Author Topic: Sovereign posing as CASK?  (Read 1680 times)  Share 

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Sovereign posing as CASK?
« on: Mar 16 - 2016 »
I have had several pints of 'cask' OBB this last year or so,, which had a distinct Sovereign taste and texture. Also, suspiciously 'bright', keggy in appearance, and not at all like a cask beer would look. Anyone else had this? In case you wonder, I have nearly 50 yrs. experience of cask, most of that with SSOB so feel I am picking up on something. Or is there a filtered cask offered to some pubs where turnover may be slow? This happened in a few places where cask had been withdrawn, only to re-appear years later. Hmm.  ?S?
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.   Imperial-->:DKB <-- Stout!

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Sovereign posing as CASK?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17 - 2016 »
I have had several pints of 'cask' OBB this last year or so,, which had a distinct Sovereign taste and texture. Also, suspiciously 'bright', keggy in appearance, and not at all like a cask beer would look. Anyone else had this? In case you wonder, I have nearly 50 yrs. experience of cask, most of that with SSOB so feel I am picking up on something. Or is there a filtered cask offered to some pubs where turnover may be slow? This happened in a few places where cask had been withdrawn, only to re-appear years later. Hmm.  ?S?

Whilst I don't doubt what your experience is telling you I don't see how this can happen! What I think is that OBB seems not to be as consistent, since the floods I would say? OBB never ceases to amaze me with it's range of different flavors it can conjour up. No two casks are the same and whilst all casks should be kept the same, I think once it arrives in the pub, from then on depends on what tastes your going to get. 
As for banging Sov into casks and floging it as OB I very much doubt as well.

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19 - 2016 »
I have noticed this, before the floods. It definitely was lacking in appearance and depth of flavour. Too damn clear for a cask beer, - absolutely crystal shining bright. I agree cellarmanship can wreak havoc or do the greatest good, depending on who looks after it. As a natural product, some variability is expected. I have had this happen with other breweries beers, when there were such things as strikes or distribution difficulties. Bass products, Wilsons, and Thwaites having done so, and I saw first hand in the pubs cellars the adaptations to fit the handpumps to the different fittings of the bright beer containers (not strictly kegs, AFAIK). Having been sold Sov once or twice when I wanted cask, thats where I get the flavour hints from. You never know....... (actually, you usually do, lol!). Your round, anyway,,,cheers!
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.   Imperial-->:DKB <-- Stout!

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19 - 2016 »

Doubt it's Sovereign, that would be 'passing off' and to risky. Mind you could explain why I was getting p.....d quicker.

It is possible that after the 'floods' some OBB could have gone out as 're-racked' (filtered) but that was supposed to have stopped years ago. Would prevented the loss of 'gallons' of cloudy stuff and perfectly legal.

OR and I hope 'this' is a better explanation. Because of the damage caused to the Old Brewery, the could just have started again after the clean-up and the quality has 'returned/improved'. With the newer brews.

Cheers! time for a pint of, 'whatever's' in the pump. (hic).

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30 - 2016 »
Hi Centurion,,, quality issues still ongoing I find,, in the last few weeks,I have been told of some being returned to brewery, and yes, re-racking may have been responsible for the less than 'full-on' cask experience I refer to.  I tried another pub nearby where quality is usually a bit on the low side, only to find it some of the best I have had in there! C'est la vie, non? Reliability could indeed have coincided with the flooding. More research needed --- any excuse for a pint! (it's a dirty job etc.......)

Offline Barsteward

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #5 on: Apr 3 - 2016 »
Hmm... that's unusual. The pub I work in has cask OBB and we haven't had any barrels with beer in this 'lightened' state. Perhaps we've just been lucky with the supplies we've been sent. *shrugs*

The only other thing I can think of, and I'd rather be wrong on this, is that someone is filtering Sovereign into the cask barrels to bump up stock levels, especially if this is more obvious around line cleaning day. Far easier to dump beer into a cask than a risky de-gas of a keg...

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 4 - 2016 »
Hmm... that's unusual. The pub I work in has cask OBB and we haven't had any barrels with beer in this 'lightened' state. Perhaps we've just been lucky with the supplies we've been sent. *shrugs*

The only other thing I can think of, and I'd rather be wrong on this, is that someone is filtering Sovereign into the cask barrels to bump up stock levels, especially if this is more obvious around line cleaning day. Far easier to dump beer into a cask than a risky de-gas of a keg...

WHAT... can that still be done?? That will get the tongues wagging.  http://samsmiths.info/forum/Smileys/animated/smiley-char145.gif

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 8 - 2016 »
On reflection,, probably not Sov., more likely the non cask Bitter/best or whatever it's called; colour was a better match with that than Sov. which IIRC is lighter. Still very 'bright' and not at all cask look, taste or feel. Hope not to encounter it again, anyway!