Author Topic: Crisps  (Read 4526 times)  Share 

Offline Chutney

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Crisps
« on: Feb 20 - 2015 »
Whats happend to the cheese and onion chrisps they are like hens teeth up here, I have heard say they are comming out ready salted !
« Last Edit: Feb 20 - 2015 by Chutney »

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Chrisps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20 - 2015 »
There's been discussion on this subject on another thread, some think the quality has picked up, and as regarding other flavours, I don't doubt their opinion as I don't buy them. But as regards Cheese an Bunion, I am 100% with you Chutney. They have gone from being ( to me  ), the best, and I mean best, to probably the worst. They were fantastic, if expensive. I keep trying the odd bag, had one last week, but they really are poor, the taste is virtually non-existent as you say.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20 - 2015 »
Must say that the quality of the crisps has certainly gone downhill very fast indeed and now pretty much given up on buying a packet. Beef seem the only ones that have kept the same near quality.

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Chutney

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20 - 2015 »
Please donít let the quality control person at the crisp factory anywhere near the brewery or everything will taste like double four. Please note I put an h in crisps earlier just to add a bit extra flavour. Rubbish I can not spell.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20 - 2015 »
Please donít let the quality control person at the crisp factory anywhere near the brewery or everything will taste like double four. Please note I put an h in crisps earlier just to add a bit extra flavour. Rubbish I can not spell.

Quite agree, have tried double four for research purposes and not impressed with it. I do prefer my cask obb.  :BL
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Crisps
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21 - 2015 »
Must say I totally agree with OldBreweryDrinker - I tried the double 4 in The Earl Of Lonsdale for the first time a little while ago, and have tried it again elsewhere, I am not really a lager drinker, my favourite is OB, though I did have a bit of a session on the Pure Brew with my mate who loves it, before we went to see Status Quo at Clumber Park last year. Set us up quite nicely for the evening! Double 4 is so bland and, well, uninteresting, what is the point of it, a cheap inferior lager to the standard fare. Almost like drinking fizzy watter!

Offline Chutney

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21 - 2015 »
I think the double four is to cater for the fosters and carlin drinkers who can not get away with the taddy lager. I know a few few lager drinkers who will not go into a SS pub because they say the taddy tastes funny by that I think they mean it has flavour. They are quite suprised when they taste the double four and often state that it's ok. Back to cheese and onion have sam's pulled them of the shelves because of complaints? Some one with a bit of knowledge told me so!

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21 - 2015 »
Just nipped in t Hop Pole ( had to have a swift one, rude not to ), and all varieties still on sale, nothing known about pulling C &O off the shelves. Purchased a bag of beef, and they are definitely very acceptable, although I have no way of comparing them to previous offerings, seemed as good as the 'original' C&O used to be, if that makes sense. So let's hope Humph or one of his representatives looks at this and actually does something positive and constructive and has the quality / taste issue sorted.

Offline myke

• Member Karma = +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21 - 2015 »
well this is the second thread on this anyone tried complaining officially? I work in this industry and we treat complaints seriously. Obviously the "Hump" dont make the crisps they are made by a regular crisp company with his branding. Not looked but is there a complaints  address on it (prolly the brewery) but it will be passed on.
If you dont get complaints you will never think something is wrong.
The posts i make are my own. The oppinions i express are mine too.  :BL

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22 - 2015 »
Well, I've only complained to various staff / managers in different pubs, to be greeted with disinterested apathy ( if that's not an oxymoron )( which it is but I'm not going back / deleting ). There is no doubt a perception that humph / The Brewery would not care. There is the legally required bumph on the back of the packet, plus 'Produced in the UK for Samuel Smith Old Brewer(Tadcaster) North Yorkshire LS24 9SB'. It's the only product I can think of that does not have 'If this product......Blah Blah return it or contact Etc. on it. Not a legal requirement, I know, the address is sufficient, but shows what SS is like. Most have a phone number. But you are right - I shall have to send a letter, and hope they don't remember various other communications we have had...............

Offline Chutney

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22 - 2015 »
No sooner than I said and the cheese and onion are back in stock but with all the flavour of a pint of double four. I thought pub and club crisps were notorious for being over salty to make punters more thirsty and buy more beer! Has Mr Smith missed out on this one. I do not think so come on Mr Smith live up to your reputation and sort the matter out. I might not agree with your politics but i do admire your style.

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19 - 2015 »
August 15th 2015--- sweet chili crisps now on sale! Quite good, just let's see how long to degenerate......
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21 - 2015 »
Agree the cheese an onion flavour is poor, from the amount of Double Four hubby drinks, the brew isn't as bad as you describe.  Quotes his technical knowledge from being born in Tadcaster!  We definitely agree with your thoughts on Humphrey, how he runs things and the damage he has done to Tadcaster.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21 - 2015 »
For reasearch purposes we had a bag of plain plain and a bag of plain beef and the plain beef were more plain than the plain plain.

Hope that clears that up!  0-)

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23 - 2015 »
Must say that the flavorings have changed recently, if any of the pubs have the cheese and onion or beef flavor left. Been a few and both said that they were out of stock.

The chilli crisps are pretty good and tried a packet for research purposes only. Hope they get the supplier sorted out soon.