Author Topic: The Red Lion. Horncastle  (Read 4978 times)  Share 

Offline elaine

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
The Red Lion. Horncastle
« on: Aug 5 - 2015 »
Hiya,
We are all excited in Horncastle as our beloved Red Lion is re-opening on Saturday !!  Not only was it Oakwell Brewery (so it was cheap) it is now Samuel Smiths (even cheaper) thank you for coming here, we are all forming an orderly queue and waiting patiently, after all, it has been closed for 2 years, 2 months and 1 week  :HD  :GIVEB:  :HD

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Red Lion. Horncastle
« Reply #1 on: Aug 5 - 2015 »
Hiya,
We are all excited in Horncastle as our beloved Red Lion is re-opening on Saturday !!  Not only was it Oakwell Brewery (so it was cheap) it is now Samuel Smiths (even cheaper) thank you for coming here, we are all forming an orderly queue and waiting patiently, after all, it has been closed for 2 years, 2 months and 1 week  :HD  :GIVEB:  :HD

Hi there and welcome to the forum.Thank you for your first post,just to let you know this is an unofficial SS site and not connected to the brewery. I look forward to visit the new pubs that SSOB are opening. Hope you enjoy the SS products. Please keep us up to date about this pub. Many thanks OBD
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline elaine

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 5 - 2015 »
thank you for your welcome.  Will certainly let you know about our Red Lion, have spoken to the new Managers and they seem very nice.............looking forward to Saturday.

Will have to dig out some old photographs as Red Lion is a very old Public House.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 5 - 2015 »
thank you for your welcome.  Will certainly let you know about our Red Lion, have spoken to the new Managers and they seem very nice.............looking forward to Saturday.

Will have to dig out some old photographs as Red Lion is a very old Public House.

Thats alright,always good to get new members from different parts of the country. I am sure BB would be interest in any old photos that you have,along with any history. Thanks OBD
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +31/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 5 - 2015 »
Welcome to the forum elaine,is the Red Lion Theatre still allowed?,I look forward to visiting,BB.

Offline elaine

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 5 - 2015 »
Hi BB

Yep, the theatre is still in use, the next production, as far as I am aware, is next month

Regards, Elaine

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +31/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 5 - 2015 »
Great that the theatre is still going,sent a few emails to the theatre group months ago when they were trying to find out what was going on,best wishes BB.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #7 on: Aug 6 - 2015 »
Elaine, if you can get us some photos of the pub as a Samuel Smith's pub and before it was a Samuel Smith's pub that would be great!

DB.

Offline elaine

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 6 - 2015 »
Yep, will do.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +31/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 7 - 2015 »
Some nice pictures of the Lion on this site,just scroll down to The Bull Ring,also could you let us know if they have handpulled Old Brewery Bitter,cheers,BB

http://www.horncastlecivic.org.uk/photogallery/index.php?thisgallerytopic=HotelsPubs

Offline elaine

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 7 - 2015 »
Hi BB, just been looking at the site.....wonderful piccies!!!!  I looked through the windows today and everything is almost ready for tomorrows opening, so will let you know tomorrow what beers are on. 

With reference to the old photo's, I was talking to the new managers the other day and they reckon the Smiths want to replace the old archway and was telling me that they actually replaced a pigsty in one of their pubs in Yorkshire as they are sticklers for authenticity which is great news for us in Horncastle !!

Looking forward to tomorrow...as is half the population of Horncastle lols

Offline elaine

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 8 - 2015 »
The Red Lion is now well an truly open.  A good job done on it...lovely and lovely to be back.  We had the OBB and Dark Mild both are great drinks and cheap !!!!!

Thank you SS for coming to Horncastle   :DD

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #12 on: Aug 8 - 2015 »
The Red Lion is now well an truly open.  A good job done on it...lovely and lovely to be back.  We had the OBB and Dark Mild both are great drinks and cheap !!!!!

Thank you SS for coming to Horncastle   :DD

Good to hear.  All of the pubs that have been refurbished by the Brewery have been done to a high standard.  I used to go in Widow Cullen's Well in Lincoln on a regular basis before I moved away, and that too was excellent.

DB.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11 - 2015 »
Good to hear and another SS pub for me to visit at some point next year I feel. With the new additions SS is stretching itself into the south. Many of the SS pubs are finished to a very high standard and look very good. I like Widow Cullens well as well as the Robert Raikes to. I have many favorites now that so many have been updated.

Offline Johnstone

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13 - 2015 »
Spent an enjoyable hour in the pub yesterday! No handpulls at present but OBB excellent on keg! Jacky & Andy doing a fine job so far.
Further refurbishment is underway with kitchen expected to be up & running next month & cellar re-fit soon along with PBL & Wheat beer installation
Will be in again next week for another OBB at 1.80!