Author Topic: Whitby pubs  (Read 968 times)  Share 

Offline bitterboy

  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 964
  • Member Karma = +33/-0
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Whitby pubs
« on: Aug 20 - 2015 »
I got a great book on loan called A History Of Whitby Pubs,it says that in 1904 a superintendant Pinkney attempted to close down a large number of pubs of which four were owned by Sam Smiths,the Brewsters session was attended by Mr Samuel Smith from the company.

The Plough,previously known as Speed the Plough was described as having four public rooms which were low,dark and badly ventilated and too small.Police also objected to the entrance which was down a dark alley from Baxtergate and that there were sixteen licensed houses within two hundred yards.The brewery put in plans for more spacious improvements and these plans were accepted as were the new plans for the Jolly Sailors which was expanded taking in Briggs garage which stood next door.

The Oak Tree on Church Street was described as being in a dilapidated state,being so damp the landlord no longer lived there,despite promises of improvements and an appeal at a later date the licence was refused and the pub closed April 7th 1904.

Bird in Hand,(aka Market Tavern/Hotel) at 11 Market Place was described as partitioned up being so dark even in daylight it was difficult to see what was going on,it only had one entrance and no urinal provided for customers!.Mr Samuel Smith,managing director of the brewery put plans forward to improve the premises to take in adjoining property next door and backover towards the harbour these premises already owned by the company.The plans were accepted and the pub stayed open,at some point it was sold to Camerons and closed in 1985.

Offline Malchetone

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 53
  • Member Karma = +1/-0
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Whitby pubs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21 - 2015 »
This is down to the 1904 Licensing Act.

In 1830, the Duke of Wellington enacted the Beer House Act in an attempt to curb the national taste for gin. The Act allowed anyone to brew and sell beer and cider on payment of an annual 2 guinea licence. As a result, over 40,000 Beer Houses opened in the next decade.

The 1904 Act was an attempt to counterbalance this, and allowed for pubs to be referred for closure with compensation being paid out of fund created from a levy on all licensed premises.

The Act gave authorities the right to refuse to renew licenses if the licensee was deemed to be an unfit person, the terms of the license had been breached, or the premises were deemed to be inadequate.

Consequently, a degree of horse-trading went on between the authorities and pub owners. Many pubs were closed and others were allowed to keep their license on condition that they were improved.