Author Topic: Look out Look out, theres a Humphrey about  (Read 20114 times)  Share 

Offline icefire66

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Look out Look out, theres a Humphrey about
« Reply #15 on: Nov 9 - 2008 »
has dave beswick definitely gone?

Offline alibo

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11 - 2008 »
just been told new rep 4 m/c is called mark butler

Offline bluemoon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11 - 2008 »
ref ,, new area manager m/cr
that was only advertised last thurs 6-11-2008
do we think he had area manager lined up for daves job?????

Offline alibo

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11 - 2008 »
dunno all i know is my mates been tryingto get hold of rep dave n when i texted after reading about humph taking over got reply above

Offline Alpine Drinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11 - 2008 »
are we talking reps or area managers here?
can the above please clarify
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

Offline icefire66

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11 - 2008 »
probably means the same thing  ???

Patel

• Non-Member
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18 - 2008 »
Watch out managers in the north mr smith is on a mission to get rid of you all

Patel

• Non-Member
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18 - 2008 »
Please come back mick thompson please mmmmmmmmr smith is a f**king c*nt

Offline Alpine Drinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18 - 2008 »
well humph is 65 next year we can but hope he will retire

i did say hope I won't hold my breath!
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

Offline billyboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19 - 2008 »
Why do people think that the brewery is in trouble because of the actions of Humphrey Smith , the brewery has been around a lot longer than Humphrey has been here and i'm sure will be here long after he has gone, ( sorry if this is not of the opinion of everybody on here).

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19 - 2008 »
Woolworths had been around for a long time! If Sams fail to keep up with customers wants and needs, the same fate may await them.

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19 - 2008 »
Why do people think that the brewery is in trouble because of the actions of Humphrey Smith , the brewery has been around a lot longer than Humphrey has been here and i'm sure will be here long after he has gone, ( sorry if this is not of the opinion of everybody on here).

A very valid point. I would assume that the brewery in itself, is very profitable. Maybe some of the venues (pubs, etc..) are not, or not as profitable as they could be. I'm sure the overall asset value of 'the brewery' and estates are quite immense. But is a business successful, simply because of it's financial worth and profit?

The business as a whole, will also command a high operating overhead - and so if profit margins are relatively small per unit (low cost beer), then a decrease in turnover, could hit the business quite hard. As the 'Unlimited' company has a financial liability on it's owner directors (Humphrey and Oliver), then they may not bee too keen to see their personal asset worth deteriorate - especially as they will have already lost a lot recently with the overall estate decreasing value.

Some companies would consider themselves less than successful if, despite having a healthy trading profit, they were in some ways moving backwards - i.e. getting a sliding reputation, decreasing sales, etc.

I think everyone would agree with me when I say, that there's no getting away from the fact that the brewery produce some fantastic products, whilst maintaining a traditional grounding of a past-popular and very successful business. And even Humphrey of course, has paid a leading role in maintaining those high standards, making not only their produce, but also their venues and employees, generally very popular with the paying public.

However, when such a successful, and popular business starts to lose grip of it's own traditional, hard-worked for values, and 'top reputation' longevity - it just seems a crying shame - especially when the cause is from the same person who did something very different, not too long ago.

Yesterday, a few of us were debating all of this (over a beautiful pint of Sovereign), and concluded that one possibility would be that in the past, some one, or some people, have taken advantage over Humphrey (and/or Oliver's) past good nature and trust. This may have happened on more than one occasion, rendering the brothers paranoid, and over-reactive.

If this possibly proved to be true in anyway, then it's a shame that the actions of one or just a few, are making things miserable for so many more - including the brothers themselves.

Finally, as Hollybush states - if it can happen to Woolworths...!
« Last Edit: Jul 4 - 2009 by Max »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline 357maddog

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Mad dog hot sauce..mmm
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19 - 2008 »
Woolworths had been around for a long time! If Sams fail to keep up with customers wants and needs, the same fate may await them.

Yes that is so very true, multi million dollar companies can fall virtually overnight if all the wrong circumstances occur...and anyway who really gives a f-ck what Humph thinks anymore, he IS wrong but isn't big enough to admit it..and hey after all he doesn't even need to.

As a lifetime lover of Sams beers (Admin, I too love Sovereign...without doubt the best "smooth" bitter I have ever tasted) I just hope that we can carry on enjoying the brewery's wonderful products for a long time yet, and Humph can go and fu-k himself bandy.

Anyone who hasn't been affected by the current regime either Manager or customer is extremely fortunate...but dont speak too soon, he'll be around to your local soon.

I do not think for one minute the man has no intelligence, I think he knows exactly what he is doing, I agree with Admin's previous posting regarding Humph's mental state, in the current financial climate he should be battoning down the hatches and riding it out, however he seems to fly in the face of anything thats obvious and continues to tear arse around the country upsetting and sacking experienced Managers and treating his customers like dog  s-it on his shoes.

To hell with the man and his sidekick monkey fob, what goes around eventually does come around, dont worry. 
Beware the toes you tread on today are not attached to the leg that supports the arse that you are gonna have to kiss tomorrow.

Offline bluemoon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 9 - 2009 »
CAN ANY CURRENT MANAGERS UNDER ROCHDALE PLEASE CONFIRM WHO THE AREA MANAGERS ARE PLEASE ??????
IS HUMP WORKING ROCHDALE ?
HAS LINDA LEFT?
IS DAVE BESWICK STILL THERE OR IS IT TRUE HE DIDNT LAST 12 MONTHS?
IAN DAFF?

THANKS EX MANAGER

Offline bluemoon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 9 - 2009 »
If hump is over Rochdale way , how many managers have been sacked??????
I know of one who is very close........