Author Topic: Lack of OBB Served in the North East  (Read 1084 times)  Share 

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
  • 99 Sam's Pubs Visited (and counting...)
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Lack of OBB Served in the North East
« on: Oct 27 - 2016 »
A couple of weeks ago whilst on holiday in the North East I went on two jaunts with a mate to visit most of the Sams pubs in County Durham and Tyneside. I was amazed to find that nearly all of the pubs in the region don't serve OBB! I always thought it was a staple of all Sams pubs. There was also an alarming lack of draught hand pulled beers.

I wondered if there was a particular reason for this? Is OBB just not popular in the North East - or is there a historical supply issue? I guess that for North East bitter drinkers the choice is Sovereign (very hard to find in London) or something vaguely similar like Light Mild.

One of the pubs (Jarrow) for whatever reason served Samuel Smiths Best Bitter - which was a rare treat! (I have only previously seen this in one pub in Mansfield).  :o

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of OBB Served in the North East
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27 - 2016 »
I think and I could be wrong but cask gets to South or North Shields unless things have changed?

I can't help but think that the brewery is missing a trick here with the resurgence of cask ale? Inexplicably they remove cask OBB only to put install keg in some locations?????
Cask OBB when it's right is glorious and I don't drink anything but! Keg OBB is poor by comparison to the cask version. Never had the best bitter but would try it if I saw it as I'm no fan of Sovereign.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30 - 2016 »
Indeed - Cask OBB is on at the Prince of Wales, North Shields, Sams most northerly English pub.

Offline mjellis77

• Member Karma = +1/-0
  • 99 Sam's Pubs Visited (and counting...)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31 - 2016 »
Thanks for clarifying OnTheDrink - I had forgotten if they had OBB at North Shields: it was a flying visit so we could get the ferry back to South Shields in time. I had a quick pint of Dark Mild and my mate an Imperial Stout. They certainly didn't have OBB at South Shields.
« Last Edit: Oct 31 - 2016 by mjellis77 »

Offline discjockey

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31 - 2016 »
As a helpful tipple for any SS visitors to the North East OBB on cask is served at the Swan &Three Cygnets & The Coalpitts Hotel - Durham - The Marquis of Granby - Framwellgate Moor and the Prince of Wales North Shields - OBB on keg at The Three Tuns Birtley - The Adam & Eve South Shields (This is an unusual venue) The Royal Oak Jarrow doesn't have OBB

As a preference ,check out the Prince of Wales North Shields excellent pub never had a bad pint of OBB in there, always an incentive to pay a visit to wash down the excellent fish n chips from The Waterfont  :E20 :E20 :E20 :E20 :E20 :E20 :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:

Offline under250

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13 - 2016 »
Best Cask OBB is the North Shields pub as the Durham one is quite watery but then again at the Prince of Wales it can take on 3 different tastes like superr strong, perfect or nice washing up liquid on it's shelf life.
Never been to Jarrow or the South Shields one's as heard they were rough but do like the Best Bitter keg.