Author Topic: Has fallen in love with a SS pub but after reading this im panicing  (Read 15919 times)  Share 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
I've just read Mark's post again and in detail, which if you don't mind me saying was not that easy.   I know that's pot calling kettle black, but I do find it hard to read long posts without paragraphs in them.

If I've read it right Mark has left Green King and is now homeless and jobless, so in my eyes this is a nobrainer, go for it Mark and after you settled in and if you don't like it then you can always look for another job while your working for Sam Smiths. I would think anything is better then being homeless.

I myself have worked with people like your ex manager and his stock comment was that he kept his job by OBE,   other buggers effects.   

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
Yes I agree Ian. To me it appears as though he has been offered a Sam's pub but some comments on here are perhaps putting him off a bit.

Offline formermgr

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
its up to you.......personally would not go back and would not have gone in the first place if id of known the working conditions...

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
Yes I agree with Ian. Again it is your decision that nobody else can make for you.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Mr Taddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Its as i said earlier, use it as a stepping stone if neccessary, if you like it then stay. Just take some of the advise from here because there is a lot of experience taliking in here. Just do as your told to the best of your ability and all will be well. Good luck and all the best.

Offline mack2707

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
We have decided to turn the SS pub down, I have been offered a resturant mangers job with TGI fridays for ?22,000 and took it after the contracts came through for the SS pub. The pay was ridiculous ?25,000 for both of us, they were only going to give us 90 hours for staffing but had to serve food for 45 hrs which means a chef for 45hrs. That just left 45hrs for cleaning cover for our day off and any other staffing. Bearing in mind there are two bars it is in the city centre, and we had to double the take. I dont mind working hard always have but can see why the current managers struggled. And they also included the disciplinary letters sent to the current managers over the last year im guessing the only reason was as a warning, and is highley innapropiate an im not sure if its illegal. And all the other warnings on this site made me realise I would rather take the long road to our first pub with a decent company. It hurt to turn it down though the pub was beautiful had a good cry and turned it down.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
Inappropriate, Illegal. Both probably, given Humphrey Smith's 18th century mill owners approach to employing  slaves, sorry, customer-facing staff. I'm pleased you've got sorted with a company that's unlikely to ask you to double the take with no staff and slave wages, or constantly harass and threaten you with the sack.

Given the slim likelihood of you ever working for Sam Smiths in the future, I don't suppose you'd care to spill the beans on the pub in question?

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
but can see why the current managers struggled. And they also included the disciplinary letters sent to the current managers over the last year im guessing the only reason was as a warning, and is highley innapropiate an im not sure if its illegal........................ It hurt to turn it down though the pub was beautiful had a good cry and turned it down.

I more I read on here about Humphrey's antics, the more he disgust's me.  Other peoples disciplinary letters should not be handed out to anybody in my opinion. Is there a law against it? 

Yes please mack2707 now you are no longer thinking of working for Sam Smith's do let us know which pub you was offered.

All the best with your new job and I hope you will be happy working for TGI fridays.

ian.

Offline bubble

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
which pub were you offered, do we know on this site that it is vacant

Offline mack2707

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
The site isnt vacant I would rather not name the pub, I do not want to cause any more distress to the current managers. I dont think they knew they were getting replaced, we didnt realise until we got the contracts and the start dates that they didnt know because it mentioned a letter going out to them when they recieved our bond thought that was a bit underhand, and maybe theyre not taking what they should but everyone struggles to stay motivated when they work that many hours under the kind of pressure I saw in those letters. I hope they will be given a choice on when to leave such a beautiful pub, not forced out because their jobs are being pimped out to first bidder. 

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
So he's lining up his ducks before firing his current managers? Underhand is an understatement, and presumably he thinks that as he's sent them a few snotty letters that counts as disciplinaries.  Even allowing you sight of those letters is a massive breach of privacy and a genuine breach of data protection law. Even knowing the score with the company to some degree, this has opened my eyes.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
This sounds about right and I think I may know the pub concerned. It is definately underhand and probably not legal.

Yes perhaps not a good idea to name the pub on an open forum.

Good luck with the new job
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline spiderman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
I know i have had my own problems...but i have not had any chance of reading this topic....when we were suspended on the new years eve the relief managers were clearing out my personal belongings from behind the bar...thats when i thought something was wrong..then the gossip in the pub was they were taking the pub over ...my customers were texting me on what was going on so i telephoned the relief to ask why he was doing these things and he said if the pub was offered to him he would except..this is 2 months before my appeal..then stories came out that they have got the pub and big nose tramp humf had offered it to them...im at that stage still waiting for the result of my appeal...so i eventually got to the appeal with his puppet brother oliver who has as much say in what goes on as the cleaner of the stables..and put the question to him..he was so confused about the question and was constantly rubbing the brown stuff off his nose that was stuck up his broves backside the day before....then the room went to silence,
the relief managers are now being used as joes doing any pub he shifts them to as well as running the junction ...they turn up 10 mins before last orders just to close the place... <---    --->

Edited by Moderator - removed possible incitement to commit a crime and profit from the said crime.  Also, a personal unsubstantiated accusation is made against an individual.

DB
Moderator.
« Last Edit: May 31 - 2012 by DarkieBoy »

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
<---    --->

Edited by Moderator - removed copy/quote of incitement to commit a crime and profit from the said crime.

DB
Moderator.

The Serious Crime Act 2007

This act replaces the common-law offence of incitement with three new statutory offences, with effect from 1 October 2008:

Intentionally encouraging or assisting an offence: under section 44 of the Act, someone commits this offence if they engage in an activity that encourages or assists the commission of an offence; and they intend to encourage or assist in its commission.

Tone

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
This site does not accept nor tolerate posts that are an incitement to commit crime or similar.  Nor does it permit personal attacks and accusations on person or persons.

"POLICY OF THIS WEBSITE  - You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United Kingdom (UK) law. "

Please see the site's AUP page here for more details: http://samsmiths.info/aup.htm

DB
Moderator.