Author Topic: Taddy Bridge  (Read 16966 times)  Share 

Offline Chutney

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Taddy Bridge
« Reply #45 on: Feb 1 - 2016 »
After all the stick Humphrey has taken I would be charging a toll to access the bridge, sounds like a good business opportunity to me. It would also cover the cost of returning the land back to its original condition. Like all other toll bridges you pay the fee or go the long way round. Every one was happy to privatise all the public services why not a bridge. Where is Tadcaster anyway? :P

Offline Beer Belly

• Member Karma = +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 1 - 2016 »
If the cannel tunnel is owt to go by you would be best leaving the bridge down. Saying that you might end up with a migrant transit camp on the north bank full of Geordies and Jocks looking to better themselves down south.

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Taddy Bridge - new petition..
« Reply #47 on: Feb 3 - 2016 »
This came through my email today..

The building of the temporary bridge is well under way and hopefully all being well should be ready for use soon. If you would like to see a footbridge as a permanent fixture in the town then there is a new petition, showing support for this; and asking the government to provide the funding. Please follow the attached link to sign and then share it as widely as possible. 10,000 signatures will... Read more
These are sad times :(

Offline discjockey

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 3 - 2016 »
In response to beer belly's post regarding the geordies and jocks - I moved up to Newcastle in 1973 and have no complaints re the people up here - they are friendly and hospitable and like the Leeds United followers very patriotic and football mad. After all they are only 90 miles down the road. Your worry is if the occupants south of Taddy decide to up sticks and move north, after all it is not just a local issue more like a national one  -- wonder if Syrian refugees like Sammy Smith's OBB or Taddy lager?????

Just get Taddy connected up again and let life get back to normality for everybody's sake.

Offline Chutney

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 4 - 2016 »
Ho your north! I think you might  find most Syrian refugees are forbidden alcohol.

Offline Beer Belly

• Member Karma = +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Feb 4 - 2016 »
Karma -4? I see the politically correct liberals have wormed their way in. Yet another nail in the coffin of free speech. It is such people that have taken the Great out of Britain and given us what we are left with today.

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 4 - 2016 »

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 4 - 2016 »
Glad to hear that the bridge is opening next week,bet it will make a big difference to the residents of Tadcaster. Not so for the drivers though as they will still have to go round the long way.But at least is progess.

A longer time for the bridge to fully restored,may be a year or so.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16 - 2016 »
No posts on any subject for over a week, is everyone on holiday?

Anyone from Tadcaster care to comment on the new bridge?

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16 - 2016 »
No posts on any subject for over a week, is everyone on holiday?

I was thinking the same! No posts, no news?

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16 - 2016 »
Anybody see the news report on telly last week? I saw it on national telly in London at the weekend.  This whole bridge thing, how long it takes to reinstate or sort even temporary bridges is a mystery to me. There was a similar situation in a town near me a few years ago, over what was at the time, newly re-opened rail line. We won't go into the lack of coherent forward thinking i.e. check the bridge BEFORE you open the f****** line. Just have the road shut for 18 months. In WW11, they used to chuck Bailey Bridges ( in a matter of days, even hours ), over canals, small rivers, brooks, big rivers - often under fire. Then they ran whole divisions and corps of men, trucks, tanks, the big red ball, for months, even years before 'proper' bridges were reinstated. Yet this seems impossible today. We've become bogged down with the lassitude of committees, experts, opinions, listening to every arsehole and his dog, health and safety etc., etc., etc. Instead of just getting on with it and the 'can do' attitude. I really do think we've lost it in this country. Rant Over! 

Offline ademapearl

• Member Karma = +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17 - 2016 »
A thought - now that the new footbridge is open, will Mr Smith use it when he walks to and from work, or will he stick to his principles and take the longer route via the old railway viaduct in order to cross the river?

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18 - 2016 »
A thought - now that the new footbridge is open, will Mr Smith use it when he walks to and from work, or will he stick to his principles and take the longer route via the old railway viaduct in order to cross the river?

Stop him getting cautioned by the bobbies for sneaking across the damaged road bridge.(caught twice) 

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20 - 2016 »
Is the 'unofficial' gents toilet still in use at Taddy Albion? If so that will be a 'relief' to some! Eh eh. http://samsmiths.info/forum/Smileys/animated/rolleyes.gif

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sep 17 - 2016 »
Just read about Sam Smiths plans against the the proposed widening of the bridge.  Two comments on reading the news:-
1) the council should have realised Sam Smiths/Humphrey would oppose it somewhere along the process
2) nothing surprises me about Sam Smiths
This would have been a great opportunity to work together for the residents of Tadcaster providing a bridge with a suitable width for pedestrians.
Hubby and I still debating whether the bridge will be rebuilt by this Christmas.