Author Topic: Going to Tadcaster.  (Read 1064 times)  Share 

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Going to Tadcaster.
« on: Mar 21 - 2017 »
My wife and I have decided to go away for the weekend to Tadcaster. We are staying somewhere in York and will be taking a bus out to Tadcaster on Saturday afternoon,as we have never been there before we were wondering which is the best pub for a pint of Sam Smiths and which is the best place for a meal, I am vegetarian and my wife only eats fish.

Offline ademapearl

• Member Karma = +4/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Tadcaster.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21 - 2017 »
Not sure how many pubs are still open on Saturday afternoons, but you will find Tadcaster pretty dead then apart from people going into Sainsburys for pizzas. Eating options are a bit limited, but the Italian is good. I guess veggie options will be very limited - I think you will have exhausted the options in Tadcaster after an hour and will be getting the bus back to York where you will be spoilt for choice for eating options!

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22 - 2017 »
Thanks for telling me that but I still want to see for myself, I was hoping to see the dray horses pulling the cart around the town.

Offline myke

• Member Karma = +7/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26 - 2017 »
Thanks for telling me that but I still want to see for myself, I was hoping to see the dray horses pulling the cart around the town.

Only seen the Dray out early morning but if you call in the angel and white horse you can see the shire horses as the stables are in the pubs beer garden.
If the weather is nice a stroll over the viaduct will help settle your meal. I enjoy an afternoon in Tadcaster hope you do too.
The posts i make are my own. The oppinions i express are mine too.  :BL

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +32/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27 - 2017 »
Will you be going "fishing" ?

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29 - 2017 »
I went in the Angel and White Horse with the wife and we really enjoyed it and she said it was the best lager she had ever tasted. We went out the back to see the horses and were told by one of the customers that they would be delivering on Monday morning between 8-30 and 9-30. We then had a look round Tadcaster and later had a nice meal in the Coach and Horses and decided to come back on the Monday to see the horses.On Monday we caught the early bus and saw them come out at about 8-45, we took some photos and then went to have a look at the viaduct and finally finished with a pint of Soverign in the Angel and White Horse. We both enjoyed our trip and of course spent all of Sunday looking round York which is a very nice place as is Tadcaster.  At no time did  get bored and would love to go again some time this coming Summer. Oh one other thing we had a look in the shop next to the Angel and White Horse which has the main offices of Sam Smiths on the other side of it.

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29 - 2017 »
One thing I did not see in York was a Sam Smiths pub, are their any because I think their should be seeing as the Brewery is only about eight miles from the city.

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29 - 2017 »
There are several Sams pubs in York. You probably missed them because there is no signage to indicate they are Sams pubs.

In the City centre, there is York Arms next to the Minster (opp corner to Dean Court hotel), Burns hotel on Market street, and, most famously, The Kings Arms next to the river off Low Ousegate.

Others are The Brown Cow (near the Barbican), Brigadier Gerard (near Monk Bar), Crystal Palace (at Holgate), Tarfalgar Bay (opposite Nunnery Lane car park), and the Wellington in Fulford, not forgetting the Sea Horse around the corner from the Barbican.

A little further out from the City is the Tiger (in Haxby), The Blacksmiths arms (in Skelton),the Six Bells in Strensall, and the Old Ebor in Copmanthorpe.

Enjoy !

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29 - 2017 »
Thank you tubbycoates next time we are in York we will go in one or two of them most probably the ones near the Minster.

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29 - 2017 »
Fully recommend The Blacksmiths at Skelton. Best pint of OBB I've had
 :DDDD: :DDDD: :DD

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30 - 2017 »
We fully enjoyed our weekend at York and Tadcaster and are planning to go again. Since coming back and looking at the map I have noticed a pub at Stutton called the Hare and Hound which is only a mile away from Tadcaster and would be a nice little walk this coming Summer when we plan to go again, we shall be staying in Leeds this time so will get the bus from the opposite direction. Is this a good pub to visit and have a meal and good pint in as I have read a write up by somebody back in 2010 who said the meal was good but not as good as it had been in the past.

Offline Bozzy

• Member Karma = +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31 - 2017 »
If you visit York again, try and get to the Ebor in Bishopthorpe, it is the only remaining SS tenant pub in the country and is excellent, very different to all other SS pubs as they can do things and sell products that other SS pubs cannot do.

Regarding quality of beer, The Trafalgar is a bit of a "back street" rough pub, but the manager there does look after his beer very well and serves a perfect pint of OBB, I always make a point of having a couple of beers in that place when I am having a crawl around town.

Regarding other posts, I have to agree that the Blacksmiths Arms (just down the road from me) is very good now, I have only visited once very recently, but the OBB was spot on when I did visit, locals quite pleasant too.

I am confused with the Kings Arms, which is quite a famous and well known pub in York as it always gets flooded but still tries to remain open, they even have the various electricity cables ran high up in the walls to remain open during floods. But they do not serve cask OBB? I went in and went straight back out last summer as a result.

Burns, quite good, is always busy but a decent pint, good location as in the town centre.

York Arms, again a decent pint and York centre, landlady was very good and chatty last time I went in.

Brigadier Gerard, very chavy, crap un-kept beer, rude staff, don't bust a gut trying to visit that pub.

Bozzy

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 10 - 2017 »
We are thinking of going to Leeds in the Summer and have a day in Tadcaster again, only this time we were going to walk to Stutton which is only a mile away and try the Sam Smiths pub there which I think is called the Hare and Hound. It should be a nice little walk weather permitting.