Author Topic: Taddy Bridge  (Read 13867 times)  Share 

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Taddy Bridge
« on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
Just heard on breakfast Look North that Humphrey has refused permission to build a temporary bridge from west side to Sainsburys. I know he owns the land but surely!! Does he not care about the town and its people.  :-x

Offline Malchetone

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Taddy Bridge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
People need to be careful about the wording of such statements.

Claire Frisby stated that Humphrey Smith had refused permission for a bridge when in fact, if permission has been refused,  it would have been refused by SSOB, Wharfe Bank Limited, or some other entity, not Humphrey Smith. This, er, confusion could explain why it appeared in the 08:30 bulletin, but not the 09:00 one.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +31/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
There is a public meeting tonight at 7pm at Riley smith hall with Tadcaster Emergency Action Group and NYCC,wonder if anyone from the brewery will be there,very much doubt it.I also saw Johns brewery put 50K into a relief fund.Is it the temporary footbridge brewery has objected too?.
Edited to add,I hear it is hoped that the unaffected side of the bridge will be passed safe for pedestrians so not surprised brewery said no till they find out.
« Last Edit: Jan 11 - 2016 by bitterboy »

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile

Offline JohnF

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
I have also heard that Humphrey has refused permission for the temporary footbridge for general use and it has just been reported on Look North that "negotiations with local landowner(s) have stalled. We all know exactly what this means  don't we? It really now is time for him to go. Not only does he enjoy playing with the lives of his staff in general but now he has decided to manipulate the world at large. Has he no thought for anyone else at all?

Offline ademapearl

• Member Karma = +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
An update in the Press this afternoon refers to a statement issued by the brewery. My jaw dropped......firstly because the brewery issued something more than a 'no comment' statement, but secondly for the reason given for opposing the bridge. Humphrey considers that the 500,000 estimated cost of a footbridge ''would not be good use of taxpayers money'. I find this statement of breathtaking arrogance, that someone could consider inflicting a year of misery because of a penny pinching attitude. Yes, it is a lot of money, but the floods have caused a lot of expense to a lot of people. Tadcaster desperately needs to be reunited as soon as possible, so please, Humphrey, listen to the residents, forget the cost, and let the footbridge be built next week.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
Just watched the news on BBC and had to comment on the news about Humphrey.  Nothing surprises me with his ideas.  Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and spend money on a temporary measure before we get the best bridge built which will last Tadcaster for another 300 years.  I'm not a bridge building expert, only a taxpayer.  Humphrey you are not an expert bridge builder either to my knowledge so why don't we let those in the know think about the problem and get it sorted...

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
Did they not report that he would open up a path nearby? Maybe the viaduct one?
I don't know Tadcaster well enough to know if the offer is of any benift to the residents so sorry in advance!

Offline Jez1954

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
also heard the news just now on LN. They quoted 300K as the cost of the temp bridge and stated it was being blocked by the owner of SS brewery who won't give permission for the land next to the damaged bridge to be used. They did say he will pay for upgrading the footpath over the viaduct upstream but to get to it you have to walk through a number of muddy waterlogged fields and it's a fair detour if you're elderly. The Govt are providing the funding and as SS do not decide Govt policy they should pi** off and let those with more sense crack on and reconnect the town.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
Too right, would you want your elderly relatives or other loved ones hiking through the waterlogged fields?  The danger of walking along poorly lit areas could lead to residents suffering at the hands of some undesirables.  For once Tadcaster is at the forefront of everyone's mind so let's make the best use of it for the residents of Tadcaster.

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
latest update from York Press

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/14195726.Update_6_45pm__Brewery_hits_back_after_criticism_over_footbridge_decision/

Am I right in also thinking that HS wouldn't allow Highways or whoever permission to build slip roads on his land when the by-pass was built which is now causing great problems with the long detours. Islington can only get into Taddy from York Direction, no exit east bound on A162. Surely the government should just tell him to f... off and build the temporary bridge. How on earth will someone in a wheelchair or mobility scooter access the viaduct.

I also note the brewery commented via E mail!!!!!

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
Just on twitter

DavidDunninguk ‏@daviddunninguk  43m43 minutes ago
#tadcaster David Cameron will be asked to phone Humphrey Smith to make him allow footbridge on his land @minsterfm news

and meeting at Riley Smith Hall up in arms about his comments

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
Sorry Humph

Its time to go!!

DavidDunninguk ‏@daviddunninguk  1m1 minute ago
#tadcaster meeting @minsterfm news Calls to boycott Sam Smiths pubs. Didn't go down well with employees in room

Offline JohnF

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11 - 2016 »
Seems in general we are nearly all of the same mind - that said, what is SSOB etc other than Humphrey Smith? I appreciate what Macheltone says but seems that HS considers that whatever he says has to happen. The location of the temporary bridge he has put forward is of no practical use to anyone on a day to day basis.

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12 - 2016 »
The decision by Samuel Smith's Old Brewery not to grant permission for a temporary footbridge across the Wharfe on their land adjacent to Sainsbury's is outrageous and completely contrary to the community spirit shown by town residents and businesses since the Boxing Day flooding.

This morning I met with the government's Flood Envoy, Robert Goodwill MP in Tadcaster. He is of the same opinion as me that the Brewery owner should immediately reconsider his position and allow the construction of the footbridge, which is so badly needed by residents and traders to reconnect the town.

Alternative positioning of the footbridge is being actively considered now to ascertain whether a different location is feasible given the size of the structure. Additionally, every legal avenue is being examined to see whether the initial desired location can still be utilised, despite the landowners unwillingness to cooperate.

The government has acted speedily since Boxing Day to support flood victims, including the announcement of 3.3m funding for Tadcaster Bridge and a temporary footbridge. It is, in my view, an extraordinary decision for one individual to unilaterally decide that this assistance is not a good use of taxpayer's money. I'm sure that many people in the town will share that view.

Nigel Adams MP (from his Facebook page).