Author Topic: Managing a SS pub  (Read 8421 times)  Share 

Offline Coldstreamer

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Re: Managing a SS pub
« Reply #15 on: Apr 3 - 2013 »
@East Coast Beer Drinker - thanks for the prompt response, appreciate what I consider to be a fair and balanced perspective. I do know of someone who recently (over a year ago) had a grievance about the way they were treated, but outside of the public perspective they didn't pay for many of their drinks and also exceeded some other contractual elements.

Anyone know who the Area Manager is for the North of England out of interest? Got a phone number but no name, personally I like to know who I am speaking to before making a call.

As for the previous experience, all pretty ad-hoc stuff so I would hope it wouldn't be a problem. My view is that the training and the experience has to be worth the ?1,000 bond or whatever it is. If I was being totally honest our real goals lay overseas, but if we can do a good job for a couple of years and create a win win win for SSOB, the customers and ourselves than I would be delighted with that outcome.
Objective and curious - generally have to experience something to make a judgement call

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Apr 3 - 2013 »
@East Coast Beer Drinker - thanks for the prompt response, appreciate what I consider to be a fair and balanced perspective. I do know of someone who recently (over a year ago) had a grievance about the way they were treated, but outside of the public perspective they didn't pay for many of their drinks and also exceeded some other contractual elements.

Anyone know who the Area Manager is for the North of England out of interest? Got a phone number but no name, personally I like to know who I am speaking to before making a call.

As for the previous experience, all pretty ad-hoc stuff so I would hope it wouldn't be a problem. My view is that the training and the experience has to be worth the ?1,000 bond or whatever it is. If I was being totally honest our real goals lay overseas, but if we can do a good job for a couple of years and create a win win win for SSOB, the customers and ourselves than I would be delighted with that outcome.

Your welcome.

Yes, a tad one sided on here at times and of course you never hear the "other" side of the story.

Only one area manager and brewery head, Humphrey Smith and his phone number is the one you will ring. Go on gumtree and search Sam Smiths and vacant pubs and contact number should be there. If not, it's on here somewhere. Seriously, don't mention past experience and he usually comes to your home to interview you.

Offline splash

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 3 - 2013 »
totally agree not as bad as its made out to be if you work for the boss :D

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 3 - 2013 »
Hi & welcome to the forum

There are many varied tales and experiences of the brewery and the boss. I know some manager that have worked for SSOB for many years and seem happy enough, or just getting on with the job. Also know others that have lasted a year or so, and been given a strange reason for their departure. So you would need to make up your own mind on that. Yes some managers, drink the beer, but as long as you keep track then there should be no problems.

The bond money is a ?1,000 bond which is just security for the money the pub takes. Plus any difference in the stock. As long as you get the 5% surplus as required and a decent food stock as well. Food comes in three different menus depending on the type of pub. Sunday lunches are available in some SS pubs, but not all. Most SS pubs tend to be the more old traditional pubs.

It won't be easy running a SS pub, but good luck if you decide to take one. Keep your head down and look after the stock and things should be OK.Lots of lovely pubs available at the moment. Just say you have no experience of running  a pub.

The area manager for the whole of the pub estate is Humphrey Smith, he owns the brewery. Besides been the Chairman & Joint MD.

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Pintataddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
I think the problem with Sam Smiths is too many people think they know what really happens even when they have no experience of it at all. Too many people listen to hear say...and thats fair enough but there are many Managers who do the job and are still working for the brewery...like our local they have been there for about 18 months. There is obviously reasons behind Mr Smith sacking some managers and not others. Will we ever really honestly know the reasons? I think not.

The way I see it  if you are up for hard work not a massive pay then running one of his pubs is fair enough. You get a job and a house to live in and as long as you do what you sign up for then you may last.

In this day and age with jobs hard to come by then it may well be an option. Just don't believe everything you hear or read. Managers in my local refuse to engage in conversations about the brewery or Mr Smith and really I think that's how it should be, but what do I know??

Its really one of those think about it carefully situations. In the end only you can decide whats right for you. Just be aware that you have do do what it says on the contract and once you sign it you really cant moan about it as you knew what you were getting into in the first place.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
I think the problem with Sam Smiths is too many people think they know what really happens even when they have no experience of it at all. Too many people listen to hear say...and thats fair enough but there are many Managers who do the job and are still working for the brewery...like our local they have been there for about 18 months. There is obviously reasons behind Mr Smith sacking some managers and not others. Will we ever really honestly know the reasons? I think not.

The way I see it  if you are up for hard work not a massive pay then running one of his pubs is fair enough. You get a job and a house to live in and as long as you do what you sign up for then you may last.

In this day and age with jobs hard to come by then it may well be an option. Just don't believe everything you hear or read. Managers in my local refuse to engage in conversations about the brewery or Mr Smith and really I think that's how it should be, but what do I know??

Its really one of those think about it carefully situations. In the end only you can decide whats right for you. Just be aware that you have do do what it says on the contract and once you sign it you really cant moan about it as you knew what you were getting into in the first place.

I do totally agree, when a new management couple arrive at the pubs; customers come and tell the new managers all about how bad the brewery is. Plus all sorts of information about the brewery and how badly run it is. Many of my local SS pubs have had longer term managers, than other areas around the country. There are some pubs that you jsut never really know why the managers have been sacked. Some customers speculate and adds to the story sometimes. Not good.

You do get paid a salary and a place to live for the length of the contract. As already mentioned there is a lack of jobs at the moment. Think carefully and decide for yourself. Good luck if you do decide to take a pub.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline jboycott

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
Some people who contribute to this forum seem blissfully unaware that many, many working people are treated like sh*t by the companies they work for - right across the economy. In retail hours and pay rates have been slashed, with a "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude. Zero-hours contracts are becoming the norm for shop workers, as if 4-hour and 8-hour contracts weren't bad enough. No paid-holidays, no sick pay etc etc. No overtime rates or bank-holiday premiums for most. On top of this new management theories are brought in and staff basically have to do as they're told - no you don't know better, even if results prove that you do. Most managers have to implement "orders" even if against their better judgement. Older, more experienced people are disregarded and made to feel unwanted, their knowledge shunned and even mocked - make way for younger more pliable and obedient staff. This is my and my partners experience of where the world of work is headed if you are unfortunate enough to work for a medium/large company.

Offline formermgr

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
I worked for the company for just short of 3 years at the same pub and would not in any way what so ever accepting a position within this company at the present.

Offline Coldstreamer

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
I have to say I am delighted to have found this forum. Some great insightful and obviously impartial and objective balanced advice has been provided. Just wanted to say thanks to all who had contributed so far.

My partner and I just want to do something different. We are outgoing and gregarious, okay I'm opinionated and cranky, my other half is the personality  ;D I do believe having spoken to some management couples in our local pubs (not SSOB) and so on that it is one of those things you have to do to find out. As someone said, its like marmite. You will either love it or hate it.

My own experiences of Sam Smiths pubs up and down the country from London to York have always been refreshingly positive. I rather like the conversation pub, the community pub and the social hub. Personally I really dislike all the pretentious rubbish that you get in most 'bars' these days. Oh and I can light a coal fire as well, which might come in handy  :()
Right I'm going to give Humphrey a call tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.
Objective and curious - generally have to experience something to make a judgement call

Offline jboycott

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
You sound like the right kind of people for the type of pub I like, Sam's or not. Glad you haven't been put off by all you've read. Good luck! J

Offline Pintataddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
Yes I agree that its good you have not been put off. I think life changes should never be based on idle gossip, hearsay or telltales....

One of those until you try it you will never know.

Lots of luck

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
Glad you found the forum and have now read a balanced view to SSOB. As you say until you have tried it you just never know. Hope your personality's will go down well with the customers and staff alike.

So at least you have visited a few SS pubs to see what they are like, from the outside point of view though. So starting from a better view than others.

Good luck

Offline david march

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Staff
« Reply #27 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
My advice is not to have anything to do with the company , call into Bridge Street newsagents before 9pm and ill explain how the company works and not a biased opinion as i dont drink .
The shops on the same street as the training centre , and my names David

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
My advice is not to have anything to do with the company , call into Bridge Street newsagents before 9pm and ill explain how the company works and not a biased opinion as i dont drink .
The shops on the same street as the training centre , and my names David

Everyone has their own opinions about the company and the boss. Just trying to keep a balanced view on it. I am sure your views would be useful to any new managers. Also might be worth asking the other SS managers in the pubs in Tadcaster as well.

Offline david march

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Staff
« Reply #29 on: Apr 4 - 2013 »
sometimes things are just obvious truths and not opinions