Author Topic: Spotted Dog, 58 Church Street, Hunslet  (Read 577 times)

Offline JasonB

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Spotted Dog, 58 Church Street, Hunslet
« on: Sep 26 - 2016 »
I have seen the posts about this pub and noticed that some of the previous replied to the original thread were incorrect. The replies stated that the pub was built in 1928 as this is the date on the pub building as shown in the 1973 photograph. However, this is incorect unless the original Spotted Dog had been rebuilt in 1928.
My great great grandfather Joseph Tomlinson was the licenced vitualler at two pubs. He was at the Prince of Wales from 1 August 1889 and then moved to the Spotted Dog Inn, 58 Church Street on 4 May 1894 until his death there on 25 January 1919.
I have been trying to locate information on both the Prince of Wales and the Spotted Dog Inn for a couple of years now and the only photograph I can find is the 1973 photograph. I would like to find out more about these pubs when Joseph was there. I know that the Spotted Dog was sometimes used as a coroners court. Any help in my research will be extremely useful to me and my family.

Offline onefortheroad

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Spotted Dog, 58 Church Street, Hunslet
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29 - 2016 »
The Spotted Dog and its brewhouse were purchased by Alexander McQuat and William McQuat of McQuats Brewery 39 Meadow Lane Leeds in 1894. The Brewery was Registered as McQuats Ltd in 1924, by which time it was run by Alexander. Sams purchased the brewery along with its 10  pubs in 1947 for, I believe, 178,940.