Author Topic: Are things still bad ?  (Read 1034 times)  Share 

Offline Mr-Klaatu

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
Are things still bad ?
« on: Aug 18 - 2016 »
My wife and I are thinking about applying for one of the many SS pubs out there looking for Management Couples.

We like the SS concept and agree with venues without music, TV etc and appreciate the traditional pub concept.

We are less enthusiastic about the numerous criticisms of HS and the way his managers are treated, however most of the problems seem to be several years old and we were wondering if things had improved and are therefore less of a concern?

I'd love to hear the views of existing managers (obviously without exposing themselves to any danger of reprisals).

Is this a company that a genuine couple (with experience) can work for and have the employment abuses of the past been irradiated?

Thanks in Advance...

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Are things still bad ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18 - 2016 »
My wife and I are thinking about applying for one of the many SS pubs out there looking for Management Couples.

We like the SS concept and agree with venues without music, TV etc and appreciate the traditional pub concept.

We are less enthusiastic about the numerous criticisms of HS and the way his managers are treated, however most of the problems seem to be several years old and we were wondering if things had improved and are therefore less of a concern?

I'd love to hear the views of existing managers (obviously without exposing themselves to any danger of reprisals).

Is this a company that a genuine couple (with experience) can work for and have the employment abuses of the past been irradiated?

Thanks in Advance...

Well, it is a difficult question to answer as those who have had a bad experience will no doubt say stay away. Those who are ok and have worked for the company for many years are likely to say very little. Some say privately that he is fine and have never had a crossed word.
This is what I believe: Humphrey Smith is without doubt not the easiest person on the planet to work for. He doesn't like couples with experience so don't mention that you have; he has some wonderful pubs and great drought products at great prices; as in all sales jobs there is pressure to increase turnover; Young Sam is in charge in London and is a chip off the old block so no respite there;  very lean with staff hours and you will have to work hard and cover for times when staff don't show up; you get a salary with somewhere on the premises to live; don't sell your house as you may need it again; watch the till and double watch your stock; don't go off on a tangent and do exactly what he says.
If you don't see much of him or them, things are going ok.  :DDDD: