Author Topic: THE RETURN AND REVENGE OF SPIDERMAN  (Read 14364 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: THE RETURN AND REVENGE OF SPIDERMAN
« Reply #15 on: May 13 - 2012 »
I to have friends who work for the brewery and many are not happy with the working conditions at SS. It seems odd that you got sacked for the time sheets, as I know some managers are using more staff hours than they should and appear to be getting away with it. Don't know how, whilst others are asking for more. Also Easter appears to be a time when the wages department ask for the time sheets indvance.

Must say that I have not heard of Humphrey doing flat checks, cellar checks or cash or stock. Probably wouldn't even know what to look for. The managers that have the metered pumps have been back to the brewery this week and Humphrey stormed out the meeting. So the managers msut be doing something to upset him.

So you now work for a good pub group and are much happier with your lot. Don't you get more staff hours working for the new pub company ?

I wish this site was an appreciation site rather than a doom and gloom site at times. He has many lovely pubs and many good managers. Why can't he see that and keep them on. Rather than sacking them for no proper reason.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #16 on: May 13 - 2012 »
football on the telly in the pub?

Now you do have something to shout about!!!   :BL

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13 - 2012 »
the reason i came to work for sam smiths was because of the reputation that they had for great beer, good pubs and fantastic working conditions for managers, and it stayed like that for years, the rot set in when humph decided to keep the price of his beer down, as he wanted to be known for good beer at a reasonable price, he made such a song and dance about it that other brewers said he was stupid and he couldnt sustain it, which made him all the more determined to do it. this is or was fantastic for the customers, but over the years it is the managers that have suffered because he has used every trick in the book to keep the price of the beer artificially low and he has stolen that money from the managers by making excessive demands on stock  and taking money from bonds illegally. as public house managers we have a duty to make sure that the customer gets a full pint, and we are the ones in the firing line if weights and measures catch us  short changing you.  To all you sam smith fans who have such a lot to say when some ex manager has a well deserved rant, have you not noticed that the pubs you are drinking in are shoddy, that you have to wait to get served, that the pub isnt as clean as it was a few years ago, that health and safety rules are being broken, and just in case you havent noticed YOUR BEER IS GOING UP QUICKLY TO HELP TO PAY FOR ALL THE MISTAKES MR SMITH IS MAKING. so the other brewers were right and he cant sustain the price. when this brewery was run properly we had a board of directors, below them was a tied trade director and manager, two district managers and about twelve area managers, now we have  three fantastic admin staff who run around like headless chickens while the madman who runs the company on his own runs around screaming at everyone and  sacking people at the drop of a hat. do me a favour DO-GOODERS try and see it from our point of view , all we are trying to do is stay employed and believe it or not give you good service and provide you with what you pay for A FULL LEGAL PINT. AND TO SPIDERMAN  EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID IS TRUE AND EVEN THOUGH YOU NO LONGER WORK FOR SAMS THANK YOU FOR TRYING TO WARN THE MANAGERS WHO ARE STILL HERE GOOD LUCK

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14 - 2012 »
the reason i came to work for sam smiths was because of the reputation that they had for great beer, good pubs and fantastic working conditions for managers, and it stayed like that for years, the rot set in when humph decided to keep the price of his beer down, as he wanted to be known for good beer at a reasonable price, he made such a song and dance about it that other brewers said he was stupid and he couldnt sustain it, which made him all the more determined to do it. this is or was fantastic for the customers, but over the years it is the managers that have suffered because he has used every trick in the book to keep the price of the beer artificially low and he has stolen that money from the managers by making excessive demands on stock  and taking money from bonds illegally. as public house managers we have a duty to make sure that the customer gets a full pint, and we are the ones in the firing line if weights and measures catch us  short changing you.  To all you sam smith fans who have such a lot to say when some ex manager has a well deserved rant, have you not noticed that the pubs you are drinking in are shoddy, that you have to wait to get served, that the pub isnt as clean as it was a few years ago, that health and safety rules are being broken, and just in case you havent noticed YOUR BEER IS GOING UP QUICKLY TO HELP TO PAY FOR ALL THE MISTAKES MR SMITH IS MAKING. so the other brewers were right and he cant sustain the price. when this brewery was run properly we had a board of directors, below them was a tied trade director and manager, two district managers and about twelve area managers, now we have  three fantastic admin staff who run around like headless chickens while the madman who runs the company on his own runs around screaming at everyone and  sacking people at the drop of a hat. do me a favour DO-GOODERS try and see it from our point of view , all we are trying to do is stay employed and believe it or not give you good service and provide you with what you pay for A FULL LEGAL PINT. AND TO SPIDERMAN  EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID IS TRUE AND EVEN THOUGH YOU NO LONGER WORK FOR SAMS THANK YOU FOR TRYING TO WARN THE MANAGERS WHO ARE STILL HERE GOOD LUCK

In the good old days SS had a good reputation for working for them and also the training courses. Which were over several months and not just 4 days at the Buckles. Obviously to keep costs down the board of directrors has gone and replaced by Humphrey and his brother. So Humphrey has complete control over everything that the brewery does. Also as you say there was a team of area managers and a senior one in the past. Now just Humphrey and he has the whole country to do. Also brewery staff themselves are thinning out faster than ever before. Down to the last 4 stock takers and they have a lot of pubs to get around in the year. Surely the high number of training courses and managers on them over the last few years is an indication of the high turnover of managers.

As to getting a full pint, it is ok in teh vast majority of the SS pubs. Only a few take the pi**. Yes the price of the beer has gone up by far more in the last year than i can ever recall over the last 5 years or so.

SSOB have many pubs that need a makeover and fast. As the wallpaper and carpets are disgusting, curtains falling apart. Some of the toilets are filthy and not fit to use.

Yes it is a good thing that ex managers warn new managers the dangers ahead. But need to pt them over better I think. Ranting is not going to help anybody's cause.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14 - 2012 »
To all you sam smith fans who have such a lot to say when some ex manager has a well deserved rant, have you not noticed that the pubs you are drinking in are shoddy, that you have to wait to get served, that the pub isnt as clean as it was a few years ago, that health and safety rules are being broken, and just in case you havent noticed YOUR BEER IS GOING UP QUICKLY TO HELP TO PAY FOR ALL THE MISTAKES MR SMITH IS MAKING.

Why shout! I can read lower case quite well thanks.

And no, I haven't noticed any problems. I drink in The Tiger at Haxby. The pub is not at all shoddy, it's always clean, the service is polite, and as fast as is practical, no H&S rules are being broken, me and my dog are always made very welcome, and yes, the price has gone up, but it is still considerably lower than anywhere else. For example Extra Stout is so good that it has weaned me off OBB. I'm not that fond of Guinness which can cost more than twice as much and is half as good.

I accept that some managers might have had, or might be having problems with HS and other pubs might be shoddy, but as OBD says, 'ranting is not going to help anyone's cause' and some of the libelous accusations made here will not help the complainants should it ever get to court.

Tone

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14 - 2012 »

I wish this site was an appreciation site rather than a doom and gloom site at times. He has many lovely pubs and many good managers.

Me too mate, me too.

Tone

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14 - 2012 »
I don't want to be seen to be sticking up for Humphrey, or condoning some of the things he does, because I'm not - but! It's his business and the managers/staff are his employees. You have to do what the boss says (within reason) and you will have a job. You may not like or agree with it but thats the way it is in most employment / employee relationships. If I don't like my job or what I'm doing then I leave and find another job. Yes, Mr Smith does seem to throw his weight around and some of his idea's have cost the brewery money but it is his business. I'm sorry but that is the way it is. Just do what he asks, then you get no grief.
Over the last seven or eight years the pub trade has taken a right hammering with the smoking ban, tax rises, fuel/transport and duty going through the roof. Most brewery's have just sat back and passed the cost onto the customer who now pay around three and half quid for a pint of bitter.  SSOB have indeed tightened their belts, cutting back on staff but not only at the pubs also at the brewery as well. This has enabled price rises to be kept lower than most brewery's.  As far as I know, HS works at least twelve hours a day himself and is often the last to leave the brewery at 10pm, instead of sat in his ivory tower counting all of his money. For him to dispose of area management positions and take on their duties as well as running the whole SS operation demonstrates that he is a grafter and is trying to keep overheads as low as possible. How many brewery owners or conglomerate MD's would do the hours that HS does? No, they just keep jacking up the price of a pint and the rent to pay their fat salary's. For 60k a year HS could sit with his feet up and let someone else run the business, who would possibility increase prices to make themselves look good.
Folk can't afford the prices in most pubs. That's why they are empty, they are dying, and there is another five years of recession to get through yet.
I understand that there are many things wrong within SSOB and that HS is without doubt a difficult man to deal with, but he is doing what he thinks is right to get the brewery through prolonged and very difficult times.
I'm sorry for you and many other managers trouble with HS and I'm sorry if you don't like some of the things that I have written but it just helps the "balance" of the forum, a different point of view perhaps.
And no, I don't work for the brewery.  :HD
« Last Edit: May 14 - 2012 by east coast beer drinker »

Offline bonus ball

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Staff Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15 - 2012 »
east coast drinker i think you use the golden ball ,i called in there on bank holiday sunday (just over a week since) one person working ,having to serve,collect glasses,clean tables,ect . about 10 or 12 came in at once and left without being able to get served no falt of the staff just lack of them (bank holiday sunday at the coast lovely day)

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15 - 2012 »
east coast drinker i think you use the golden ball ,i called in there on bank holiday sunday (just over a week since) one person working ,having to serve,collect glasses,clean tables,ect . about 10 or 12 came in at once and left without being able to get served no falt of the staff just lack of them (bank holiday sunday at the coast lovely day)

Yep, sounds about right. Two bars open, one on each and one floating between the two bars. Not ideal but that's the way it is. Last year was one bar open with two on so it is a 50% improvement.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15 - 2012 »
It's his business and the managers/staff are his employees. You have to do what the boss says (within reason) and you will have a job. You may not like or agree with it but thats the way it is in most employment / employee relationships. If I don't like my job or what I'm doing then I leave and find another job. Yes, Mr Smith does seem to throw his weight around and some of his idea's have cost the brewery money but it is his business. I'm sorry but that is the way it is. Just do what he asks, then you get no grief.

I'm surprised by that sentence, but you're almost arguing against your own words with 'within reason'.  That's the whole point - how Humphrey Smith treats his staff is frequently unreasonable, and few employer/employee relationships are so one-sided in favour of the employer.  Owning the business does not give him the right to treat his employees without respect and as an employer he has responsibilities to those employees and that's not just (grudgingly) paying them their salaries and wages. We're not living in the 19th century.

Over the last seven or eight years the pub trade has taken a right hammering with the smoking ban, tax rises, fuel/transport and duty going through the roof. Most brewery's have just sat back and passed the cost onto the customer who now pay around three and half quid for a pint of bitter.  SSOB have indeed tightened their belts, cutting back on staff but not only at the pubs also at the brewery as well. This has enabled price rises to be kept lower than most brewery's.  As far as I know, HS works at least twelve hours a day himself and is often the last to leave the brewery at 10pm, instead of sat in his ivory tower counting all of his money. For him to dispose of area management positions and take on their duties as well as running the whole SS operation demonstrates that he is a grafter and is trying to keep overheads as low as possible. How many brewery owners or conglomerate MD's would do the hours that HS does? No, they just keep jacking up the price of a pint and the rent to pay their fat salary's. For 60k a year HS could sit with his feet up and let someone else run the business, who would possibility increase prices to make themselves look good.

Humphrey Smith being a 'grafter' is the root cause of many, if not all, of the company's problems: He cannot possibly successfully manage the strategic operation of the company and supervise the operation over 300 pubs and their staff, so every aspect of the operation of the company suffers as a result.  The 'savings' made by not employing professional area managers is a surefire route to a drop in profits as managers have no support or even a little encouragement from their management who is obsessed more with disciplinary issues largely of his own making than he is with development of business.  As for increasing prices, the recent increases in percentage terms are far greater than those imposed by other brewers and pub operators.

Folk can't afford the prices in most pubs. That's why they are empty, they are dying, and there is another five years of recession to get through yet.
I understand that there are many things wrong within SSOB and that HS is without doubt a difficult man to deal with, but he is doing what he thinks is right to get the brewery through prolonged and very difficult times.

Which is why any operators worth their salt are working very hard to retain their existing customers and win new ones.  The competition is tough but Sam Smiths. with a little investment, could turn each and every pub in the estate into an oasis for the traditional pub-goer. Funnily enough, just like they used to be.  Actions like the arbitrary withdrawal of the company's popular premium lager - Alpine - beggar belief in such a climate. And don't get me started on the abysmal food offering.  If Humphrey Smith believes that his single-handed management and supervision of 300 pubs, several thousand managers and staff, and the brewery, together with all of his other operations, is 'doing what he thinks is right', something is very, very wrong.

I'm sorry for you and many other managers trouble with HS and I'm sorry if you don't like some of the things that I have written but it just helps the "balance" of the forum, a different point of view perhaps.
And no, I don't work for the brewery.  :HD

I'm sorry for them too, and appreciate your point of view, but I wholeheartedly disagree with it! :)

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15 - 2012 »
It's not as black and white as, if you don't like working for Sam Smith's leave, is it?

Being a manager of a pub is far from a normal job. It's a job most people think that they can do, but it's long hours and when you do get time off your still on call if anything goes wrong.  How do you call in sick when it's up to you to open up?  And if you do walk out, where do you live. OK I would think most managers will have a home somewhere. But is it rented out?   How about if the manager have children?  Will it mean moving school/s with all the upset that will/can coarse. 

No, it's no normal job and I for one would not do it for however much money  they offered me.

And I have not mentioned about some of the customers the managers have to put up with.  >:(

ian.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15 - 2012 »
How man times has HS been done for unfair dismissal?

(And congrats in topping 2,000 posts, Ian!)

Tone

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15 - 2012 »
2000 interesting posts I would add!

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15 - 2012 »
2000 interesting posts I would add!

Don't start! :D

Offline formermgr

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #29 on: May 16 - 2012 »
hi there all,

first post on here...i would just like to say i agree with spiderman and having just recently visited my former pub must say the caliber of managers most be thin on the ground juding by the standads i saw..... :P