Author Topic: The Ebor Bishopthorpe  (Read 6041 times)  Share 

Offline rufustfirefly

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
The Ebor Bishopthorpe
« on: Jan 5 - 2015 »
Not wishing to pile on the agony to Mr Watkins who has shown a terrible lack of judgement by employing and then harboring a known criminal, burglar car thief and drug user. But then rubbing the villagers noses in it by writing a letter of support to the court claiming to have taken the man under his wing. (York Press) But then threatening to bar anyone talking about it or making wisecracks about burglars. Simply serves to further the embarrassing predicament he has placed himself in.
Lots of questions are being asked around the village especially the recent blip in burglaries and present arrangements at the pub.
So dont discuss any of your holiday arrangements or outings within earshot of the bar. You never know who is listening.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Ebor Bishopthorpe
« Reply #2 on: Jan 5 - 2015 »
Had to laugh at this recent tripadvisor review,they obviously don't get out much !,not high on my list to revisit any time soon.

Offline rufustfirefly

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 5 - 2015 »
Jason in particular ? hang on a minute he is the bloody burglar. Not supprised they get some attention ? what what he after ?Home address?  how long are you staying in Bishopthorpe . Why didnt he just ask for a key .   Please Mr Smith can someone sort this out.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 5 - 2015 »
Please Mr Smith can someone sort this out.

I don't think Mr Smith can do anything about it, even if he wanted to.   Would I be right to say, staffing at the Ebor as nothing to do with the brewery.

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 6 - 2015 »
Had to laugh at this recent tripadvisor review,they obviously don't get out much !,not high on my list to revisit any time soon.

Have thing changed so much?  ?S?

Not so long ago this site was a wash with praise for the 'EBOR'. For being the last 'tenanted' pub, serving 'proper food' and having music etc.  :U

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 6 - 2015 »
I'm all for giving people a chance but burglars are the lowest of the low, making people's lives an utter misery, and they're usually always prolific offenders with a history of drug use, burgling, robbing and mugging to feed their habit. When they do get caught it's remarkable how fast and far the burglary rate drops in their 'patch'. The only thing that stops them from re-offending is locking them up, giving their community and the police a break.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 6 - 2015 »
I'm with you on this one OnTheDrink.

On boxing morning 2013 I was wakened up 3am by someone trying to knock down my front door.   I went downstairs and opened it to be confronted by a drunk trying to push by me to get inside my house.  Shamed to admit I was not very polite to him and after about 10 minutes of him trying to get in he gave up and went on is way.   But I shouting after him to come back, when he return I told him to f*** off and close the f****** gate on the way out.

We should have the same law as the USA. Find someone breaking into your home.  shoot the B*******

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #8 on: Jan 6 - 2015 »
Totally agree with you ian on that one shoot the bas---ds ?S?

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 7 - 2015 »
It's gone downhill rapidly over the last months/year,this time of year the place is freezing,small gas fire in restaurant and a portable bar heater which is never on more than one bar,(no heat in gents).Locals local sign outside;they have been leaving in droves fed up with poor service/beer(the obb comes in 36s and doesnt keep).It used to have a great lunchtime trade.This latest episode was the final straw for many,the lad has now gone but has been there a long while,agree with Ian, staff is down to managers but if you are going to give a 20 year old kid promotion and keys to the pub while you are on holiday a CRB check would be a good idea.I see the poster for landlord of the year in York press outside,he won that four years ago but on the poster he's simply painted the year out at the bottom,from what I've been told in good faith about the tripadvisor reviewers,don't ask!.York Press have certainly had a field day with Gordon in court,he obviously didnt know about the previous convictions and jail time,a serious lack of judgement.

Offline rufustfirefly

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 7 - 2015 »
Thanks for that bitterboy . That sign is a bit sneaky I hadnt noticed that. But a quick look at trip advisor tells me that the methods he uses are even sneakier. The majority of the glowing appraisals have been submitted by either employees, family or close associates. The guitar hero has even put 3 on. Easy to spot most of them have only ever done 1 appraisal. "The Ebor"
Trip advisor is a standard that people trust and if its being abused then the whole ethos of it is corrupted. Know what you mean about the freezing cold by the way and that calor heater has to be illegal.
Its a sorry day when a pubs reputation is built on lies and deceit. You cant get away with that for long. But clearing off on holiday and leaving a known criminal in charge takes the biscuit, or in this case the pork scratchings. I notice the facebook page has some lovely pictures of the Archbishop and his wife ! Stood behind the bar with Gordon and Jason. I bet she didnt know she was 2 inches from that villain. ? Hope she kept a firm grip on her handbag.

Offline rufustfirefly

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11 - 2015 »
In a chance conversation I had with a former customer of the Ebor it was mentioned how really nice the place was when Pam and Bill ran it !.
 Yes they did a really good job. They were everything the present spotty faced adolescent no personality herberts  who are running it now arent. Granted they were a hard act to follow but they added to the ambiance not downgraded it as is the case now.
I noted today the local element was reduced yet again.    Locals local ? your having a laff mate.

Offline rufustfirefly

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11 - 2015 »
Well it was an absolute scream in there today with an ex prison officer lobbing a few hand grenades in along the lines of Gordon joining neighbourhood watch !!!!!!!  Great stuff.