Author Topic: The Abbey, Darley Abbey  (Read 1540 times)  Share 

Offline ToyBoyT

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
The Abbey, Darley Abbey
« on: Jan 27 - 2015 »
Oh Humphrey...what have you done now?
Lee and Sally Jackson spent nearly two years re-building the trade at the Abbey, and what a great job they did. They had every local as a friend, the OBB tasted great, the bottom bar re-opened after many years being shut, and the atmosphere returned to one of being a warm inviting pub....your profits must have looked good!
Until they left just before Christmas...and you decided to put an 18 year and 22 year old in as managers.
I know that it's always fun to say to kids "get out there...get a job...while you still know everything!". But did you have to do it to the Abbey?
You now have two people attempting to run the pub that don't even have a licence...I only hope that the actual licensee has been suitably recompensed?
The managers' approach is a strange one...let me ask a question or two...
Is it not common sense that when taking over a new establishment, that you make an effort to get to know the locals and find out what goes on around the village?
Should a landlord not understand the products and know what beer is supposed to taste like? (I gather Gin and Tonic is his favourite)
Is it good practise to take delivery of those lovely oak barrels of OBB and tap them straight away, and even serve the same day?
If the dartboard light breaks, then should we just put a candle bulb in it because....sorry I forgot....it's a light isn't it?
Should we open the upstairs bar when it's so cosy downstairs and, despite the fact that people are queuing out to the toilets, we've only got one member of staff on? Slap my wrists....shame on me to think that the management might actually like to lower themselves to doing bit of work behind the bar.

But forgive me....I'm not a publican...I just like to go to pleasant surroundings, listen to good banter and drink beer with my friends. Which is why a large number of us have de-camped to the club across the road...where we will drink good beer and wait for the present incumbents to go.
And don't think your dip in takings is seasonal...you will probably find it goes on for a bit longer...just look at your stats for the past two years.
..and to finish with...forgetting that the coffee machine is also broken and has been since Christmas...how about the note on the only Gents loo cubicle......we won't mention the spelling!

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Abbey, Darley Abbey
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29 - 2015 »
Dam, I was going to pop in today and maybe have lunch.   

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29 - 2015 »
With reference to the notice on the toilet door.

First I have heard of a Sam's pub with a 'BOGOF' offer.  :() :BL

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29 - 2015 »
I tried visiting the Abbey today but failed.  M1 southbound was not so bad but it did take me over half a hour to get out of Woodhall services.  At 12-30 no snow in Derby but it start as I drove down to the pub.   Had a nice slid down the hill on the ice so did not stop.   Maybe tomorrow. 

Photos for members only.   

1, Woodhall

2, one mile from the Abbey.

3, The road uphill from the Abbey.

Offline ToyBoyT

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16 - 2016 »
Well...I can take it all back now. The kids have left The Abbey, and locals Kevin and Sue have been running the pub for 6 months now...and what a difference!

The old character of the place has returned...the locals have returned...the fire is on...the food is getting great reports....and the old large Christmas decorations were re-instated giving the place a truly festive spirit.

And let's not forget the beer...the OBB tastes great. Even with the severe flooding that has affected Sam Smith's brewery operations...the OBB in its oak casks is still getting through...well done Humph!

Well done Kevin and Sue...long may it continue.