Author Topic: The Stanton arms, Bilsthorpe, notts.  (Read 2901 times)  Share 

Offline Amoeba

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
The Stanton arms, Bilsthorpe, notts.
« on: Aug 9 - 2016 »
It all started so well.  After being closed for nearly three years the local pub opened at Easter. The beer was good, the hosts seemed pleasant and the pub was packed. Now four months later, the beer is still good, but only a handful of customers. Most have been alienated and some barred for voicing their opinions. If Humphrey reads this, look at the takings and take action.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Stanton arms, Bilsthorpe, notts.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 9 - 2016 »
It all started so well.  After being closed for nearly three years the local pub opened at Easter. The beer was good, the hosts seemed pleasant and the pub was packed. Now four months later, the beer is still good, but only a handful of customers. Most have been alienated and some barred for voicing their opinions. If Humphrey reads this, look at the takings and take action.

Yours is not the first experience of this type of thing and probably won't be the last either. Have they aired their views of either Humphrey or SSOB, this happens all the time and in many many SS pubs.

I am sure the sheets at the brewery will tell Humphrey what the pub is taking.

Hope you get it sorted soon  :WF :WF
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 9 - 2016 »

Can you explain this comment please?  What opinions do customers have that would this lead to them getting barred?

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 9 - 2016 »

Can you explain this comment please?  What opinions do customers have that would this lead to them getting barred?

We may never know ECBD, as you know get one time posters and then they go away again.  :S*
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Amoeba

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 9 - 2016 »
Basically, any opinion that differs from the landlord's, particularly if it's about the beer, quantity or quality. I have not had a problem with the beer, I love it, but the 95% standard is quite often not achieved.

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 9 - 2016 »
Basically, any opinion that differs from the landlord's, particularly if it's about the beer, quantity or quality. I have not had a problem with the beer, I love it, but the 95% standard is quite often not achieved.

Thanks for that, I did wonder if it would be the big 5% surplus again,happens all the time with new managers. The manager of a big SS pub in Manchester is blame for that,plus many other managers as well nowadays.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 9 - 2016 »
Thanks for the replies.

Without wanting to resurrect the 5% argument again I would only comment that the way the system seems to work is open to abuse by some who think they can beat the system. For example, take an extra 2 or 3 % out of each pint and you could be on free drinks between stock takes. I'm not suggesting that any one does this but it is perhaps possible. Managers have to watch staff as some can be quite generous, especially with their friends, give em a pint - charge for a half.  The brewery wants the 5% on draught products so the pressure can be on Managers especially if they are not achieving the 5%.  Having said all of that, barring folk is only a downward move unless they are trouble causers.

It's a shame after such a promising start.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17 - 2016 »
I shall nip in this week as I'm off work and see what sort of pint I get pulled. Dare I ask for a top-up if short? My understanding is that 5% is the width of a pencil.

Offline Amoeba

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18 - 2016 »
Depends who serves you. If it's the landlord, then it'll probably be short. Heard he was very abusive to a customer last week, who wanted a different pint to his usual.  He had to be told to calm his language by a lady in the pub.  Best of it the customer who dared to comment on the beer is now barred from all SS pubs in the area. Apparently it was the double four that was dodgy.  Good luck.

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18 - 2016 »
 "I did wonder if it would be the big 5% surplus again,happens all the time with new managers. The manager of a big SS pub in Manchester is blame for that,plus many other managers as well nowadays". Your spot on there OBD, a lot of it is to do with that clown at the Oyster Bar.  So much so that apparantely, according to Humph, a lot of his "better houses" are achieving 7% nowadays. Highly illegal.
Sorry for carrying that 5% s**t again, but it really is infuriating.   Some decent managers are being picked on by Himself for not achieving this. >:( >:(

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18 - 2016 »
Well, nipped over for the aforesaid pint, pub seems ok overall, only one customer and 'bar person' I shall describe him as, name of Chris, is he the manager? in our side of pub, few in pool room. Got into conversation with him and a regular, all friendly, another couple of reglars came in, all friendly and chatty, my pint ( OB ) was pulled to a very respectable standard, good pint, no need for top-up, unlike my local(s) which I often have to request, especially one of them, so no problems for me on this occasion. Went in around 10 to 7. Now fancy another as back home no driving!

Offline Amoeba

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21 - 2016 »
Glad you had a good experience at the Stanton. You're right the locals are all nice, I'm one of them. The managers are called Chris and Loo and as I said previously, they seemed very pleasant to start with.  Sadly this is not always the case. Maybe they can't take the pressure of running a pub! Hope you pay another visit, they need the custom.

Offline Holako

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 6 - 2017 »
Amoeba was on the money. A fair amount of goodwill at the start, most of it lost by now, and the brewery looking (on Gumtree) to replace Chris and Lou. (Whether they were pushed or they jumped, dunno.)  Hope this false start for the re-opened pub hasn't blighted it for whoever comes next.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 9 - 2017 »
I don't know when they went, but they did not only the metaphorical midnight flit but the actual midnight flit by all accounts.