Author Topic: Has fallen in love with a SS pub but after reading this im panicing  (Read 16380 times)  Share 

Offline mack2707

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Me and my partner have fallen in love with a SS pub and were so excited about it but now reading all of this a bit upset. We have spent years training with Greene King in theyre top division in two of theyre biggest pub hotels and didnt think anything could be worse. Ill describe my last job and could you let me know if SS is worse and why. After two years of being on theyre couples training scheme we had been on a grand total of two courses our licence and a customer complaints course, wed been begging to go on the rest and been told we were too valuable on site. We both worked an average of 65 hours a week never worked less than 50 on ?6.50 we had money taken off for living in, bearing in mind we lived in two rooms with no kitchen one window that the kitchens extracter was in front of (still carnt eat chips after two years of smelling of chip grease). Were on call at all times because we were at a hotel site, frequently worked breakfast finish which means 6.30am to 12.30am with an hour break. We worked under two managers one who was on ?45,000 and his partner who earned ?25,000 they had 5 two week holidays and also had 22 weekends away in one year during that time we were in charge of the site. We linecleaned every week did in house stock counts, ran wedding , functions, hotel reception,I did weekly housekeeping shifts, breakfast, ran the resturant, both bars, cellar and cask, were expected to go out with fliers if it was quiet. our morning accounts took an hour and a half everyday would declare banking, machine refills and a full safe check every day also banking had to be done every day. if your stock is wrong or you are over you wage budget or wernt meeting P&L had to go in front of area manager to explain why every  period. Had a company brand booklet bible thickness that explianed every little detail such as glasses on table how cutlery should be laid out everything and had regular audits to make sure we were doing it how company wants it done also regular kitchen, stock, room, resturant, back office audits. I also did all our training and each staff member had three booklets to do each an hour long bearing in mind we had 40 staff and a regular turnover I did all of them with them and was not given extra hours to do it in. My manager was soo rude he even called my f**king useless in front of customers he was a constant bully and the reason we had such a high turnover and the reason we left in the end despite 43 seperate complaints to hr about him he has never had so much as a disciplin because he meets all targets of course he does his staff are too scared to do anything other than work theyre arses off. Please read this and let me know if ss are worse than this because I didnt believe anyone  could be we are now jobless and homeless after walking out at breaking point and ss have offered us a pub we felt so excited now i am wondering if maybe the pub trade has changed forever to big business  and despite doing nothing but work in the pub trade for the past 15 years maybe i should get out.

Offline Mr Taddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Jobless and homeless then you need to take the pub, even if you just use it as a stepping stone.
I read all the posts and there are a lot of things wrong with Sams but on this forum it does seem to paint a picture of doom and gloom and i`m sure that after doing what you have and gaining all the experince that you have i`m sure that you would find running a Sams pub a lot easier. I`m also sure that you would do the job well and as long as you do then no one would be on your back (for 2 years now).

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
Yes, ring the brewery. They are always looking for management couples.

There is no doubt that working for SSOB and Mr Smith is not easy but I would suggest no worse than you have had in the past. I have said several times on here, just do what is asked of you whether you agree or not, just do it and will will have a job, around 25k pa (per couple) and somewhere to live.
There are horror stories associated with some managers and their treatment by the brewery and there are also many happy managers.

Good luck.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
The brewery are always looking for new managers, it all depends on you really. It is a mixed batch of managers, some are happy whilst others are not. In some ways no worse than other pub groups.

Could be a stop gap whilst something else comes up.

Good luck
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
If you did go with Sam Smiths at least you'd be doing so with your eyes open, unlike many who had no idea. And it does sound like it might actually be better than GK. Needs must so good luck from me as well.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
If you did go with Sam Smiths at least you'd be doing so with your eyes open, unlike many who had no idea. And it does sound like it might actually be better than GK. Needs must so good luck from me as well.

Some new managers are also using the internet and this site for information. So now many new managers indeed have their eyes open.

One new manager recently asked me why google only has an old photo of Humphrey. I said because he is a private man and not many photos exist. Obviously has one on here.

Another telephone interview :P
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline mack2707

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Thanks for the support we have been offered a ss pub just didnt want to jump out of a bad situation into a worse one but seems stupid to work so hard for so long and not take the final step out of fear of the unknown. And one thing Gk are good at is training managers that do as they are told he he he. And like you said at least we are going in with our eyes wide open I personally dont think from what I ve seen the other chains are much better. Guess the life of a pub manager is an aquired taste, think all the chains want it run exactly how they want, it isnt how it used to be. A managers job is to run a business to brand specifics not to run a pub for locals. I guess you either accept that or retrain. Its nice to know if we need help and support its there for you thank you, great website.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
Remember to do the job exactly as required by the brewery. It is very important that you and your partner remember this and keep a very keen eye on your stocks and also your staff.
« Last Edit: May 24 - 2012 by east coast beer drinker »

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
Remember to do the job exactly as required. It is very important that you and your partner remember this and keep a very keen eye on your stocks and also your staff.

True for all companies - but much more so with Sam Smiths!

Offline bubble

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
which SS pub have you fallen in love with,HS has a few nice pubs sounds like it might be worth a visit

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
which SS pub have you fallen in love with,HS has a few nice pubs sounds like it might be worth a visit

Would it be wise for Mack2707 to out himself on here if indeed he dose intend to work for Sam Smiths?

Offline bubble

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Surely  :SRDhe wouldnt be outing himself if he doesnt work for HS yet, he might not even get that pub

Offline cheese and onion

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
The brewery are always looking for new managers, it all depends on you really. It is a mixed batch of managers, some are happy whilst others are not. In some ways no worse than other pub groups.

Could be a stop gap whilst something else comes up.

Good luck
great everyone on this site for years have been saying to stay clear of ssob maybe the grass isnt greener on the oter side mack 2707 work for sams do as your boss tells you like ant other job and youll get a sallary annual bonus free rent electic gas and water, health care and cracking pension scheme and be working less hours than with green king who and 5 weeks paid holiday

Offline bonus ball

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Staff Member
you have about said it all there cheese and onion they prob arn't as bad as made out to be

Offline bubble

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Mack2707, looks like your manager had the better deal in the pub/hotel you worked in, why didn't you get your own pub with Green King and reap the same benefits as him.