Author Topic: oh dear!!!!!! ss reported to equality and human rights commission  (Read 9800 times)  Share 

Offline oh dear!!!!!

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
good afternoon to all>>>>> as i sit here at home in my office the other day i was online looking for my next public house to run so i saw an advert on the internet for a ss pub to manage!!! first thoughts are i see that there is a phone number and next to it is area manager written there, so i telephoned the number and spoke to a man who i thought was the area manager he said to me where are you from so i replied im from london originally but all of my family live in kent......... i then said i have alot of knowledge as i have run my own pubs for a good few years now....................... he then said well i dont want people working for us that were not born in yorkshire or lived here permanently all of their lives.............. with this phone down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so with this i telephoned the brewery directly still believing that i was speaking to the area manager to be told by a girl that it was actually ss himself who had said it and that she was very sorry about this i mean your staff should not have to feel that they have to appologise on your behalf at all...........

i read the phone number out and yep she confirmed it that it was ss himself!!!!!!!!!

all i can say now is a complaint has gone into the human rights commission about his attitude and about what he has said......... the receptionist said there is nothing i could do to stop him......... i say u wanna bet!!!!!!!!!!!

as far as i am concerned he is a foul mouthed, opionated, old cout that needs to get a grip on reality and stop treating everyone like this im absolutly discusted about his childish outrage on myself when my partner actually does come from this area and has lived here all his life aswell.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

absolute discrace and shame on what could be a nice brewery to work for too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :=:

Offline Pintataddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Wont sat typical because I don't know...But I know my local landlady is definitely not Yorkshire, she isn't even from this country!!!

Offline oh dear!!!!!

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
he just says what he thinks at the time oh well.......... i will have the last laugh for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
he just says what he thinks at the time oh well.......... i will have the last laugh for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Humphrey Smith that you probably spoke to. You gotta laugh really............. ;)   :()

Get your partner to phone up then he will pass the so far unbeknown Yorkshire test! 

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
oh dear...mad as a box of frogs !

Offline Johnbob

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
I bet you nothing happens, you won't even follow it up.

To be fair, he can say on phone if he doesn't want you. You might talk like a tramp lol

Just relax, don't stress over it!! Like other ppl have said get ya fella to call up.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
good afternoon to all>>>>> as i sit here at home in my office the other day i was online looking for my next public house to run so i saw an advert on the internet for a ss pub to manage!!! first thoughts are i see that there is a phone number and next to it is area manager written there, so i telephoned the number and spoke to a man who i thought was the area manager he said to me where are you from so i replied im from london originally but all of my family live in kent......... i then said i have alot of knowledge as i have run my own pubs for a good few years now....................... he then said well i dont want people working for us that were not born in yorkshire or lived here permanently all of their lives.............. with this phone down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so with this i telephoned the brewery directly still believing that i was speaking to the area manager to be told by a girl that it was actually ss himself who had said it and that she was very sorry about this i mean your staff should not have to feel that they have to appologise on your behalf at all...........

i read the phone number out and yep she confirmed it that it was ss himself!!!!!!!!!

all i can say now is a complaint has gone into the human rights commission about his attitude and about what he has said......... the receptionist said there is nothing i could do to stop him......... i say u wanna bet!!!!!!!!!!!

as far as i am concerned he is a foul mouthed, opionated, old cout that needs to get a grip on reality and stop treating everyone like this im absolutly discusted about his childish outrage on myself when my partner actually does come from this area and has lived here all his life aswell.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

absolute discrace and shame on what could be a nice brewery to work for too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :=:

First off may I welcome Oh Dear to the forum...

Having read the above post a few times, I still can't make head nor tail of want's going on.   Oh Dear would have us believe that Sam Smith's will only employ Yorkshire born and bred people to run their pubs.   (if only that was true :3>>)  I can say that this one is new to me. 

Oh Dear as stated that she as reported Sam Smith's to the Equality & Human Rights Commission.  But on what grounds, what proof as she got if it was a one to one telephone call.  The funny thing about Oh Dears post is she quite happy to use words like.."foul mouthed" and "old cout" but why?  Now I'm sure that if Humphrey has sworn at her over the telephone she would have told us, and using the words "old cout" is very offensive to us older posters on this forum.   I can't help being old and it comes to us all in time.

On a personal note, Oh Dear dose not write like a person who's English is their first language.

ian.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum oh dear and hope yous stick around. You would have got through to Humphrey on the area manager which is very common now. I know of several managers who are not from Yorkshire or even this country, who work for SS. Not sure whether this is a new thing or not. As you the receptionist at the brewery apologising on behlaf of Humphrey it makes me chuckle. Why do this.

Humphrey does on the other hand not have the best communication or people skills in the world. So don't expect to much in the past or future with this. Did he actually swear or just fed up of people phoning up about jobs, when he has so many other things to do with regards the business. He appears to have been lying very low of late.

With the growing number of new managers not from the Uk, his first language might not be english.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hello 'oh dear' - and welcome to the nut house, the world of Humphrey Smith! Yes, having got rid of (nearly?) all area managers, and taking on that roll himself, allegedly due to the lack of trust of his personnel, and no doubt a supposed money saving exercise HWS, (Smith) has taken on a roll of which he has little experience of, and seemingly even less consideration of the consequences of his actions.

I know of people who have been on the receiving end of HWS alledged racism and sexism - but obviously his vast wealth helps protect him from any ensuing consequences.

In my own humble opinion, I don't think it was anything about you not coming from Yorkshire, that was just an off-the-cuff excuse, I would say that what put him off was the fact that you told him you had experience. That's a big no no!!! Past testimony would suggest that HWS prefares people with little of or experience. And I think the reasons are; 1) easier to manipulate train in the Brewery's ways, and 2) less likely to be aware of when you are getting nobbled / your shirt lifted - in otherwords, inexperienced enough to realize (for some time at least) that you are being exploited. Other Sam's / ex Sam's managers will know exactly what I mean.

If you really do want to walk on the dark side, and have an eyeopening experience working for the brewery, then simply do this: Get your wife to phone, and when asked, say you both have no experience what soever, but are willing to both do your very best in the job (sounding eager and naive). But bare in mind - the job may not last for any predictable period - no matter how hard you try - unless of course the current regime (HWS) changes - currently unlikely in the foreseeable future. Anyway - all the best of luck - and keep us updated!  $$*
These are sad times :(

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
I have noted that Minsterman thinks Oh Dear is Male while I wrote as s/he was Female.

Now looking at oh dears profile, it states male but he talks of a male partner in his post.   Now if that is right and stated such to Humphrey, maybe that is why he stated you had to be from Yorkshire.   If I got it wrong and it's just a slip of a finger then I apologize for pointing this out.

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile

Oops! My mistake!!!  :::K

Well spotted Ian - and a very good point too. From what I have heard (and I may be wrong) a same sex couple may well be the reason why Humphs has got the Hump.

One manager told me in some detail, how a very hardworking member of staff, who had been with the brewery for some time, was forced out following a visit from Humphs, who had simply set eyes on that poor sole for the first time - and Humphs prejudice was such, that he insisted that that person be made redundant (for whatever reason) immediately.  :(
These are sad times :(

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
I also heard about a couple who ran a well known gay pub in Hull. He rang Humphrey up asking to run a pub.  He never got past Me and my male partner.................   :HJH

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
Humphrey is known not to like people that are different to his own opinion. This applies to several matters not jsut sexuality.

Well spotted Ian and shall see if he posts again.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline oh dear!!!!!

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
hello to all.........

firstly yes we are a gay couple but this was not brought up in the telephone conversation as i wasnt given anytime to do so......

at the time of writing the post i was still very angry and peeed off about the whole situation....... and i am from the uk......lol

cant believe what he said tho he is not a nice person i was speaking to a friend of mine only yesterday and she said that her and her husband had applied to run a pub for him aswell............ he turned them down on experience as it wasnt right for his pub chain the thing is how hard is it to run a pub with no tv's no music and no of anything fun well not that hard according to hump!!!!! so what are your customers ment to do i ask myself......

well this is the thing she is a steward in a wmc my friend this is and sorry to say this but even in these dark financial times even they have live groups, entertainment!!!! televisions and sky sports and to top it all off .............. even a jukebox!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noe hump thats a scary thing a jukebox that people can sing along too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and have fun

my god people its like talking about scrooge before christmas morning ent it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and sorry for the old cout comment i would of put swear words but thought best not too so was trying to be polite as possible considering the circumstances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take care all>>..... :D

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
hello to all.........

firstly yes we are a gay couple but this was not brought up in the telephone conversation as i wasnt given anytime to do so......

at the time of writing the post i was still very angry and peeed off about the whole situation....... and i am from the uk......lol

cant believe what he said tho he is not a nice person i was speaking to a friend of mine only yesterday and she said that her and her husband had applied to run a pub for him aswell............ he turned them down on experience as it wasnt right for his pub chain the thing is how hard is it to run a pub with no tv's no music and no of anything fun well not that hard according to hump!!!!! so what are your customers ment to do i ask myself......

well this is the thing she is a steward in a wmc my friend this is and sorry to say this but even in these dark financial times even they have live groups, entertainment!!!! televisions and sky sports and to top it all off .............. even a jukebox!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noe hump thats a scary thing a jukebox that people can sing along too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and have fun

my god people its like talking about scrooge before christmas morning ent it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and sorry for the old cout comment i would of put swear words but thought best not too so was trying to be polite as possible considering the circumstances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take care all>>..... :D

Thanks for the confirmation it clears up the situation. I still can't believe that he is asking if managers are from Yorkshire or not. Surely he is struggling to get managers at the moment and even relief managers to look after the pubs whilst the managers are away. Humphrey does prefer managers that don't have any experience, easier to manipulate to his way of thinking. As you say the managers have little resources to get customers into the pubs. Even other pubs with facilties are not that busy.

I am sure Humphrey will have a surprise for us customer this christmas. Not sure what yet. No turkey