Author Topic: A Managers lot  (Read 8175 times)  Share 

Offline Wakey

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
A Managers lot
« on: Apr 14 - 2013 »
As a Sams manager I have read many of the postings and I have to agree a Sams management position is not the best in the world. We are expected to increase sales and barrelage and yet without any assistance from the brewery financial or otherwise! Our establishment has been Humphed in the past and received absurd instructions. Its not that my wife and I are beginners at this between us we have 40 years of experience!!
I agree with the lack of trade experience expressed by some posts on the site and I was gobsmacked with the lack of experience of most of the attendees during my training week but this does not and should not excuse poor management and customer services as also posted elsewhere.
I would love to tell more but this would reveal me to the mad tramp. We are looking to move on from Sams so in the future please look out for a future posting that will raise a few eyebrows and generate some genuine laughs.
To the other managers out there keep your heads down and your chins up!
To the customers please understand why we may be having a bad hair day sometimes - a lot of what you read is oh so true

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: A Managers lot
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14 - 2013 »
As a Sams manager I have read many of the postings and I have to agree a Sams management position is not the best in the world. We are expected to increase sales and barrelage and yet without any assistance from the brewery financial or otherwise! Our establishment has been Humphed in the past and received absurd instructions. Its not that my wife and I are beginners at this between us we have 40 years of experience!!
I agree with the lack of trade experience expressed by some posts on the site and I was gobsmacked with the lack of experience of most of the attendees during my training week but this does not and should not excuse poor management and customer services as also posted elsewhere.
I would love to tell more but this would reveal me to the mad tramp. We are looking to move on from Sams so in the future please look out for a future posting that will raise a few eyebrows and generate some genuine laughs.
To the other managers out there keep your heads down and your chins up!
To the customers please understand why we may be having a bad hair day sometimes - a lot of what you read is oh so true

Welcome to the forum wakey, and thanks for your post. As you say you are expected to increase sales and barrellage with no assistance from the brewery. Eg no proper food, no music or televisions. So what are the managers suppose to do to increase trade. Even quizes are lsot now as the brewery has stopped sending the sheets. If you ahve experience then you are at an advantage to others. Good luck if you decide to move on with SS.

Keep your head down below the parapat and you may survive.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ronald mcdonald

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14 - 2013 »
As a previous manager all im going to say is that there are a hell of a lot better companys to work for... But there are also a few that are starting to follow in his tracks. How they get away with it is wrong. We spent 11 months and 3 weeks working our butts off to be given our notice. We had one member of staff robbing off customers giving free beer away it took us 5 months to get rid and as soon as we were gone she s back working there. We have now got a nice free house pub THAT HAS MUSIC, ENTERTAINMENT AND WE CAN EVEN ADVERTISE EVEN THE FOOD WE DO IS FRESH NOT PING FOOD !!!!! SO THANKS HUMP YOU DID US A FAVOUR!!!!!! :DDDD:

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14 - 2013 »
As a previous manager all im going to say is that there are a hell of a lot better companys to work for... But there are also a few that are starting to follow in his tracks. How they get away with it is wrong. We spent 11 months and 3 weeks working our butts off to be given our notice. We had one member of staff robbing off customers giving free beer away it took us 5 months to get rid and as soon as we were gone she s back working there. We have now got a nice free house pub THAT HAS MUSIC, ENTERTAINMENT AND WE CAN EVEN ADVERTISE EVEN THE FOOD WE DO IS FRESH NOT PING FOOD !!!!! SO THANKS HUMP YOU DID US A FAVOUR!!!!!! :DDDD:

Yes there are plenty of better companies to work for. It is wrong how they can get away with sacking managers. Glad you have found another decent pub company to work for.

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline big worm

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 1 - 2013 »
Since getting the sack off that old chap me and my wife have never looked back. he did us a favour i suppose, i forget they way he treated us though, we had a 7.2 highest and a 6.4 lowest surplus and he still sh*t on us.
Like i said before watch your back Smithy, ive not forgotten about you!!

Offline big worm

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 1 - 2013 »
P.S i didnt call him the Old Chap....

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 1 - 2013 »
 You know, in this forum there has been a lot of talk about-no tellies, no music, poor food- all explanations about why it's so difficult to increase custom in a Smith's house, even though the old fool thinks otherwise.  But what seems to have been overlooked is the fact that many of his houses have perfectly nice, even lovely, function rooms, that are now no more than redundant.  The pub we ran was in the lovely room catagory.  Some years ago when we went into our Sams pub, we had some great ideas about how to utilise the room, therefore increasing trade, we thought, significantly.  Within months, all our best laid plans were thrown out the window when he took all music etc. out of his houses.  A while later it was said to him that the rooms could be used, with music etc., without incurring any costs to the PRS and the like.  It was pointed out to him that because it was a private party, he wouldn't need a licence.   His answer....."it's against company policy".   When asked for a copy of the company policy his answer was quite abusive (not worth printing), hence the thought from that day onwards was that he makes it up as he goes along-company policy that is.  For all the speculation, and that is what it is, the payments to the PRS are not the sole reason for him stopping all entertainment in his pubs, if indeed they are a factor at all.   The main reason is, for some reason, he just doesn't want it. Que Orwell and The Moon Under The Water senario.  Question is why, after all these decades, has he suddenly turned??  We will never know the answer to that question of course! :U :U

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 1 - 2013 »
You know, in this forum there has been a lot of talk about-no tellies, no music, poor food- all explanations about why it's so difficult to increase custom in a Smith's house, even though the old fool thinks otherwise.  But what seems to have been overlooked is the fact that many of his houses have perfectly nice, even lovely, function rooms, that are now no more than redundant.  The pub we ran was in the lovely room catagory.  Some years ago when we went into our Sams pub, we had some great ideas about how to utilise the room, therefore increasing trade, we thought, significantly.  Within months, all our best laid plans were thrown out the window when he took all music etc. out of his houses.  A while later it was said to him that the rooms could be used, with music etc., without incurring any costs to the PRS and the like.  It was pointed out to him that because it was a private party, he wouldn't need a licence.   His answer....."it's against company policy".   When asked for a copy of the company policy his answer was quite abusive (not worth printing), hence the thought from that day onwards was that he makes it up as he goes along-company policy that is.  For all the speculation, and that is what it is, the payments to the PRS are not the sole reason for him stopping all entertainment in his pubs, if indeed they are a factor at all.   The main reason is, for some reason, he just doesn't want it. Que Orwell and The Moon Under The Water senario.  Question is why, after all these decades, has he suddenly turned??  We will never know the answer to that question of course! :U :U

I agree that there are many Sam's pubs that need music for lots of reason's and especially for the function rooms that thrive on weddings, party's birthdays etc. It is another example of the "one cap fits all" that really doesn't work. It's a company policy that is understandable but I would look at each pub on a totally individual basis, discuss with each manager and develop a strategy for that pub. This would include food and function rooms. Over here we don't need music or telly's, but that's not to say that other pubs don't! Especially as things have now changed with the PRS!
HS has moved with the food policy to a better product and three varied menu's to choose from. Maybe the tide can change some more?

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 1 - 2013 »

I agree that there are many Sam's pubs that need music for lots of reason's and especially for the function rooms that thrive on weddings, party's birthdays etc. It is another example of the "one cap fits all" that really doesn't work. It's a company policy that is understandable but I would look at each pub on a totally individual basis, discuss with each manager and develop a strategy for that pub. This would include food and function rooms. Over here we don't need music or telly's, but that's not to say that other pubs don't! Especially as things have now changed with the PRS!
HS has moved with the food policy to a better product and three varied menu's to choose from. Maybe the tide can change some more?

The new destination food menu, seems to have improved many SS pubs over the last few months. Even small functions are avaialble at some SS pubs, with the new menu. Which includes kids meals again. Music would suit some SS pubs, but not all. As already mentioned with the new rules regarding PRS, this is step forward.

Otherwise it's the same for new managers and managers alike.

Offline Wakey

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #9 on: Feb 2 - 2014 »
Well its all happening!  Got him by the balls so my next posting will be a beauty   C==CC

Offline rufustfirefly

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #10 on: Feb 3 - 2014 »
The Ebor on Bishopthorpe main street has funeral parties almost every day and there are 2 tvs in the back rooms ? Also some background music occasionally  ?????   Company policy ?          Oh and cant wait for your next posting wakey  :-X

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 3 - 2014 »
Is it a managed house or a tenancy,there are some tenancys still about ?

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 3 - 2014 »
There is only one tenancy at Sams.  Is it the Ebor?? ::) ::)

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 3 - 2014 »
Just googled it and yes it appears to be the last tenancy,thats the reason for music etc