Author Topic: Fircroft and the viaduct  (Read 59450 times)  Share 

Offline idontknow

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Fircroft and the viaduct
« on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
My first post, so be gentle with me!
Does anyone know what is going on with the land between Wighill Lane and the viaduct that crosses the Wharfe in Tadcaster?  What was I belived a right of way, permissible or otherwise, now seems to be fenced off.  This is on land which I believed was land that belonged to a development company that surrounded the ex-Barnardos buildings

Any comments/thoughts?

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Re: Fircroft and the viaduct
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
Does anyone know what is going on with the land between Wighill Lane and the viaduct that crosses the Wharfe in Tadcaster?  What was I belived a right of way, permissible or otherwise, now seems to be fenced off.  This is on land which I believed was land that belonged to a development company that surrounded the ex-Barnardos buildings

Any comments/thoughts?

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your first post.  Selby Council is your local council and they should have the information.  The Planning Department will be able to advise on the development.  Many councils have a Rights of Way Officer, who should be able to advise if it is or is not a legal right of way.  Also, check your local Ordnance Survey map to see if the right of way is marked.

DB.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
Welcome idontknow, I'll just dig out my 1 to25,000 OS map of the area to see if it is a public right way and I'll get back soon.
Also I'm in Taddy a week on Saturday so I may have a walk up for a look.   

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »

Any comments/thoughts?

Let me start by saying a permissive path is just that and is not a public right of way.

There is a public footpath (public right of way) along the east side of the the River Wharf  that runs north from the weir at the top end of Mill Lane to about 200 yards north of the Viaduct.   

Is there any notices saying why it is closed?

ian.

Just found this photo taken from the Viaduct over the River Wharf looking South.   The path that Idontknow is on about is on the left hand side of the river and starts at the weir and heads back to go under the viaduct and follow the river for maybe 200 yards before joining a minor road.   

Just click on the link to see the photo and a map of the area showing the footpath in a red dotted line.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/720563
« Last Edit: Feb 23 - 2012 by ian »

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
Looking at it more closely.........

If you are talking about walking from Wighill Lane towards the river wharf and the viaduct via the land around the ex-Barnardo's land.  My OS map and OS on line mapping shows no public right of way.  I think and I mean (I think without walking it out, which I'll do on the 3rd of March)  the only legal way onto the east side of the River Wharf is to walk north along Wighill Lane past the 4 houses to the north of the ex-Barnardo's land, around 100 yards north of the last house and by a hedge is a public footpath that heads across a field towards the viaduct.  I think this path may be a cul de sac path but without walking it I'm not sure.

I will walk it and take photos of it and get back to you.

ian.

Anymore public right of way queries?   I'm in my element at last........ :EX

And here is a photo of the Public right of way that goes from Wighill Lane towards the River Wharf.  I think (again without walking it) this is the only legal way to the East side of the River Wharf and the viaduct.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/295609

ian.

Offline Tadfan

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
A planning application has been submitted for a permanent cycle route linking Wetherby Road & Stutton Road, across the viaduct, with street lights. This is humphrey making it clear that he objects & that it will not cross his land.
Rumours are that he has erected a 6ft fence, thus blocking the route.
Typical pettiness from the bully.
He has also removed the stiles from the field adjacent Old Brewery Gardens to stop people walking their dogs in his field.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
I believe that the riverbanks are been strengthened and updated by the council. You could walk along Mill lane and passed Sainsbury's and walk onto the footpath and get via the viaduct or follow the river.  Not used either for a while. What is the exurbanite's land, is it the fenced off bit at the back of Sainsbury's ? The Fircroft building on Wighill lane is owned by SSOB.

Thought the land on the otherside of the river was owned by the Grimston Estate ?
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
The footpath that runs North from Taddy and that is on the West side of the River Wharf is the Ebor Way. Even Humphrey would not dare muck about with that one. 

The Ebor Way is the path where the man with his dog is on this photo.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/720563

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
SPAM is on this thread as well. It's on reply posts # 1 and 3.

The SPAM is being done by...........  www.NewsChannel8Online.com     >:(

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
That's good news,  So it's going to be a new cycleway/ footpath from Wighill lane via the viaduct to join both sides of Taddy.

About time too.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »
That's good news,  So it's going to be a new cycleway/ footpath from Wighill lane via the viaduct to join both sides of Taddy.

About time too.

Apparently so. Not heard about the link that was suppose to going from Tadcaster Grammer School to the centre of Tadcaster. Some of that land was once owned by SSOB, but sold to the polo club. Humphrey put some legal clause in the sale deed so had a say about it. Not seen a cycle path that way.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »

Ian, I don't see it.

DB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23 - 2012 »

Ian, I don't see it.

DB

Ian, I think that the link is something local to you...that is, it's being generated on your own PC.  My advice, run a virus scan and ad-scan.

Hope that helps?

DB
Moderator.

Offline Countrygirl

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24 - 2012 »
A planning application has been submitted for a permanent cycle route linking Wetherby Road & Stutton Road, across the viaduct, with street lights. This is humphrey making it clear that he objects & that it will not cross his land.
Rumours are that he has erected a 6ft fence, thus blocking the route.
Typical pettiness from the bully.
He has also removed the stiles from the field adjacent Old Brewery Gardens to stop people walking their dogs in his field.

This decision by Selby may have some bearing on the erection of fences in the area: http://publicaccess.selby.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00232773.pdf