Author Topic: Migliaccio & Ors v Samuel Smith (Southern) UKEAT/0267/14/JOJ  (Read 1236 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Just come across this interesting court case involving Samuel Smith Southern & gratuity.I know the SS pubs in the North with a card machine charge a 1.58% card fee.But didn't realise that the George & Vulcan charged a 12% fee  :HJH

Thought this may be of interest to members.

http://www.employmentcasesupdate.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed26442 
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
I have a menu from the George and Vulture from a few years ago and on the bottom it states"A suggested 12.5% service charge will be added to your bill"it's a bit tatty but will scan it if of interest.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
I have a George and Vulture menu I obtained in April. No mention of service charge. The only thing is a line stating that prices are inclusive of vat @20%, followed by allergy and intolerance bumph. I also note that Stingo is 13.70, about 75p more than in the pubs that stock it in London.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
And I'm fairly certain that the 1.58% surcharge is higher in London, 1.7something from memory. It amazes me when I see someone paying with a credit card for a pint. A pint! fer chrissakes. I imagine it's because they are hocked to the hilt and can't get any actual cash until the next payday.

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
There are two different charges here.

1) The 1.58% charge if applied for using a credit card for payment.
2) The 12.5% service charge is a "tip" for the staff.

The 1.58% charge is ubiquitous across the London Samuel Smith's pubs and I believe it is the same rate in other UK pubs - this makes sense as the card charge would be the same across the UK, as one contract with one company for one service in all pubs.

I have not yet read the link.

DB.