Author Topic: Look out Look out, theres a Humphrey about  (Read 20890 times)  Share 

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
Humphrey is in the Cleveland area tonight.
Been into a Sams pub in Yarm and barred two long standing customers, for telling him his ding ding food was crap.. I was there at the time, in fact I held the door open for him when he walked in.

Will post more details shortly. 
Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
Re: Look out Look out, theres a Humphrey about
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30 - 2008 »
Yes its true, the great man himself was in Yarm tonight about 7.30pm.
Landords/Landladies night off, upstairs enjoying their bath and supper, in walks Humphrey, announces to the bar staff who he is and enquires whether the management are in/out.
Member of staff rings upstairs to inform manager that Mr. Smith is here.
In the meantime Humphrey questions staff about when and what food is served, Yes food is normally available, but not tonight as its the managements night off, was the staffs reply.
Two gentlemen, who are incidentally very well respected and long standing customers advised Humphrey that the current menu of microwaved pies is not acceptable and not really what the cusomers want.
Humphrey replied there is nothing wrong with the food being offered in his pubs and indeed if there had been food on offer here tonight HE would have ordered and eaten it.

The two gentlemen then proceeded to inform Humphrey that his food was indeed crap and no one was buying it anymore,
Humphrey then informed the two gents that they were "Barred" from the premises.
The whole incident lasted no more than 5 minutes, when Humphrey jumped into his old banger and buggered off, presumably to go and throw his weight around in another of his pubs.
I watched and witnessed the whole episode, by the time the manager came down, he had gone. 

Another prime example of Sams... customer (we dont ) care policy.

I have to admit to not ever seeing anything so bizarre and sureal, quite pathetic really if I was to be honest, certainly not the actions of a supposedly successful businessman, more like a spoilt child who can't get his own way.

Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

Offline Alpine Drinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30 - 2008 »
Tell us anon of course where Humphrey has been and what he's been upto ::)
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31 - 2008 »
As I've posted elsewhere in the past - if he keeps up the same pathetic attitude, it's only going to be a matter of time before he upsets the wrong person, at the wrong time, and ends up getting hospitalized.

This is why I say - for Humphs personal safety, anyone who is close to him, and/or family, need to help him. I honestly believe he is at severe risk of injury or worse.

What scares me, is the thought that either, 1) he wont listen to anyone whatsoever, family or otherwise, or 2), those who are supposedly 'close' to him - don't really care too much what happens to him.

One final point, any business/businessman/businesswoman on this planet, at any time or era, with even the most rudimentary intelligence, would conclude that if a major policy change (i.e. the introduction of 'ping pie') is not popular with the buying public - then it is obviously a very bad idea which should be reversed.

Little Humphrey Smith's attitude to the public which has paid for his wealth, is totally despicable - as he blatantly treats everyone with contempt.

I'm sure if he could have things his way, he would lock the customers in his pubs, and not let them out until they had ordered and eaten his choice of food.

Someone like that, doesn't deserve the past loyalty of staff, managers and customers - his behavior can only be described as greedy, selfish, inhumane, and just possibly insane.
« Last Edit: Oct 31 - 2008 by Admin »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31 - 2008 »
Mr. Chuckles, the Messiah is on his second coming, again with his chopper out. Chopping hours off here and there and everywhere. The hours are in the teens, so don't plan on having a Happy New Year unless something happens soon to revert this serious situation.
Does anyone out there know if he can legally make us have seperate days off in order to covere the job and save day off staff hours. ::)

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31 - 2008 »
Does anyone out there know if he can legally make us have seperate days off in order to covere the job and save day off staff hours. ::)

From what I can gather, working arrangements will be as per your contract of employment, so long as it doesn't contravene employment law - which of course incorporates the minimum working wage.
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31 - 2008 »
Making you take seperate days off does not  sound unreasonable to be honest, a bit of a tough decision maybe, but probably wouldn't be seen in a tribunal as "unreasonable"...though as Admin suggests it would be wise to check contracts etc.
Its an obvious management decision which "may" save them money, however you are both still entitled to the time off so its difficult to see any saving as both your shifts would need to be covered by someone....(hope that makes sense...lol) 

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31 - 2008 »
Where I am coming from is whereby I might work the whole day one day and my wife has that day off, the next day she would work all day and I would have the day off. With alternating hours with each other throughout the rest of the week we would be like "Strangers in The Shite, exchanging glances." (trying to laugh) hence the saving of 10 hours staff pay, because we are covering each other. How can that be acceptable in todays society?

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31 - 2008 »
I see, so there is a real saving of 10 hours, yes it is not good for your relationship anyone would agree with that, however you are employed as management couple and whilst its not in your best interests, they, (your employers) would argue that it is an operational requirement.

You are both still getting your day off so that could be deemed reasonable in employment law, however there may be other issues regarding length of working hours, breaks, etc, For me, it is unreasonable to expect someone to work all day and night without the possibility of a break, but then I am not an employment law judge.

However we are aware that Sams do seem to ignore staff welfare, working time directive, health & safety etc etc on a regular basis so whats new.

By the way, dont know if you have joined a trade union yet but it would be very wise to do so, they have all the expertise to answer any queries, employment law can be a minefield.

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 1 - 2008 »
Thanks Maddog. I am in Unite, the old T&G. It remains to be seen whether or not they can help us with the ensuing court cases in South Yorkshire.
If they fail then we are doomed. We can only hope that they do us proud especially for our fallen colleagues.
For anyone reading these posts, don't sit idly by thinking that you are safe and secure and that the current situation will pass you by, it will not. Get in a bloomin' union pronto. The more members the more support we can rely on. If you know of anyone not able to communicate through this site then put them in the picture as to what is happening.

Offline macho

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 1 - 2008 »
what unions are people with at the moment? I have seen 2 mentioned so far...

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 1 - 2008 »
Hi Macho. Unite which is the old TGWU, and GMB, Mike D Williamson of the GMB posts on this site look there for info.These are the 2 Unions colleagues are in.

Offline bluemoon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 9 - 2008 »
can somebody confirn dave beswick is not there anymore ,,,,,,,
am i right in saying he replaced Bryn Hayes?????????????
DB DIDNT LAST LONG DID HE

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
« Reply #13 on: Nov 9 - 2008 »
Regarding financial information - if it's the company accounts you are referring to, the last publicly available were in 1982. The company then became 'unlimited', which means they don't have to have any accounts available for public scrutiny.

The last public accounts from 1882 (purchased from Companies House) can be viewed here..

http://samsmiths.info/Archive/accounts_1982.pdf

You can also download a copy here..

http://samsmiths.info/Archive/accounts_1982.zip

With reference to contacting family members of HS

Brother of Humphrey R.W. Smith, and Co Director

Oliver G.W. Smith
Healaugh Old Hall
Healaugh
Tadcaster
North Yorkshire
LS24 8DA

Humphrey Richard Woollcombe Smith

Oxton Hall
Tadcaster
North Yorkshire
LS24 8DX
« Last Edit: Jul 3 - 2009 by Admin »

Offline Submitted Anonymously?

• Submitted by a non-member of this website.
  • Administrator
  • Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths.info
« Reply #14 on: Nov 9 - 2008 »
can somebody confirn dave beswick is not there anymore ,,,,,,,
am i right in saying he replaced Bryn Hayes?????????????
DB DIDNT LAST LONG DID HE

as a former employee I was sad to hear of Dave Beswiwick's demise (NOT!!!).Having been buggered 7 ways til Sunday by big brother(!?) I can only say that it WAS a grand old team to play for.

(Anonymous person reference ID: scotland)
The above message has been submitted by a non-member of this community, and may have been submitted anonymously - through our contact section. It is possible that the submitter may wish to conceal their identity, to avoid any persecution by the brewery, it's staff or agents. NOTE: The post does not necessarily come from the same person.  If not submitted anonymously, a name may be included.