Author Topic: Interesting find - more company information  (Read 8150 times)  Share 

Offline The Webmaster

• The Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths.info
Whilst looking for something else, we stumbled across this - which we thought you may find interesting?  ?S? Especially 'Investments'.

Also interesting, the number of companies of which Humphrey Smith is Chairman.
« Last Edit: Apr 22 - 2012 by The Webmaster »
If it's not broken - it's been fixed!

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Interesting find - more company information
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22 - 2012 »
Much of this information is already on here, but thanks webmaster. The investments section is interesting that Humphrey and Oliver might not own them all 100%. But not far off, I wonder who owns the other shares. Also interesting to note that there are less directors than previous years. More cost saving at the brewery.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22 - 2012 »
I'll put money on the other shareholders of the subsidiaries being the trusts that hold all their shares in the parent company. They aren't going to allow outside investors, especially where the shareholding of SSOB (Tadcaster) is less than 51%.

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22 - 2012 »
Quite likely that the other shares are held by other companies within the group, e.g. Samuel Smiths (Southern) owns 75% of the Cramond Inn Limited.

Interesting though that some of the companies are not unlimited e.g Bassenthwaite Brewing. This means that their accounts are on public record!

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22 - 2012 »
Interesting though that some of the companies are not unlimited e.g Bassenthwaite Brewing. This means that their accounts are on public record!

They are, but if they're all like Bassethwaite Brewing Ltd they're dormant so their accounts show nothing but zeroes, although Bassenthwaite was active in its 2010 financial year with ?138,600 put in it, but back to dormant last year.  Interesting, and I'll do some more digging when I get a chance!

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23 - 2012 »

They are, but if they're all like Bassethwaite Brewing Ltd they're dormant so their accounts show nothing but zeroes, although Bassenthwaite was active in its 2010 financial year with ?138,600 put in it, but back to dormant last year.  Interesting, and I'll do some more digging when I get a chance!

Definately interesting and more digging might reveal something. I thought that one of the farming ones had published accounts a few years ago. When I have time I shall have a look.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28 - 2012 »
Having had a little poke around Sams company structure I found:

Of the 30 companies Hump is listed as being or been a director of, the following are non-trading, sold, dormant or, for the two Private Limited companies, currently have dormant accounts filed for the last financial year.

Melbourne Bros - Non Trading
Nun-Appleton Farm - Dormant Company
Bassenthwaite Brewing Ltd - Private Limited Co, Dormant Accounts
Sadwill Taverns Ltd - Private Limited Co - Dormant Accounts
Cramond Inn - Dormant Company
Nun-Appleton Estate - Sold 2003
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - Sold 2001
Steeton Estate - Sold 2004
Ayingerbrau Lager (UK) - dissolved 2009

Leaving 21 Active trading and holding companies in which Hump and Oliver are directors.

This is a company organogram, and the surprising find was that Samuel Smith (Southern) isn't actually a subsidiary but a parent company in its own right. (You might have to magnify your screens to read the names)

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28 - 2012 »
Having had a little poke around Sams company structure I found:

Of the 30 companies Hump is listed as being or been a director of, the following are non-trading, sold, dormant or, for the two Private Limited companies, currently have dormant accounts filed for the last financial year.

Melbourne Bros - Non Trading
Nun-Appleton Farm - Dormant Company
Bassenthwaite Brewing Ltd - Private Limited Co, Dormant Accounts
Sadwill Taverns Ltd - Private Limited Co - Dormant Accounts
Cramond Inn - Dormant Company
Nun-Appleton Estate - Sold 2003
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - Sold 2001
Steeton Estate - Sold 2004
Ayingerbrau Lager (UK) - dissolved 2009

Leaving 21 Active trading and holding companies in which Hump and Oliver are directors.

This is a company organogram, and the surprising find was that Samuel Smith (Southern) isn't actually a subsidiary but a parent company in its own right. (You might have to magnify your screens to read the names)

Well done, interesting stuff. It doesn't magnify well for me but am I right in saying that there is a number of SSOB companys?

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28 - 2012 »
Well done, interesting stuff. It doesn't magnify well for me but am I right in saying that there is a number of SSOB companys?

The SSOB (no2), 3, 4 & 5 are holding companies. Standard practice in a lot of organisations.

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28 - 2012 »

The SSOB (no2), 3, 4 & 5 are holding companies. Standard practice in a lot of organisations.

I thought that the SSOB with the numbers were holding companies. But I also thought that LPS Richmond holdings was also a holding company ? I think it was renamed at some point though. SSOB no2 is the holding company for the head office and brewery i think. Samuel Smith Southern is a finanical intermediary company. A complex structure anyway.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29 - 2012 »
I thought that the SSOB with the numbers were holding companies. But I also thought that LPS Richmond holdings was also a holding company ? I think it was renamed at some point though. SSOB no2 is the holding company for the head office and brewery i think. Samuel Smith Southern is a finanical intermediary company. A complex structure anyway.

LPS Richmond (Holdings) was renamed Small Independent Northern Brewers in 2011, at the same time that Small Independent Northern Brewers was renamed LPS (Richmond), without the holdings bit! Most likely a tax 'efficiency'.

I thing Samuel Smith (Southern) is the operating company for the London pubs.  I'd be interested if anyone has photographed the price list in any of them as it might have that company name on, although if it didn't it still wouldn't confirm either way.

Bitterboy

• Non-Member
« Reply #11 on: Dec 1 - 2012 »
Humphs sisters are linked with quite a few companies,some interesting,some charity.Apologies if posted already (tried search) .BB
« Last Edit: Dec 1 - 2012 by Bitterboy »

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 1 - 2012 »
Interesting. All pretty much charitable stuff and unconnected with the brewery apart from the one directorship Charlotte has with Walker & Scott which is a dormant company anyway.  Perhaps the sisters were discouraged from getting involved in the brewery because it wasn't the done thing and the company succession can only pass to male heirs.

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 1 - 2012 »
Yes all seems to be charity related and not connected with the brewery. With the exception of Walker & Scott.

Must have time on their hands