Author Topic: My sam smiths story  (Read 5776 times)  Share 

Offline who wants to know?

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
My sam smiths story
« on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
Hi right now i'm free ill tell my tale. I started working for ss as a manager in one of they're pubs 2 years ago. My husband and i decided we needed a fresh start my husband had always wanted a pub of his own he had just lost his job i had been out of work for a few months we were having problems with the neighbors etc so a fresh start seemed like a good idea well anyways we applied for a pub. HS came around to our house (he didn't introduce himself so we had no idea who he actually was) and interviewed us this was on the Wednesday that week he offered us a pub. We took a day or two to mull the offer over and eventually decided to take it.
The next Monday we started training for 5 day then sent of to sinclairs to do the usual 2 days management training. the day after we got back we were thrown into a stock take and took over the pub that day. When we arrived at 11am we knocked on the front door we were confronted by a rough gypsy looking woman who informed us they were closed for a stock take so we told them why we were there. They were shocked this woman had been landlady for 4 weeks and thought she was there to stay even the stock taker didn't have a clue we were to show up. So after the old landlord spent ages trying to get in touch with HS it was confirmed they were to leave ASAP. We did worry and wonder what the hell was going on but we'd given up too much to not go ahead. we went through with the stock take seeing the other couples surpluses at 5% everything seemed right with them untill they did the safe check and it was nearly ?500 down and we also figured the ex landlord was lying through his teeth over everything they did not seem a couple i personally would have hired to run one of my businesses. once they left through old wage slips and time sheets we discovered they were actually hired as relief managers so whether they were deceived by HS/ Idiots or just hopeful to stay I know not.
Anyway the first 3 weeks were a blur we we're only given 40 staffing hours which basically meant one of us had to be on the bar all day everyday 6 days of the week. My husband never really took to the pub or the customers and he started lessening his work load bit by bit onto me he said he wanted to feel like a manager basically sitting on his arse upstairs while the staff and myself did all the work.
HS visited us several times never really gave us any grief except one night when he came in the pub and we were upstairs having tea in one of the back rooms he caught a group of young lads watching football on there phone so we were interrupted when we went down stairs the exact words were "get them out of the pub or your gone" a little over reaction maybe. Apart from that he always seamed ok with us the brewery always gave us plenty of support no issues with them. So anyways 6 months after we took the place i was exhausted i'm pretty sure that that 6 months as a manager shortened my life a few years! My dearest darlingest husband had managed to shave his working hours to just one a day that was to cover my lunch we hadn't actually spoken at one point for 3 weeks i got closer and closer with the customers and when i was pushed to the breaking point by my hubby i upped and left with a customer. he managed to keep the place for a few months after i left but HS started getting a bit fussy about there being a single man managing the pub so we put forward a proposal that my hubby and i were going to try get back together but we would like to go slow and i would like to come back as part time staff and live off premises. they took to it (i had no intention of going back to him i needed a job he needed a home and a job it worked) it worked like this for a good 12 months the customers were happy i was still seen as landlady by them it worked well until my husbands lock in customer selection got one of the customers backs up as they were rudely thrown out whilst others were allowed to stay they wrote the brewery. A man came in every dinner time and played his radio. in all fairness  it did bring in a good regular lunch time crowd but it was not allowed by the brewery therefore it should not have been allowed by the manager. This was reported in the letter also the fact the man dealt drugs and had been seen dealing to the manager himself. Well my husband got a random inspection from the brewery and obviously they could smell the narcotics in the flat but there was no solid proof. anyways stock take went fine  no proof of any misdoings from my ex so he was left with the pub.
Anyways one morning i went into work I was used to being treated differently by the manager as he was my ex i was used to him carrying on with me even on the bar infront of the customers but this particular morning he went just a little too far started getting violent so i walked out on my shif i was blackmailed by him and everything that day. Due to him being my ex i would not have taken grievance up over it but he started involving the brewery to try and get me dismissed. Anyways i called the brewery not out of tit for tat but out of the fact i didn't want to loose my job the brewery started asking me questions I am not a drug taker myself and i never really approved of my husbands habit but he refused to stop.  He couldn't run the pub well he was never seen having a drink in the pub with the customers in fact after 2 pm he was rarely seen in the pub at all. he couldn't clean a toilet for his life if he tried but i do have to admit he could keep the beer! he was hated by his customers I told they when and where they could find evidence to get rid of him he was truly running the pub into the ground! they investigated what i told them and found them to be true so in came another unannounced inspection he was suspended. The brewery were fine with me i kept my job anyways after a relief or 2 had come and gone in entered one of HS's golden boys to run the pub well he was an absolute looney i was instantly suspended for nothing the pub was closed by 4pm everyday because he felt intimidated by a group of 4, 70 year old regulars police were regularly called the relief was from the area and knew some of the regulars well some of his friends backed him up when he needed them but then they even turned they're backs on him when he went totally OTT one day. He managed to scam all sorts from the brewery even a new paint job for his car he was definitely one of HS's favorites. 
He couldn't hack the "bullying" from the group of old men so he left a group of 18-20 yr old kids to run it under his licence its still this way. I attended my disciplinary and was dismissed  CCTV evidence curiously could not be supplied nor any of the receipts for the letters he sent to to confirm my hearing I questioned his reason for dismissal only to be told i had no reason to access any of this proof he was telling a load of lies. Couple of weeks later i discovered my husband also from the local area had known this man for a while and had told him his usual tales about me. I am now barred from every ss pub for life my ex even though he was sacked to can drink in anyone he chooses even the one he ran so yea i was victimized by the looney. as for my appeal letter i have not received a reply for 2 months and its hard work getting in touch  with anyone from the brewery. My conclusion is HS is not too bad to work for just make sure you sign the contract for the job you want and not let him rush you into relieving a pub cos you wont be there long. After that just do what your told by him its not so bad and also expect there to be allot of hard work. Is it worth it well...... U can get a job as an SS manager with little or no experience at all so once you have done a couple of years with ss you can work your way to another brewery.
There u go guys a bit of bed time reading.

Offline Jimbob1

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Re: My sam smiths story
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
LOL! You two sound perfect to be running SS pubs!

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
It was very hard to read, but I'm left speechless.  :o

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
Welcome to the forum and I also found your post hard to read and am also left speechless by it. I am amazed now by the managers that Humphrey is currently employing and has been for the last few years. I know he desperate, but there is a level that must be acceptable to Humphrey and the customers of SSOB. There are also some good new managers as well over the last few years and many have got over the magical year.

Also another story of the pressure that Humphrey puts the managers under for their 11 month contracts. Humphrye plays with peoples life's and this should stop.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline shady

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
pmsl.......lets hope the pub and poor customers now get a good pair of managers in and not a circus act  ?S?

Offline hurtbyhumph

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
pmsl.......lets hope the pub and poor customers now get a good pair of managers in and not a circus act  ?S?

IT WILL ALWAYS be a circus act while the mad yorkshire king is at the helm im affraid very sad situation really

Offline Tadfan

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
It is so badly written that I lost interest half way through.

:SS

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »

Do not know if I read it right. But I think it goes like this.

Got a job with Sams because of problems with neighbours

Her Husband did not like the job or the customers.

Her Husband wanted to just laze around upstairs while she did all the work.

The manager ended up only working one day a week.

She got fed up and ran off with a customer.

Lied to Sams about getting back with her husband so she could get her job back. 

Customers watching football when Humphrey visited.

A customer playing a radio at lunch time.

A customer that was dealing in drugs.

The manager taking drugs.   

The manager blackmailing people.

The manager being violent with staff.

At that point I got more confused and stopped reading.

If anybody dose get to the end and better still can understand it, then please let me know if I've got it wrong.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »

If anybody dose get to the end and better still can understand it, then please let me know if I've got it wrong.

Well that's as good a summery as you will get Ian!

Employable?

Offline jboycott

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10 - 2013 »
Dirty, public and washing come to mind, but not in that order

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11 - 2013 »

Spot on,

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11 - 2013 »
To be fair to HS, and ploughing through to the end, he has chucked 'em both out.

Tone

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12 - 2013 »

True. Dirty springs to mind for many SS pubs lately, due to the high turnover of management
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline shady

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12 - 2013 »

absolutely spot on, apparently these 2 were a nightmare from day 1 in at pub in question ?S?

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13 - 2013 »
Bl***y Hell ! I think I've just read a Monty Python sketch entitled "The English Boozer...and How Not To Run One" !