Author Topic: Pint Measures (off topic content split from 'tiger haxby' thread)  (Read 6404 times)  Share 

Offline The Grump

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Well said samsdrinker i too believe the site is losing it's way, by the way it is a minimum of 95% in glass a pint is a pint 20oz law.
but once again the managers have to bear the brunt of this tyrant.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
Well said samsdrinker i too believe the site is losing it's way, by the way it is a minimum of 95% in glass a pint is a pint 20oz law.
but once again the managers have to bear the brunt of this tyrant.

You've only made 27 posts, so if the site isn't up to your expectations, why not contribute more to it?

The 95% is an industry guideline, and a sensible one in my view as otherwise everyone would be drinking flat pints, or paying more for pints in lined glasses.

Offline The Grump

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
tut tut 27 posts or a 1,000 posts makes no difference, the managers still bear the brunt of the tyrant that is humphrey as he DEMANDS HIS 5% & if the managers don't make it they are either sacked or it comes from there bond, i wonder have you been there and felt his wrath!.

Offline The Grump

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Whoops forgot why would they pay more for lined glasses, these are for use with metered pumps... same price for beer.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
Whoops forgot why would they pay more for lined glasses, these are for use with metered pumps... same price for beer.

Lined glasses are used for free flow dispense. Unlined glasses are used with meters - what would be the point of having the beer measured twice?

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager

Lined glasses are used for free flow dispense. Unlined glasses are used with meters - what would be the point of having the beer measured twice?

Sorry OTD, but you are wrong there my friend.  Metered beer is dispensed into oversized glasses
that are marked at the pint measure.  This is then proof to customers etc. the amount you have been served (rather than to measure it). Freeflow beer is dispensed into 20oz brim full glasses with no measure mark on them.  The brim full glasses don't need a mark because the measure is the glass size.  :) :)

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile

Sorry OTD, but you are wrong there my friend.  Metered beer is dispensed into oversized glasses
that are marked at the pint measure.  Freeflow beer is dispensed into 20oz brim full glasses with no measure mark on them.  The brim full glasses don't need a mark because the measure is the glass size.  :) :)

No, it's you that's wrong. Metered beer is usually dispensed into oversized glasses with NO line because the measuring is done by the cellar equipment. There's nothing stopping a pub using lined glasses but why would anyone deliberately go to the expense of buying lined glasses that are far more expensive than unlined, when they don't have to?  It also causes problems when customers see their pint going nowhere near the line because the head's included in the measured pint.

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
OTD if you look at my modified message you will see that I explained that the line on the glass is not a measure, but only proof to the customer, excise people etc. what is in the glass.  Every where I've ever drunk metered beer have had a lined glass.  Maybe where you drunk didn't.  No problem.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
OTD if you look at my modified message you will see that I explained that the line on the glass is not a measure, but only proof to the customer, excise people etc. what is in the glass.  Every where I've ever drunk metered beer have had a lined glass.  Maybe where you drunk didn't.  No problem.

A lined glass is a measure - it has to be government stamped - and the proof is the seal on the dispense equipment.  I've only occasionally seen metered beer poured into lined glasses and that was only because the pub used lined glasses for free flow dispense instead of brim measure glasses.    All that said, I can't remember the last time I came across a pub using meters - it used to be nearly everywhere in the North East.  Far easier on the stock to use free flow which is why I can't understand Sams putting it in to sell keg OBB.

Offline The Grump

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
That is so humphrey can demand his 5% ie lined glasses 22 oz glass for metered dispense & 20oz glass brim for free flow, with the 22oz lined the rest of the glass above the line is to account for the head of the product, this is why he changed all his pumps to free flow so he gets that little bit more from us the customers but once again if we the customer go back to the managers and ask for it topping up whilst he is in the building he then gets onto the managers for putting too much in, wherein ive seen one manager turn and tell him he is not breaking the law for him, what happens next, manager suspended then promptly sacked which is what the original post started out with, everything goes back to the managers and that is stress on them...

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
That is so humphrey can demand his 5% ie lined glasses 22 oz glass for metered dispense & 20oz glass brim for free flow, with the 22oz lined the rest of the glass above the line is to account for the head of the product, this is why he changed all his pumps to free flow so he gets that little bit more from us the customers but once again if we the customer go back to the managers and ask for it topping up whilst he is in the building he then gets onto the managers for putting too much in, wherein ive seen one manager turn and tell him he is not breaking the law for him, what happens next, manager suspended then promptly sacked which is what the original post started out with, everything goes back to the managers and that is stress on them...

That's what I was getting at - if he wants his 5% everywhere then why is he apparently putting in metered dispense equipment in some pubs - doesn't make sense!

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER

A lined glass is a measure - it has to be government stamped - and the proof is the seal on the dispense equipment.  I've only occasionally seen metered beer poured into lined glasses and that was only because the pub used lined glasses for free flow dispense instead of brim measure glasses.    All that said, I can't remember the last time I came across a pub using meters - it used to be nearly everywhere in the North East.  Far easier on the stock to use free flow which is why I can't understand Sams putting it in to sell keg OBB.

As far as I know there are only two SS pubs that have the electric metered pumps fitted and problems still persist with them. The pint glasses don't have a line on them, but the half's do. Still a large number of cask OBB or other beer drinkers are still staying away.

Such a pity as the OBB when it was cask was lovely and I miss it, depending which SS pub I choose
« Last Edit: Nov 30 - 2012 by The Webmaster »
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline The Webmaster

• The Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths.info

Note: FYI - This thread has been extracted from the off-topic content of the 'tiger haxby' thread.

If it's not broken - it's been fixed!