CAMRA guide this year or for a few years. I know say 5 years ago many were listed. Such a shame  :D

Colpitts, Durham City
Golden Ball, Scarborough
Crown Inn, Glossop
Cittie of York, London

Thanks for the list.  It's just madness that pubs like Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese are not included.  I have mixed feelings about ever-changing guest beers.  A pub local to me had 12-15 "guest beers" (actually no guest beers, but just all produced by the same brewery) and never the same twice.  What many drinkers including myself like to do is to go into a pub and start with the standard session beer which is always available.  While drinking this first pint, I will then often choose something else.  Without the regular beer, it can be a "lucky dip".

I quite like the no cask choice aspect of Samuel Smith's.  It's no nonsense, to borrow John's catchphrase.  However, saying that, in this day and age it is quite feasible for Samuel Smith's Brewery to have a couple more cask beers - I'm not asking much.  People tell me that Museum was a cracking pint.  Maybe one day it will return.

DB.

It does seem madness when many of the bigger SS pubs must sell large amounts of the cask beer every day. I to drink many different beers and like to try new ones, some pub groups are better at it than others. Would love to see SS do another cask bitter, but don't think it will happen. Never got to try the Museum bitter, but heard good reports about it.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 6 - 2012 »
Museum was a great beer, and cask Tadcaster Bitter was pretty good as well.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 6 - 2012 »

I did years ago enjoy a pint of Tadcaster Bitter and liked it. Not seen for many years now.  :P

Offline blue stanley

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 6 - 2012 »

Used to enjoy a pint of Museum ( The Boot Inn, Chester) but it gave me a stinking headache that ive never had with any other ale.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 7 - 2012 »

Used to enjoy a pint of Museum ( The Boot Inn, Chester) but it gave me a stinking headache that ive never had with any other ale.

Must be a bad news as many customers say the same about the Taddy  :P Some customers are now drinking Alpine instead.