Author Topic: A Sam's Pub Crawl in York  (Read 1726 times)  Share 

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
  • 96 Sam's Pubs Visited (and counting...)
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
A Sam's Pub Crawl in York
« on: Jul 19 - 2016 »
In a couple of weeks time a pal and I are hoping to drive up to York (meeting at Peterborough to tick off the 2 Sam's pubs there and to have a meal and soft drinks) before reaching York and staying at a Samuel Smiths Pub/ Hotel 'The Seahorse Hotel'. We are then aiming to visit on foot 8 Sam's pubs in York (minus the Brigadier Gerard as I visited it a few years ago).
Has anyone on the forum done a Sam's Crawl in York before? which pubs are the highlights? Is this a ludicrous idea?  :()

Offline nobody

• Member Karma = +6/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Re: A Sam's Pub Crawl in York
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19 - 2016 »
I've been in York a couple of times and have visited all the York City Centre Samuel Smiths pubs.     My list from best downward is, Wellington, Trafalgar, Seahorse, York Arms, Crystal Palace, Kings Arms, Burns, Brown Cow and Brigadier Gerard.  If you have time try to visit the Greyhound in Saxton, you will not be disappointed. 

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19 - 2016 »
Wellington,  the best?????

I went in a fortnight ago and had to put up with disgraceful foul language from several of the locals, and, worst of all, the lad behind the bar (who I believe was the landlord).

Don't go in the Brigadier, the lager is well iffy on a Sunday (I think he puts double four in the Taddy pump to get rid of it).

The Brown Cow is well known as a pub to avoid.

You are also missing the Tiger in Haxby (excellent beer and no swearing in the lounge), and the Six Bells (sadly too many squaddies spoil it).

Kings Arms is too busy, too many of the staff in the York Arms can't pull a decent pint.

Rant over !

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19 - 2016 »
Wellington,  the best?????

I went in a fortnight ago and had to put up with disgraceful foul language from several of the locals, and, worst of all, the lad behind the bar (who I believe was the landlord).

Don't go in the Brigadier, the lager is well iffy on a Sunday (I think he puts double four in the Taddy pump to get rid of it).

The Brown Cow is well known as a pub to avoid.

You are also missing the Tiger in Haxby (excellent beer and no swearing in the lounge), and the Six Bells (sadly too many squaddies spoil it).

Kings Arms is too busy, too many of the staff in the York Arms can't pull a decent pint.

Rant over !

Well that's York B.......st then.

Might as well stay at home or just stay in the Seahorse eh? http://samsmiths.info/forum/Smileys/animated/smiley-angelic004.gif

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20 - 2016 »
Thanks for the info guys  ;D
Unfortunately I don't think we can fit in The Tiger or The Greyhound - which sound great. I guess I should fess up and say that we are also planning to visit a couple of Smith's Houses in Tadcaster on the Saturday! - possibly staying at the Smith's Guesthouse Shann House. I have visited most of the pubs in Tadcaster apart from 3. My mate is keen to see The Angel & White Horse as he's never been to Tadcaster before.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20 - 2016 »
Been round the SS pubs in York many times in groups and individually,most of the SS pubs are ok. The only real exception is the Brown Cow. The King's Arms is very busy this time of year is very very busy,so pick your time well.

The Wellington is another interesting pub and very friendly. Have got lost in the past trying to find it.  :HJH :HJH
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21 - 2016 »
Get yourself up to the Blacksmiths at Skelton. Fantastic new couple running it Debbie and Danny. Make it really welcoming and OBB is spot on. Men are even bringing their wives in, never heard that before.  :) :)

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 1 - 2016 »
cheers guys - good info as always  :D

Offline Doc

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #8 on: Sep 7 - 2016 »
Did the York Sam Smiths crawl last October, in that we did 8 on the say so of our pathfinder then found out a couple of days after there are 9 pubs in York???? unless someone knows different.

We commenced around noon and finished about 19.30, fairly linear if you plan it out, great day.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 8 - 2016 »
Did the York Sam Smiths crawl last October, in that we did 8 on the say so of our pathfinder then found out a couple of days after there are 9 pubs in York???? unless someone knows different.

We commenced around noon and finished about 19.30, fairly linear if you plan it out, great day.

Yes there are 9 SS pubs in central York area,which ones have you ticked off ?  ?S?
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB