Author Topic: Absence from the Place of Duty?  (Read 1860 times)  Share 

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Absence from the Place of Duty?
« on: Nov 15 - 2013 »
I must admit I have been unfaithful lately.

You see, I love my music, especially folk music live.

I have started a new folk singaround club at the Tap & Spile in York.

I was in there today, thinking how much more friendly that pub is than most SS pubs. It is dog friendly throughout.

They have a juke box, but it isn't overpowering, and plays random songs now and again. They have Sky Sports, but it isn't overwhelming. The screens are subtly placed and the sound is never too high.

They always have five good guest real ales. OK, they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Also they run a loyalty scheme which brings the price down to a reasonable ?2.79pp.

They get a lot of custom.

The management are relaxed and friendly. They are not worried about being suddenly sacked by the owners.

They do good food. I booked a really nice buffet for the folk club, for cost.

But, to cap it all, you get a full pint every time!

I won't desert SS pubs entirely, but so far, over the last three months, the T&S has had about ?300 of my pension that Humphrey could have had.

Is there a point to be made?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-New-Acoustic-Singaround/612323005475834

Tone

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +13/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Absence from the Place of Duty?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15 - 2013 »
I must admit I have been unfaithful lately.

You see, I love my music, especially folk music live.

I have started a new folk singaround club at the Tap & Spile in York.

I was in there today, thinking how much more friendly that pub is than most SS pubs. It is dog friendly throughout.

They have a juke box, but it isn't overpowering, and plays random songs now and again. They have Sky Sports, but it isn't overwhelming. The screens are subtly placed and the sound is never too high.

They always have five good guest real ales. OK, they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Also they run a loyalty scheme which brings the price down to a reasonable ?2.79pp.

They get a lot of custom.

The management are relaxed and friendly. They are not worried about being suddenly sacked by the owners.

They do good food. I booked a really nice buffet for the folk club, for cost.

But, to cap it all, you get a full pint every time!

I won't desert SS pubs entirely, but so far, over the last three months, the T&S has had about ?300 of my pension that Humphrey could have had.

Is there a point to be made?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-New-Acoustic-Singaround/612323005475834

Tone

Each to their own Tone.
But nothing you mention above would get me through the door. But good luck with your club.

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16 - 2013 »
I must agree with Tone on this one. Sam's only attractions are cheap beer and no music etc which is fine in it's place but very limiting. The younger people of today (under 40!) want something more and the Sam's regulars in my local (over 50!) are a dying breed. Even some of them are trying nearby pubs for a bit of variety.
Unless something changes, 10 years from now Sam's houses will be more like museums than pubs, if they are still open.

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17 - 2014 »
I must agree with Tone on this one. Sam's only attractions are cheap beer and no music etc which is fine in it's place but very limiting. The younger people of today (under 40!) want something more and the Sam's regulars in my local (over 50!) are a dying breed. Even some of them are trying nearby pubs for a bit of variety.
Unless something changes, 10 years from now Sam's houses will be more like museums than pubs, if they are still open.

I reckon the 'younger generation' just see" goin 't' pub" as an oldie thing, that their folks did, and want no part of that ta very much. They prefer 'bars' methinks, with summat a bit more rowdy. Ish. And lager. And noise. And jostle. And music (eh?). And mega size 3d tv @ 200 decibels. And footbal. And swearing 'comics' on them. And...........
get the picture? Not for me, I embrace 'oldness' in my pubbing!
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17 - 2014 »
My OP was back in November last year. We have moved on since.

The club now meets in The Victoria Hotel, 1 Heslington Road. The move was forced on us when the owners of the Tap & Spile (Punch Taverns) put the price of the beer up 20ppp and altered the loyalty card so that you now have to buy more pints to get a discount. No way!

The Victoria Hotel is an Old Brewery (Snaith) pub. Bitter is currently at ?2.82pp and we get free nibbles each time we meet.

I would still move the club into a Sam's pub if I could. The Sea Horse is just around the corner.

Hint, Humph.

Tone