Author Topic: Fox and Hounds,Tadcaster  (Read 1524 times)  Share 

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Fox and Hounds,Tadcaster
« on: May 19 - 2016 »
An interesting picture from 1948 showing the Fox,also the original grammar school and a Johns pub,(all demolished),can anyone tell me the name of the Johns pub?.

Offline Factman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Staff
Re: Fox and Hounds,Tadcaster
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21 - 2016 »
The building was actually the chauffeurs house and not a pub.

Offline discjockey

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21 - 2016 »
Coming from Taddy I can remember (1960's) one of the John Smiths chaffeur's was called Jack Thorpe and they had a daughter called Susan (I think) cannot for the life think of his wife's name. Anybody else remember the family.

Offline Factman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Staff
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21 - 2016 »
I remember him very well, he was a great friend to my wife and myself. Jack sadly passed away a few years ago in Harrogate.

Offline titejawdee

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15 - 2017 »
In the photograph, where is the 'original' grammar school ?  I was given to understand that the grammar school was down by the parish church, just off Kirkgate, and the school later became the Tadcaster DHQ/Police station.  The school hall there was used as a courtroom in the 1960's.

Offline discjockey

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15 - 2017 »
Having lived in Tadcaster as a youngster I cannot remember any of the old TGS buildings being down by the parish church, I can recollect the hall opposite the church but that was not attached as such to the police station. Indeed, don't quote me but I have thoughts that at one time the Police Station was in fact a residential house before being reallocated. I do however, remember the old TGS buildings on the corner of London Road - I attended the new school premises at Toulston (can't recollect as to when the actual move was made). The site of the old TGS was taken up by John Smiths for garages. Perhaps a local historian might read this post and shed some light on what happened.

Offline titejawdee

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16 - 2017 »
Tadcaster's original Police station was situated on York Road, almost opposite the Leeds Arms pub.  The building is still standing, and the old West Riding Police badge is apparently still on the wall.  I must have passed it hundreds of times, but I never noticed the badge. It them moved to the premises off Kirkgate, and above the church, in the 1920s or 30s.  It was an operational building, together with living accomodation.  It was the Div. Headquarters for the old Tadcaster Police Division, which covered Tad., Garforth, and Wetherby areas. The Traffic garages were situated at Crabgarth by the river.
I forget where I gained the information re the transfer from Grammar School to Police Station.