Author Topic: Tadcaster Through Time  (Read 1022 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Tadcaster Through Time
« on: Jul 28 - 2015 »
Just come across this article in the York Press and thought that some members on here might be interested in it. Some interesting photos for BB, and the book is also for sale

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/features/13487393.Tadcaster_through_time/
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tadcaster Through Time
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29 - 2015 »
I have a copy of the book,it has some great photos including one of the old brewery offices when it was where the deli and jewellers are now and a few of the SAMs pubs.

Offline titejawdee

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 1 - 2015 »
Just been having a look at those photos.  "The Travelling Man" pub - was that on the York Road out of town, and about opposite Ward's the butcher ?  I believe the last licensee was Bill Wilson.  Bill was also garage foreman at the Tadcaster Police garage, first at Crabgarth by the river, and then at the new premises on Station Road.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 2 - 2015 »
Hi ,you are correct it was opposite Wards butchers.It became a John Smiths pub in 1896,the licence was not renewed in 1967 and a licence was granted to a new pub on Stutton road(jackdaw).In 1974 the former pub was sold to Crowther Estates Ltd and demolished soon after to be replaced with housing.