Author Topic: Has fallen in love with a SS pub but after reading this im panicing  (Read 14382 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
I think that spiderman needs to be more careful about the content that he puts on this site. As the appeal might not go through if he continues to rubbish the brewery and it's bosses.

Welcome back DB
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
I'm pleased you've done that DB. I had some sympathy for Spiderman's situation but then, by inciting a crime and having a go at a person who as far as I know is a full-time student and has little or nothing to do with the brewery, that sympathy has been replaced by speculation as to the true picture.

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
great everyone on this site for years have been saying to stay clear of ssob maybe the grass isnt greener on the oter side mack 2707 work for sams do as your boss tells you like ant other job and youll get a sallary annual bonus free rent electic gas and water, health care and cracking pension scheme and be working less hours than with green king who and 5 weeks paid holiday

I've just noticed the above comments - and I am a little surprised with the ignorance demonstrated.

"Free rent" - no! By law, it is part of your employment reward packaged with your salary.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1097241696&type=RESOURCES
These are sad times :(

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
great everyone on this site for years have been saying to stay clear of ssob maybe the grass isnt greener on the oter side mack 2707 work for sams do as your boss tells you like ant other job and youll get a sallary annual bonus free rent electic gas and water, health care and cracking pension scheme and be working less hours than with green king who and 5 weeks paid holiday

I've just noticed the above comments - and I am a little surprised with the ignorance demonstrated.

"Free rent" - no! By law, it is part of your employment reward packaged with your salary.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1097241696&type=RESOURCES

It's also a great benefit to the employer to have staff living on the premises: Even managers working for the best companies will end up doing more hours than a manager who lives off.  It's also a great disincentive to burglars.

Offline Yorkshirepint

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
My Wife and I worked for Samsmiths (leaving just over 2 yrs ago being employed for  8 months) we handed our notice in, we had 6 Staff hours and it if anything it was ruining our marriage and our family life. ! Customers were great, but having worked for various companies over the years it was being run like a Circus! We didnt feel like managers, we were glorified Bar staff, who had to all the gardening and cleaning to day in day out.  If I had seen this website before I took the pub, I certainly would not of bothered/Or asked lots of questions prior to signing. I do fondly remember the couple who we exchanged with on the day had wished us the best of luck in a rather sarcastic manner. We have for the past 18months been working for another small independant brewary and it is properley managed, and we also do what we are paid to do... manage a pub!

Offline cheese and onion

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager

"Free rent" - no! By law, it is part of your employment reward packaged with your salary.maybe free was the wrong word to use but taking the whole package into account sams managers are paid well above the minimum wage

Offline cheese and onion

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
My Wife and I worked for Samsmiths (leaving just over 2 yrs ago being employed for  8 months) we handed our notice in, we had 6 Staff hours and it if anything it was ruining our marriage and our family life. ! Customers were great, but having worked for various companies over the years it was being run like a Circus! We didnt feel like managers, we were glorified Bar staff, who had to all the gardening and cleaning to day in day out.  If I had seen this website before I took the pub, I certainly would not of bothered/Or asked lots of questions prior to signing. I do fondly remember the couple who we exchanged with on the day had wished us the best of luck in a rather sarcastic manner. We have for the past 18months been working for another small independant brewary and it is properley managed, and we also do what we are paid to do... manage a pub!
if you dont mind saying what was the opening hours of this pub

Offline Yorkshirepint

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
all day every day, in the final 5 weeks before we gladly left we were given 12 staff hours, but by this point we were already attending interviews and plotting our escape :WF.  We found the company a complete joke, reading through what other posters have put on various other threads, I can feel myself nodding in agreement at so many points.

I think as someone new to the trade it may be a valuable stepping stone into being a 'real landlord' if you can put the hours in!. You can learn the ropes and get the jist of what running a pub is all about

Offline mack2707

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hi to the comment about free rent being part of the wage package I appreciate thats great for a lot of couples, we have a mortgage on my mums house and a mortgage on my partners flat which we rent out so as great as it is we still have to make sure wages covers our financial comitments. I am comfortable with our descion to turn the pub down which was in lincoln it was a beautiful pub but the whole situation ie letter of offer being different from details we were given at interview, the things we read on this website, the fact that the other couples discipline letters were included, and the fact that there is set hours given instead of a percentage of takings, and the whole 5%stock surplus thing it all just felt very very wrong and I feel the this trade isnt a job its a lifestyle it needs to be right or your going to be miserable. I wish everyone who works for this company lots of luck and hope we just saw a tainted view of it, I especially hope the couple in the pub in question are treated well as I felt the whole way we were being hired and things were told was al vry undrhanded.

Offline Johnstone

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Well understand your reservations about HS & his mannerisms. Presume the pub you are referring to is Widow Cullens - yes it is in a great area near the Castle & the Bailgate!
Seems that over the last few years since he got rid of the Area Managers he is determined to wreck his relationships with his staff & upset many of his loyal drinkers. His interaction with Suppliers is the same as I know from personal experience!

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
DarkieBoy posted a few days ago that Widow Cullens Well was closed temporarily as the managers had been sacked, 11 months into their employment.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
DarkieBoy posted a few days ago that Widow Cullens Well was closed temporarily as the managers had been sacked, 11 months into their employment.

Yes I did see that in passing onthedrink. Sorry have been away for a while and still ploughing my way through the forum.

Not sure after any potential manager has read the forum why they would apply for a job at the brewery. Some as stated before seem happy enough, whilst others are not. Humphrey does appear to wrecking the relationship between his managers and staff at a higher rate than ever before. Heard a few times that suppliers just won't do business with SSOB, because of the way they were treated. Does Humphrey have any personnel skills
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile

Yes I did see that in passing onthedrink. Sorry have been away for a while and still ploughing my way through the forum.

Not sure after any potential manager has read the forum why they would apply for a job at the brewery. Some as stated before seem happy enough, whilst others are not. Humphrey does appear to wrecking the relationship between his managers and staff at a higher rate than ever before. Heard a few times that suppliers just won't do business with SSOB, because of the way they were treated. Does Humphrey have any personnel skills

Wondered where you'd been hiding!

There are managers who seem (relatively) happy but I think they just get on with it while always keeping Hump's attitude to his slaves in the back of their mind.   I've often wondered how the man gets anyone to deal with him.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile

Wondered where you'd been hiding!

There are managers who seem (relatively) happy but I think they just get on with it while always keeping Hump's attitude to his slaves in the back of their mind.   I've often wondered how the man gets anyone to deal with him.

Thanks, jsut had a break for a while, and was pretty quiet before I left.

There are some that seem happy enough, others are not. Not sure what the winning forumla is to keep your job with SSOB, long service is not always one. Others as you say are simply slaves to Humphrey and his regime. I know of at least four long term managers that are leaving this year. So more vacancies to fill.