Author Topic: Managing a SS pub  (Read 8012 times)  Share 

Offline Pint

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Managing a SS pub
« on: Oct 20 - 2012 »
Not sure if this is the right place .....

I am looking at managing a SS pub with my other half.  Ive read a lot on here, I know a few of the pubs, close to the brewery and also many miles away.

I have worked in the hospitality industry for a few years now in various roles.  Mainly for privately owned or tennanted pubs.  Never for what I would call a chain (wetherspoons, marstons etc).

In my work in this area I have experienced all sorts of the things talked about here .... not using certain products to use up something else, maybe going out of date. And also not being able to veer far from the path, because if it worked it didnt need fixing.  Owners being very stressed whether it is about profits/ getting 90 meal covers out correctly and on time ... The industry is not a bed of roses, never has been and never will.

My question is .....

There seems to be a fair amount of ill feeling around SS pubs ....

Is this from Managers who have moved in and wanted to change things?  Managers who have not understood the ways of working in the hospitality industry? 

Or

Is it as bad as people make out??

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Oct 20 - 2012 by Pint »

Offline splash

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Managing a SS pub
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20 - 2012 »
it is whay you make it if you play by ss rules you are normally ok its the managers that think they can pull the wool over hs eyes that suffer most.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20 - 2012 »
I think a lot of the problems that people come on here to complain about are caused by Humphrey Smith taking on unsuitable people in the first place, which then comes back to bite him several months down the line, which is when he uses any excuse to get rid of them. Some of the people that have come on the forum to try to get support for their grievances against HS have resorted to swearing,  abuse and even the odd threat when anyone dared to disagree with them, which just tells me that their social skills are a touch lacking - not a good characteristic in a publican!

Most long-standing and experienced managers that just get on with the job seem to do alright, but as with any company, there are still going to be niggles. 

That said, the common thread seems to be the unreasonable lack of staff hours, insistence on 5% stock surplus and making up any shortfalls.

Oh, and HS's demands on new managers to significantly increase business at a time where most operators (certainly in the north) consider it good performance just to be standing still, might be a real problem.  It won't be easy - with a bit of effort the food offering can be made more acceptable and you won't have any TV or other entertainment to get punters in, but the low prices and excellent draught beers and lagers are a good selling point.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20 - 2012 »
Agree with both above posts.

Offline Pint

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20 - 2012 »
Thanks for all your comments. 

Offline splash

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21 - 2012 »
hope u work at ss as you sound like decent managers and they are needed x

Offline Pint

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21 - 2012 »
Thanks .. I would hope to be.

A lot of what I have heard I have experienced already one way or another. 

Im willing to give it a go so shall see .... makes me laugh people moaning about the long hours ... OH & myself currently doing 140 hours between us ... and thats just paid work, doesnt include house & family lol

Offline Johnbob

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Managing a SS pub
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21 - 2012 »
140 between you is nothing to what you'll do at sams, trust me ;)

Offline Johnbob

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Managing a SS pub
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21 - 2012 »
You would of been paid for them extra hours, not at sams

Offline Pint

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21 - 2012 »
You would of been paid for them extra hours, not at sams

Not necessarily JohnBob.  Some occupations are more of a way of living than a 9 -5 job where the job finishes at 5pm and you are standing at the door with your coat on.  Ive worked with people who class it as a 9- 5 job and they expect to get paid for every 5 mins they work overtime. 

I have probably worked at least 20 hours this week I havnt been paid for, thats the way it is.  You either have pride in your job and your work or you pitch up do a shift and go home  :)

Offline myke

• Member Karma = +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21 - 2012 »
Quote "You either have pride in your job and your work or you pitch up do a shift and go home"

excelent work ethic that i have always strived to achieve is the first part the job becomes an interesting challenge. I would hate to be the latter commomly known as a clock watcher.

Pint i wish you luck not every job is what you make it but it sure helps. will even come for a    :BL :BL if you arnt too far away or even a  :E20

The Hump may have his bad points but the beer is top class and well priced i like the atmosphere in the places and carnt see why a good manager wont do well. The food well it aint the best but its on par with most weatherspoons etc its a shame he forced all of his pubs to drop home cooking tho i think a mixture of home cooking and the sams menu would have been better

:-\ go for it
The posts i make are my own. The oppinions i express are mine too.  :BL

Offline Pint

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21 - 2012 »
Thanks Mike for the positive thoughts,

I've decided to go for it anyway ... right or wrong ... I can only make a go of it.

I've just been to the one I work in now to pick something up and I find myself (not paid) wanting to pick at the flowers on the tables which are dying ... things the kids don't see and then when one of the staff said a few boxes of wine and glasses had smashed in the cellar find myself volunteering to help clean up as I'm in my jeans and the rest of the staff are in uniform so I would be the one going home smelling of wine ... is this wrong ????
« Last Edit: Oct 21 - 2012 by Pint »

Offline myke

• Member Karma = +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22 - 2012 »
its not wrong its called dedication some employers reward dedication and others take advantage of it. unfortunatly most now take advantage of it but if i carnt be dedicated i carnt work.
We all know which side of dedication the hump is but there are lots of dedicated managers out there doing ok

Myke
The posts i make are my own. The oppinions i express are mine too.  :BL

Offline Coldstreamer

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #13 on: Apr 3 - 2013 »
Interesting perspective. I tend to agree that possibly a lot of people have wandered into the trade under some misguided impressions. I grew up in pubs and hotels and have on several occasions run city centre bars. Although my career has been more in professional services in the last 10yrs or so.

My partner and I are seriously considering a life changing career switch. Really fancy the pub idea and have always liked the Sam Smiths concept. Have things got better then? What are the costs involved? How much freedom do you have over the food aspect? I know it may sound ludicrous but are things like quiz nights and traditional games like darts, dominoes and cribbage encouraged and so on?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Objective and curious - generally have to experience something to make a judgement call

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 3 - 2013 »
Hi and welcome.

Well I will chip in first.
There are many folk on here that will tell of bad experiences with the head of SSOB. You pays your money and you take your chance and the money you pay is approx ?1000.00 Equally, but less vocally are many managers that find the job fine if you organise yourself and your staff hours properly. Food is a choice of one of three menu's and a free hand on a Sunday I believe. It's the old traditional pub with games etc that SS are trying to offer and promote - no nauseating telly's and music are allowed.
It won't be easy, pay for your drinks, make sure your staff do the same, keep a tight rein on your stocks and try to achieve the 5% surplus. One tip, don't mention any previous experience or you will be knocked back. Plenty of nice pubs to choose from....... Good luck.