Author Topic: THE RETURN AND REVENGE OF SPIDERMAN  (Read 12630 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: THE RETURN AND REVENGE OF SPIDERMAN
« Reply #30 on: May 16 - 2012 »
hi there all,

first post on here...i would just like to say i agree with spiderman and having just recently visited my former pub must say the caliber of managers most be thin on the ground juding by the standads i saw..... :P

If many ex managers are unhappy and left then fine. Yes the standard of managers has ceratinly dropped over the last few years. Been in some where the managers who seemed ok and have been sacked for various reasons. Then replaced by the new intake. I know of about 10 pubs with new managers, many new to the trade. Have to see how long they last.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16 - 2012 »
2000 interesting posts I would add!
How man times has HS been done for unfair dismissal?

(And congrats in topping 2,000 posts, Ian!)

Tone

I was hoping it would pass unnoticed.   

The past 2000 posts as been a rollercoaster ride to say the least but in the main it's been fun.  In the past I've managed to upset the gay community in London over the John Snow incident.  Also I not in the Catholics good books over Windsor Castle, good job I'm a atheist.   Upset quite a few over me not liking swearing on here.  Plus I've upset some because I can't spell. But the 2 things that's upsets the most is my support of any manager who gets ripped to pieces on here from one post wonders and my photographs. 

When I started taken them  I did not realise how some would get their nickers in a twist over them and maybe I would not have started photographing  them.   But with only 10 pubs to visit there's no point in stopping now.  When it all blow up over my photos there was a lot going on behind the scenes that you did not see.   I cannot go into detail but that is why I stopped   posting on the subject.  I did not mind all the accusations made against me, well maybe the one calling me a pervert over taking maybe 4 or 5 photos of the gents.   Funny thing is, when a female customer invited me into the ladies to take photos it went unnoticed. 

I've enjoyed the light hearted sparing and loved it when "Ant" posted, then "Ant 2".  Still waiting for Ant the 3rd to post. So thanks for making it fun.

Ian.

Offline cheese and onion

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #32 on: May 17 - 2012 »
I don't want to be seen to be sticking up for Humphrey, or condoning some of the things he does, because I'm not - but! It's his business and the managers/staff are his employees. You have to do what the boss says (within reason) and you will have a job. You may not like or agree with it but thats the way it is in most employment / employee relationships. If I don't like my job or what I'm doing then I leave and find another job. Yes, Mr Smith does seem to throw his weight around and some of his idea's have cost the brewery money but it is his business. I'm sorry but that is the way it is. Just do what he asks, then you get no grief.
Over the last seven or eight years the pub trade has taken a right hammering with the smoking ban, tax rises, fuel/transport and duty going through the roof. Most brewery's have just sat back and passed the cost onto the customer who now pay around three and half quid for a pint of bitter.  SSOB have indeed tightened their belts, cutting back on staff but not only at the pubs also at the brewery as well. This has enabled price rises to be kept lower than most brewery's.  As far as I know, HS works at least twelve hours a day himself and is often the last to leave the brewery at 10pm, instead of sat in his ivory tower counting all of his money. For him to dispose of area management positions and take on their duties as well as running the whole SS operation demonstrates that he is a grafter and is trying to keep overheads as low as possible. How many brewery owners or conglomerate MD's would do the hours that HS does? No, they just keep jacking up the price of a pint and the rent to pay their fat salary's. For 60k a year HS could sit with his feet up and let someone else run the business, who would possibility increase prices to make themselves look good.
Folk can't afford the prices in most pubs. That's why they are empty, they are dying, and there is another five years of recession to get through yet.
I understand that there are many things wrong within SSOB and that HS is without doubt a difficult man to deal with, but he is doing what he thinks is right to get the brewery through prolonged and very difficult times.
I'm sorry for you and many other managers trouble with HS and I'm sorry if you don't like some of the things that I have written but it just helps the "balance" of the forum, a different point of view perhaps.
And no, I don't work for the brewery.  :HD
most of the things you say are true we are in difficult times and all companys are making cut backs. all i can say is i have worked for sams for a number of years now the 5% is obtainable without ripping off your customers. maybe some of the older managers dont like the fact that mr smith is now getting the surplus and not them which was  once a nice little bonus for them. dont deny it because i know. i get a salary every month for the 45 hours i work and no i am not run down deppressed or overwoked i have no rent to pay or electric or gas or water rates i get a annual bonus health care and a final salary pension scheme do a good job dont theive off the company and things will be fine and no i am not a company yes man

humphrey

• Non-Member
« Reply #33 on: May 17 - 2012 »
Well said, you have hit the nail on the head. SS only want what is rightfully theirs, they have had enough of managers stealing from the company.
« Last Edit: May 17 - 2012 by humphrey »

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17 - 2012 »
Well said, you have hit the nail on the head. SS only want what is rightfully theirs, they have had enough of managers stealing from the company.

I'm hoping that was a tongue in cheek comment, otherwise what you're suggesting is that the 5% shortfall in every pint actually belongs to the brewery, not the customer?  And you seem to be suggesting that theft by managers is commonplace, which is a great disservice to the vast majority of honest, hard-working managers.

As to Cheese and Onion's assertion that the 5% surplus is achievable without ripping off the customers, I'd like to know how 5% of the stock that's been sold can be retained by the company without depriving the customers of it. I managed pubs for a good few years and all I was ever asked for was a straight stock.

Offline formermgr

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #35 on: May 17 - 2012 »
well said on the drink....

to achieve a 5% surplus without ripping off the customer then they should go on Britains got talent.... a container no matter what size only holds a certain amonut of liquid....unless they have changed design to give the correct amount of product then HS surplus.......

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #36 on: May 17 - 2012 »
Yes definate tongue in cheek,Hump could go to over sized glasses would he get the ridiculous 5% then ,don,t think so :GIVEB: a full pint

Offline cheese and onion

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #37 on: May 17 - 2012 »

I'm hoping that was a tongue in cheek comment, otherwise what you're suggesting is that the 5% shortfall in every pint actually belongs to the brewery, not the customer?  And you seem to be suggesting that theft by managers is commonplace, which is a great disservice to the vast majority of honest, hard-working managers.

As to Cheese and Onion's assertion that the 5% surplus is achievable without ripping off the customers, I'd like to know how 5% of the stock that's been sold can be retained by the company without depriving the customers of it. I managed pubs for a good few years and all I was ever asked for was a straight stock.
all my customers like a head on their pint and i have never had 1 complaint its not rocket science a glass holds 1 pint of liquid if i was to fill this to the brim my customers would go crazy. a decent head will get you your required stock result.the words to me of the outgoing manager was drink as much lager as you like dont pay for it and your stocks will still be okay its been going on for years most managers who do all the moaning on this subject are the older ones because they saw it as their perk trust me i know. i know a few new managers in my area who dont have a problem with their stock results because they are doing their jobs right

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17 - 2012 »
As a customer I like a proper pint with a reasonable head. I know managers that are sturggling to get the 5% surplus, whilst others are getting above 5%. Not sure whether this is due to higher sales of soft drinks than alcoholic drinks.

There is one pub that has over sized glasses and metered pumps, but this is achieveing a level stock nearly. So Humphrey put the prices up accordingly to get the extra money back.

The managers that are achieving 7% surplus needs to be doing something to achieve that much. They are doing a disservice to all the other managers and is this good. I don't think so.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17 - 2012 »

all my customers like a head on their pint and i have never had 1 complaint its not rocket science a glass holds 1 pint of liquid if i was to fill this to the brim my customers would go crazy. a decent head will get you your required stock result.the words to me of the outgoing manager was drink as much lager as you like dont pay for it and your stocks will still be okay its been going on for years most managers who do all the moaning on this subject are the older ones because they saw it as their perk trust me i know. i know a few new managers in my area who dont have a problem with their stock results because they are doing their jobs right

Regarding the 5%. It is width of a pencil, and thats how I like mine served, with a head, around the width of a pencil. If it means that my local management couple keep their jobs by achieving the required 5% then that's fine by me. Or we can all pay more and have a pint of liquid plus a head in a bigger glass - same difference?
I understand the arguments but no one has yet shown what SSOB are doing is illegal or not? If it's illegal then I'm sure weights and measures would have had something to say and may have end(ed) up in a prosecution. As this hasn't (to my knowledge) happened I guess it must be legal?? Lets not forget that SSOB isn't the only brewery serving heads on beer. Most of the pubs in town do it, especially with the lager, so it's something that is presumably throughout the industry?    :D2
« Last Edit: May 17 - 2012 by east coast beer drinker »

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17 - 2012 »
Apropos heads on beer, because I have arthritis in my thumbs, I thumbtimes find it hard to get a grip on a straight pint glass, and I'm not getting into drinking two-handed yet! So, I asked whether I might be allowed to bring in my own tankard so I can hang on to the handle without falling off it. It is oversize but certified 'Pint to the Line'. The staff nearly always fill her to the line, including the head. But when it settles, it can be about 10-12% below the line.

Once I got a full pint, but that was when one of the bar staff left the tap on a bit too long (I drink Extra Stout). I have never complained, nor would I. For the price of Extra Stout compared with Guinness elsewhere, I don't mind my glass being underfilled, and I always have the option of asking for it to be topped up anyway. I don't bother.

But, this probably illustrates that when staff are trying to achieve the 5%, many customers are probably only getting about 90% of a pint. If they were trying to pour a full pint with a head, then customers might get the 95% of what they've paid for.

Guinness poured correctly in Ireland is done in two stages. The glass is half filled, with the beer running down the inside surface of the glass. It is then left to settle for ten minutes or so, before being carefully topped up. Due to the high turnover, waiting time is reduced by lining up half-filled glasses.

I can't see HS allowing that! But, as an ex-pat suvverner in York, I reckon its all down to this norfern habit of drinking bubbles. Now a good warm flat pint would fill the glass every time!

Cheers!   

Tone

Offline hurtbyhumph

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #41 on: May 20 - 2012 »
three cheers for spiderman standing upto the downright rude, ignorant,bully and outdated ruler of the brewery and that is fact no matter how anyone puts it good on you spiderman!!!

i have proof before anyone wastes there time replying about liabel!!!!

:DKB :DKB :DKB :DKB :DKB :E20 :E20 :E20 :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<>

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20 - 2012 »
three cheers for spiderman standing upto the downright rude, ignorant,bully and outdated ruler of the brewery and that is fact no matter how anyone puts it good on you spiderman!!!

i have proof before anyone wastes there time replying about liabel!!!!

:DKB :DKB :DKB :DKB :DKB :E20 :E20 :E20 :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :WF :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<> :<>

Proof would be good, as this post keeps rolling on with more and more members jumping on the bandwagon. Then may be the views might be more balanced.  :WF

Offline spiderman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23 - 2012 »
humphrey
                  The customer pays for a pint and should get a pint , if he chooses to not have a top up fine, what tha tramp wants is not to give the option to the customer . yes managers have ripped the brewery off. but he is forcing every manager to rip off the customer or face the sack.ive got a letter on one of the kangaroo disapline`s where i was asked to give 10% head and when the head drops humf gets what he wants...i wont mention the ponses name but he works on maintenance.....doing disaplins..he tried to change his wording by sending me another letter which is in the file..guess what i got no visit off humf for over 2 years until the october before what happened on new years eve.humf you are in the same bracket as the managers who got away with ripping you off..a thief.
ive had permission off the brewery who i work for now to go back to the sunday mirror..but im in no rush cos ive got my family to think of and the papers do not leave you alone once you start..i had to move to a house eventually to escape them...but you wont get away with it you scruffy tramp im going to do it in my time .
any of you who think he is right then beware cos your day will come...my wife always said ours will come but i refused to listen ..but it did
Im busy now and happy and all i want is dick turpin( humf) to take me to court if im wrong in what im saying..all he has to do is ask the 2 creeps at the junction where i am cos they know and they love grassing.
got to go im going out with family for a meal  ...a day off.. do any sams managers get one!

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23 - 2012 »
humphrey
                  The customer pays for a pint and should get a pint , if he chooses to not have a top up fine, what tha tramp wants is not to give the option to the customer . yes managers have ripped the brewery off. but he is forcing every manager to rip off the customer or face the sack.ive got a letter on one of the kangaroo disapline`s where i was asked to give 10% head and when the head drops humf gets what he wants...i wont mention the ponses name but he works on maintenance.....doing disaplins..he tried to change his wording by sending me another letter which is in the file..guess what i got no visit off humf for over 2 years until the october before what happened on new years eve.humf you are in the same bracket as the managers who got away with ripping you off..a thief.
ive had permission off the brewery who i work for now to go back to the sunday mirror..but im in no rush cos ive got my family to think of and the papers do not leave you alone once you start..i had to move to a house eventually to escape them...but you wont get away with it you scruffy tramp im going to do it in my time .
any of you who think he is right then beware cos your day will come...my wife always said ours will come but i refused to listen ..but it did
Im busy now and happy and all i want is dick turpin( humf) to take me to court if im wrong in what im saying..all he has to do is ask the 2 creeps at the junction where i am cos they know and they love grassing.
got to go im going out with family for a meal  ...a day off.. do any sams managers get one!

Yes if you ask for a pint you should get a full pint in the cusiomers view. Not all SS pubs are doing this and so they achieve a surplus. Glad you ahve permission to go to the papers again, but surely you can only get so much out of doing the same story again in 6 months say. So I also take it that the case hasn't come to court yet. As another management couple that were sacked at the beginning of the year haven't had theirs yet.

Humphrey does appear to say that all the old managers are thiefing of him. Sometimes managers of the new breed need to be aware that they might only last for a year or so.

Not sure if the customers have upset you as well or not.

Enjoy your day off with your family.