• View Profile
Re: well the humph strikes again
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14 - 2013 »

Which was moved, the river or the pub?  :P

DB.

The River; it's quite a story.

Go on then....

Tone

In the sixteenth century the River Don split into 2 arms as it approached Thorne. One flowed north into the Aire just above Rawmarsh and wasn't a natural watercourse but a cut called Turnbridge Dike, probably made by the Romans, between the Don at Thorne and the Aire at Rawmarsh.. The other arm meandered south east and then north east at it's confluence with the River Idle  before entering the Trent at Adlingfleet just above Trent Falls (Where the Ouse and Trent become the Humber). This second branch formed part of the boundary between Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, and was also the north and western boundaries of the Isle of Axholme. To it's south west, and between it and the River Torne, which flowed into the Idle is Hatfield Chase. Much of the land between these rivers is less than 10 feet above sea level and was low lying marsh.

In 1626 King Charles I asked Cornelius Vermuyden to drain Hatfield Chase. He blocked the Torne and diverted it along a cut to the Trent at Althorpe, blocked the Idle and diverted into the Trent at Stockwith, and blocked the arm of the Don south east / north east arm of the Don at Thorne to concentrate the flow into the northern arm. These actions succeeded in draining Hatfield Chase, but caused flooding problems on the northern arm of the Don close to Rawmarsh. Vermuyden was asked to sort out the flooding problems that he had caused, and he cut the Dutch River to take the Don waters from a point 2 miles from Rawmarsh into the Ouse at Goole.

There has been much more cutting and diverting of since Vermuyden's day, but that's more or less how and why the River Don was moved.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14 - 2013 »
The move I mentioned was in the 1950s I think. The river was moved a few hundred yards or so away from the pub and local buildings due to the danger of erosion by flooding. Pictures on the pub walls show this.

I have traced a map of the area that is dated 1948, and this was before the move.

http://visionofbritain.org.uk/iipmooviewer/iipmooviewer_new.html?map=lus_stamp/eng_lus_032

I have also found an image of Waterside, Thorne, with the pub in the background, taken in 1961. The river, by then, had been moved.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2921862578/in/photostream/

The spot on google maps is at:

53.618618,-0.981259

....where the old and new course of the Don can be clearly seen.

Tone

Online OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14 - 2013 »
Well said minsterman, I agree with all you have said, Humphrey is totally unlike any individual boss, his logic and sense of fairness has nothing to do with normal principles, either in the business or personal sense. You cant second guess him because his business strategies tend to be developed as he goes along with little or no consultation with people who may advise better. To be fair he's disposed of most people who could have advised him properly and even the ones who gave him horrendous advice have long gone now. He refuses to believe his policies can be wrong and I suspect he carries on with them once he has committed to them, even when he himself knows they are not working, taking some perverse pleasure at doing it his way regardless of logic.
Don't try and judge him on normal rules of business, Ie he will never do that because he will lose too much trade by doing so. The food fiasco, the TVs and music (regardless of whether you like them or not, some pubs were hit very badly by these decisions), the cutting of staff hours and the increasing demand for the much debated 5%, the  treatment of managers in front of regular patrons, the changing of his mind on a whim......I could go on and on, . I'm trying to stop myself going into too much detail.
I genuinely believe that if he had left the pubs alone pre the TV and music end or at least hadn't tampered with the food , most Sam's pubs would have been phenomenally busy during the current financial climate. Great product, great price had to be a winner, but not without the other things that need to be offered by a modern pub in most cases. I'm a traditionalist too and support him in a lot of those kinds of principles, but have you noticed how many pubs are losing Cask OBB now, he's slowly sacrificing that for the sake of his other policies which are resulting in less customers and therefore less OBB sales and OBB needs selling to keep it well. He needs to realise that a lot of his pubs need help, not bullying the managers , old or new, or trying to force customers to like it or lump it at every turn.
HS needs help. Its a small independent brewery. Its not so small that one man can run it virtually single handed without driving himself into the ground or making continual mistakes. One man , even one with HS remarkable energy for a man of his age, cannot continue making good rational decisions when the empire is so obviously in need of a new direction...even if the direction is to go back a few years to before when the madness truly began
I'll end as I started, normal logic does not apply to HS. He will continue to lose money rather than change a policy even if it has been continually proven to be wrong. All of which is fine providing you aren't playing god with employees lives and affecting local communities by destroying Sam's pubs as the local focal point, which is what has happened in a huge amount of local Sam's pubs. (The exceptions to this rule will be hugely in the minority, particularly in the case of more isolated, non town centre pubs)
Still love Sam's beers and the pubs...really miss the old days......

I agree with both these posts, Sam Smith does do many things right, eg like quality of the products (when OBB is on form), the refurbishments of his pubs, and also looking after his land holdings. The way he treats staff is like been in the dark ages, and he is still playing with peoples lifes. Which is wrong and should be stopped. No wonder why there are so many pubs that are up for grabs at the moment.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline blue stanley

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15 - 2013 »
The more I read about Humph the mans sanity must be in question.My support is for his style of pubs not for his treatment of staff.However must return to the question of Tvs in pubs nobody on this site or anywhere has explained the point of them,who goes to a pub to watch television,the exception being Murdoch vision sport,plenty of bars cater for those people so in that case Humph is right.

Not a big fan of TVs in pubs but the fact is that every night millions of people watch Tv. A fair percentage will have a drink whilst doing so. If these people want to watch TV in a pub and help to keep struggling pubs going that's OK with me as long as the noise does not interfere with my conversation.

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18 - 2013 »
I remember the John Bull in the late 1960's. Served Whitbread if I recall correctly, no bar, just brought straight from the cellar in a jug.
It had the reputation of clearing the worst constipation but was a lovely pint!

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23 - 2013 »
The government now intend to name and shame companys that pay under the minimum wage surely Sams must be on their guard to what they pay their managers for the hours they work  :WF

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 24 - 2013 »
Doubt it, it's a "salaried" position.

Offline bacuzzi48

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 24 - 2013 »
Did I read that correctly,the government is to name and shame firms that pay below minimum wage.Are you kidding ! They love it Dave Cleggy etc a bunch of Tories care about working people was that meant to be funny.

Offline passedit

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #23 on: Aug 24 - 2013 »
bacuzzi48 if you read the papers or watch the news you,ll see its true yes it is unbelievable Cameron and Clegg approve of it !!

Offline bacuzzi48

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24 - 2013 »
To be honest passedit no I dont read papers or even listen to the news stopped doing both by request of the good lady seems it depressed me all I do apart from track down tv less pubs is go to football and cricket both lower leagues im much happier.

Online OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 28 - 2013 »
Nothin in the newspapers or news the last few years, just rubbish.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB