Author Topic: The Angel Rotherhithe - Appalling Manager - Service & Debit Card Fraud  (Read 1256 times)  Share 

Offline Edward11

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Dear Samuel Smiths Head Office,

Firstly I must mention this is the first post/complaint I have ever made which as a 46 year old male who has worked in directorships and senior management in the health and fitness industry for over 25 years may come as somewhat a surprise, however I must publish my concerns for what is the most appalling customer service I have ever experienced in my working life by the manager at The Angel public house in Rotherhithe, London.

The event happened on a sunny evening last Saturday July 23rd 2016, whereby the pub and outside area was busier than normal due to the nice weather and there may have been approximately 8 people waiting at the bar and the Irish manager who I have noticed on 2 previous occasions I have drank at the pub , hates the pub being busy, and detests customers and avoided as he always does eye contact with any persons present in the pub, and on this occasion did everything possible not to serve any customers, even to the point if trying to melt ice in the sink behind the bar. Unbelievable considering how beautiful the pub and location is.

Furthermore I had no cash on me to pay for my drinks and produced my debit card ( not credit card) whereby I was told by the bar man who was working quite hard to be fair, unlike the Irish manager, that I must pay a further 1.75% increase add-on as I had paid by debit card for my drinks. Outraged to hear this, I questioned the added sum to my bill only to be ignored and grunted at by the Irish manager. This is fraudulent activity by the manager and something I have never come across before in my life, I also drink at the Captain Kidd Samuel Smith Pub in Wapping, which has a brilliant manager and staff, totally unlike The Angel in Rotherhithe. Can you explain to me the added fee for using my debit card? And can you please replace the management? As it is preventing a lot of people depending a lot if money in your beautiful pub and I will not be returning to the pub until such a poor manager is replaced

Kind regards

Ed

Sent from my iPhone

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Firstly, as clearly stated on the introduction page, this is an independent forum with no connection to Samuel Smiths brewery. Any complaint therefore should be made to the brewery.
Secondly. as "someone who has worked in directorships and senior management" I would suggest you check your punctuation and grammar before doing so, your middle paragraph contains 107 words without a full stop.
I would not normally pull a poster up on such matters but if you wish to boast about your education then you need to "walk the walk".

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
Dear Samuel Smiths Head Office,

Firstly I must mention this is the first post/complaint I have ever made which as a 46 year old male who has worked in directorships and senior management in the health and fitness industry for over 25 years may come as somewhat a surprise, however I must publish my concerns for what is the most appalling customer service I have ever experienced in my working life by the manager at The Angel public house in Rotherhithe, London.

The event happened on a sunny evening last Saturday July 23rd 2016, whereby the pub and outside area was busier than normal due to the nice weather and there may have been approximately 8 people waiting at the bar and the Irish manager who I have noticed on 2 previous occasions I have drank at the pub , hates the pub being busy, and detests customers and avoided as he always does eye contact with any persons present in the pub, and on this occasion did everything possible not to serve any customers, even to the point if trying to melt ice in the sink behind the bar. Unbelievable considering how beautiful the pub and location is.

Furthermore I had no cash on me to pay for my drinks and produced my debit card ( not credit card) whereby I was told by the bar man who was working quite hard to be fair, unlike the Irish manager, that I must pay a further 1.75% increase add-on as I had paid by debit card for my drinks. Outraged to hear this, I questioned the added sum to my bill only to be ignored and grunted at by the Irish manager. This is fraudulent activity by the manager and something I have never come across before in my life, I also drink at the Captain Kidd Samuel Smith Pub in Wapping, which has a brilliant manager and staff, totally unlike The Angel in Rotherhithe. Can you explain to me the added fee for using my debit card? And can you please replace the management? As it is preventing a lot of people depending a lot if money in your beautiful pub and I will not be returning to the pub until such a poor manager is replaced

Kind regards

Ed

Sent from my iPhone

This will not reach the brewery. If you feel strongly enough then a hand written letter to Tadcaster is the only way you may get a response.

Offline nobody

• Member Karma = +6/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Re Debit Card Fraud.    I can't understand why you say it's fraud?   Yes most retailers do not charge for using a debit card but the bank does charge the retailer around 8p per transaction for there use.   So if your using a DC for buying one or two pints of beer it's costing Sam Smiths money.   Maybe you should rewrite your complaint without using the word "Fraud"

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +16/-1
    • View Profile
Dear Ed

Few observations:-

All the Sam's pub I have drunk in clearly have a sign advising of the charge. 
I am very upset you felt the continued need to describe the manager as Irish on numerous occasions but gave no description as to the origin of the bar staff.  As a man of such experience I am surprised on your choice of words.
One of the reasons the manager may hate busier times is they don't get paid a different rate for working harder.

Great customer service is what we would all like, I suggest you offer your services as a mystery shopper.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +6/-0
    • View Profile
Funnily enough, I visited The Angel earlier this year, ticking it off the list so to speak. I walked it from the tube, and I always have a wander looking at buildings, nip into pubs etc. As I was wandering, I asked the only person I saw ( this was just on opening time ) how close I was to The Angel. The chap was wearing what reminded me of Olympics apparel, I think it was the purple (?) that gave me that impression. Any way, he immediately replied 'You don't want to go in there, awful pub, awful man running it, not a nice place at all. You'd do a lot better to give it a miss and go to The Mayflower, a much nicer place'.  Plus  a little more, disparaging remarks. I asked if he lived in the area and he replied in the positive. I got the impression I was going to have to fight my way out of the pub. As he was speaking I saw he was an official Blue Badge London Guide.
Anyway, I obviously carried on and visited The Angel. I wanted to see why he had expressed this opinion, naturally I was curious. Well, the manager was on holiday, the main man was a young Polish fella, extremely courteous, helpful and friendly, I spent over an hour talking to him, very little in the way of clientele,  no unpleasantness whatsoever. Decent pint (s) too! Obviously I visited The Mayflower too, before travelling to The Captain Kidd. Obviously I can't express any opinion about the manager, but found the guide's remarks interesting in light of the above.
As previously mentioned, all S.S, pubs have a sign informing of the surcharge. And so does every London pub I've ever been into over the last 5/6 years - it's as common a practice as pulling pints, due to the prevalence of people paying for everything from a single pint with their credit card, something I had never seen until I started visiting London. I assume it's either because they can't get any cash out as they are permanently overdrawn / living on credit, or are simply part of a cashless generation. And you often see signs saying you have to spend a minimum of 10 / whatever if paying by credit card, in shops, pubs, smaller retailers, surcharges are even on govt. websites - car tax for instance, also car insurance, so I am at a loss as to why the complainant feels this is fraudulent.