Author Topic: Fallen in love - is this going to be a disaster?  (Read 408 times)  Share 

Offline Sharpehunter

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
Hello Sam Smiths Afficionado's,

My sister and her husband have fallen in love with a Sam Smiths pub and are determined to change their lives and push ahead and try and secure the job of management couple. I'm a big fan of Sam Smiths pubs and regularly drink in The Star in Netherton and Edmunds Arms in Barnsley. As a customer I love them. But have also heard of various unsavoury goings on over the years with employment rights and such.

My sister has a very good job, her husband has some limited experience of working in pubs from years ago but I'm not sure to what extent. He has certainly never managed one. Is this a mistake? Are they going to regret this decision?

In summary they are smart, intelligent and outgoing. Love the countryside, community minded and reasonably likeable (the husband is a Man United fan and can be a bit of a knob sometimes). Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Fallen in love - is this going to be a disaster?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21 - 2017 »
They have some lovely pubs.
Advice
Don't sell the house
Don't go off on a tangent - do exactly as instructed
Work hard
Work harder
Pay isn't fantastic
Watch your stocks like a hawk
Work a even harder

True, there are plenty of horror stories, some true perhaps, some exaggerated. It's a management position, salaried, so don't go thinking about hours and pay, it will do your head in.
If you still fancy it and there are plenty out there that have been employed for years don't mention the experience.
Good luck

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: Fallen in love - is this going to be a disaster?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21 - 2017 »
They have some lovely pubs.
Advice
Don't sell the house
Don't go off on a tangent - do exactly as instructed
Work hard
Work harder
Pay isn't fantastic
Watch your stocks like a hawk
Work a even harder

True, there are plenty of horror stories, some true perhaps, some exaggerated. It's a management position, salaried, so don't go thinking about hours and pay, it will do your head in.
If you still fancy it and there are plenty out there that have been employed for years don't mention the experience.
Good luck

Totally agree with ECBD. I know several managers that have worked for SS for many years. True to say that I know lots of former managers that are still bitter about their treatment by the brewery. Again these managers were on the old contracts and so could fight their cases.

Still seems to be a lot of pubs up for grabs though.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB