Author Topic: Leeds - and Rumours..........  (Read 1701 times)  Share 

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Leeds - and Rumours..........
« on: Sep 13 - 2015 »
Just spent a couple of days at Leeds. Got to the Barleycorn at Scholes and The Blands Arms, Micklefield Wednesday, on the way to the hotel. Both did nice drop of cask o.b.. I noted a few signs in the Bland Arms. These are as accurate as I could write down when I got to my car, so apologies if not entirely accurate, the one about 5% is certainly missing a few of the words.  'We do not allow the use of laptops tablets etc. in trade areas. No transmission of music / tv in trade areas'.     'We serve full cream head beer into brim - measure glasses. The above accepted trade standard is 95%. please feel free if this not achieved' ( there was a middle line about the 5% which I cannot recall in detail ).     'There is a company policy of 20 minutes drinking up time'.  ( my wording a little off ).
    I got round a few (4) in the town centre on Thursday. Started with the Angel Inn. Was surprised to see non-regulation ( SS standard ) glasses in use. In the old shape of glass, angled straight sides - as per glasses in the emoticons. Anyone else seen these in use? Asked manageress for directions, she mentioned The Eagle Tavern which is being renovated, being 'turned into a proper b&b'. Reasonable cask o.b - the last cask, all rest were keg.
   Next up was The Duncan. Gordon Bennett, this place simply blends in with such  minimal signage. Proper drinkers pub.
   On to The Red Lion, which was covered in scaffolding, in place as being repainted. Only me and another punter, we got chatting. He expressed the opinion that Humph had taken the London pubs away from young Samuel, adamant about it. And that the terms of the covenant say that no-one over the age of 70 could run the brewery - which had been pointed out to him by young Sam. Hence the alleged rift? And that Humph was legally challenging this under EU law as age discrimination.
   Thence to The General Elliot, which, until I sussed there is an upstairs area, I would have gone for being the smallest bar.  Again, a drinker's pub. Had a good chat with a local, sound bloke but can't recall his name. Told him I was on the tour - he asked if it went quiet when I went in The Duncan - they'd think I was C.I.D.!  I didn't think I was that dressed up! He also told me the Red Lion used to be a gay pub and was nicknamed The Pink Pussy. He also claimed that a goodly chunk of Boar Lane was owned by SS. Which explained it's condition. He also recommended a non - SS pub, The Templar, only a 5 minute walk. So I tried it, good selection of 'real' ales, if you are near and not sticking to SS pubs, I'd recommend it. That's my little nuggets of gossip - time will tell if there is anything in these claims. If they aren't true, I wonder where people get these ideas from. Still good to meet locals though.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Leeds - and Rumours..........
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18 - 2015 »
Sam was definitely in London week commencing 14th September as we saw him in the Princess Louise and had it confirmed he was still working for Humphrey by other staff in the London area this week.  It's a while since we have been to London (couple of years) and whilst the prices have increased the pubs we visited have obviously had a lot of money invested in them.  Beautiful old buildings which have been sympathetically restored.  Even saw signs encouraging people to download the SS app, a few menus displayed outside and Samuel Smiths displayed in the old fashioned windows.  Is this the first signs of a marketing campaign.  It certainly made it easier for us to recognise the pubs when walking down the street.  Even managed to find those covered in scaffolding.

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Leeds - and Rumours..........
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25 - 2015 »
Marketing?  That's usually a slippery slope IMHO. BUT I want to see the signage put back; nothing tacky, nowt wrong with what they used to have. If it ain't broken, don't fix it....(or fix it until it is!)
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.