Author Topic: Fox and Hounds, Boston Spa and Humphrey's ten bob refurb  (Read 4394 times)  Share 

Offline bartender

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Twenty odd years since the house was last refurbished ended this week when the brewery dipped in their pockets and replaced the thread bare trip hazard of a carpet with a nice new carpet. And it is nice and durable all in all a good pub carpet.

Then they go and spoil it with re-upholstery that would have matched the flock wallpaper of a nineteen eighties Chinese restaurant that simply doesn't work with the carpet or the new paint job.

And yes it is a new paint job but it just happens to be the same colour as before and to prove it the painter has kindly left a 2 foot by 4 foot section behind the lounge door untouched which includes an area where the paper is off and down to the bare plaster. The ciling has been re-painted nicotine beige-wierdly. after painting they decided to take out the redundant smoke eaters and have left the mounting holes and a section of the old paint.

Humphrey's abortion could have looked so good if they had an interior designer - I hope that we don't have to live with this for another quarter century!!!

Offline bartender

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
I think the term "you get what you pay for" springs to mind.  What is ten bob??? (Born after decimalisation)😇

Offline Factman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Staff
50 pence

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
Looks like a typical job done for SS lately by that amazing company Woolers. They seem to get loads of work and never quite finish it, Harewood Hotel is a brilliant example. Never not there now.

May be by next year it might be finished.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
Dear Humphrey - when are you going to realise that interior decorating isn't your best skill, why would you want thousands to be spent and then find you have snagging list as long as your arm because no one has controlled the workers on site? The art of a good leader is to know their strengths, focus on these and let someone assist you with other areas of your business.  Employ an expert and I am sure you will save money in the long run.  How many other successful businesses do you know run along your lines?

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
Dear Humphrey - when are you going to realise that interior decorating isn't your best skill, why would you want thousands to be spent and then find you have snagging list as long as your arm because no one has controlled the workers on site? The art of a good leader is to know their strengths, focus on these and let someone assist you with other areas of your business.  Employ an expert and I am sure you will save money in the long run.  How many other successful businesses do you know run along your lines?

Unless anyone knows better I don't think HS is responsible for designing the decor' in his pubs.  Certainly not for the big refurbs! I say this as it was someone else that arranged the colours and works when ours had a tart up!

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Tapatalk?

Was that 'Morse code' in an earlier life?

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!

Any images of the good bits or is it still work in progress?

Offline bartender

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Still awaiting alleged new upholstery, chairs and stools etc. The place still looks barren with no curtains - supposedly this is so Humph can see in -for the customers it is like sitting in a goldfish bowl. The good news is that after two and a half years with reliefs we now have a new management team who are not there for their own gratification in between bowls matches!

Offline bartender

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
It is now February and happily the new upholstery is in place it looks warm snd welcoming, still a goldfish bowl effect as no curtains but soon be light enough to see out which should minimise that effect

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
Glad to hear that the refurbishment here is still ongoing,but seems to be taking ages. Or is it just doing little bits every so often.

Is Dot still here, as not visited for a while?

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
It is now February and happily the new upholstery is in place it looks warm snd welcoming, still a goldfish bowl effect as no curtains but soon be light enough to see out which should minimise that effect

I don't know for sure but it seems that curtains are being removed as a policy whenever some sort of freshen up takes place. I didn't like it at first when ours we removed but now I don't notice. Only thing is that in winter they kept out a lot of drafts.

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile

I don't know for sure but it seems that curtains are being removed as a policy whenever some sort of freshen up takes place. I didn't like it at first when ours we removed but now I don't notice. Only thing is that in winter they kept out a lot of drafts.

My local SS pub also lost it's curtains after the refurbishment, a shame but not too bad.Apart from the winter months as the drafts comes through. Though the new coal fires are lovely on a cold winter's night.

Offline discjockey

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
As regards to the non renewal of curtains this has happened at the Three Tuns Birtley when it had its overall last Sept/Oct