Author Topic: SWEARING  (Read 3240 times)  Share 

Online Dafman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
SWEARING
« on: Apr 16 - 2017 »
We all know Humph's opinion of "The Taproom Class" as he calls us The Berkeley Hotel Scunthorpe has just posted a notice forbidding the use of swear words in both the back bar and the lounge now I do not condone the use of excessive swearing but have never been in a pub bar that banned it on pain of refusing to be served has any other Sam Smith outlet experienced this ??? :o

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: SWEARING
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16 - 2017 »
Yes, apparently he has sent a memo out stopping all swearing in his pubs from Tuesday. Those that swear will be asked to leave and banned. :WF

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16 - 2017 »
Notice appeared behind the bar in The Ridgewood, Edenthorpe last night on brewery instructions. Apparently it also applies to the staff and management which should be fun in some Sam's pubs.

Offline nobody

• Member Karma = +6/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16 - 2017 »
I like it, good for him.    We've all been in pubs with obnoxious loud mouthed men and women swearing for all to hear.  Yes some of the managers will have to stop all the  swearing also.

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16 - 2017 »
I can understand swearing when you lose your temper or are upset about something but to swear every sentence for the sake of it is just not right and can be annoying, so yes I think he has a point.

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16 - 2017 »
It's the first I've heard of it, but I welcome it whole-heartedly.

I was in a pub in York last week and the girl behind the bar, late on, said (very loudly) "I wish all the customers in here tonight would f*** off!" Not very nice, and the landlord should have sacked her on the spot, but since he is one of the worst culprits, he can't exactly do so.

The problem is, of course, will managers enforce it? Bearing in mind that several pubs have regulars who eff and blind every sentence but are spending the best part of 20 every night, I doubt it.

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16 - 2017 »
GREAT NEWS.

I have no objection to the odd swear word, but when it is loud and continual it is a disgrace, and landlords/bar staff should do something about it.

My girlfriend refuses to come with me to my local because of certain individuals who wont stop swearing loudly.

But am I the only one who thinks it wont make any difference at all?

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17 - 2017 »
Signs went up in my two locals, memo received Saturday. As to ban, don't think that is the case. Both managers said, when I enquired what was to be the result of swearing, that you will not be served again, as per Humph's instructions. You will be allowed to finish your drink? Yes.  So will you be asked to leave? No. Which shows the off the cuff nature of the memo, not thought through. So I asked, if I come in again next day do I get served? Yes, as long as you don't swear again.
So everyone was having a laugh and having extended conversations, predominantly using the word 'up' as a substitute, or more correct terminology such as fornication. Where they would not have sworn in the first place actually.
I doubt this will have any effect whatsoever unless himself is on the premises.
Though I do agree the language is a bit too much on occasion, and certainly inappropriate at times. It can be ok to swear as long as it gets reined in when ladies, kids or vicars present.
No doubt there has been an incident or Humph has witnessed something which has set him off.
Which may come out on this forum.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +32/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18 - 2017 »
A good idea if it can be enforced,the locals I go in we all curb the swear words if ladies or diners come in.We did have an interesting conversation about shitzu dogs,wankel engines,Fokker aeroplanes,and pushed our luck by ordering bloody marys!,wonder what father ted would say!.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile

Offline durhamlad

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21 - 2017 »
While I agree with this in principle, I do drink sometimes in 'The Cock' up by Oxford Street. Will it be ok for me to say to my mate on the phone we are in the Cock? Or come over the Cock we're loving it?

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 21 - 2017 »
While I agree with this in principle, I do drink sometimes in 'The Cock' up by Oxford Street. Will it be ok for me to say to my mate on the phone we are in the Cock? Or come over the Cock we're loving it?

I don't think the word "cock" is a swear word unless i'm mistaken.

The thing about this is this, if you have to swear, keep it down. It's common sense and this isn't like it's anything new! It's called "RESPECT" for others. The only thing new about it is that there has been a notice published and put up. If some of the bar staff did there job right there would be no need for this. No body gets away with swearing in ours when the manager or manageress is on. Nor do they serve drunks.

Offline durhamlad

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21 - 2017 »

I don't think the word "cock" is a swear word unless i'm mistaken.

It depends on the context it's used like many other offensive words. You're right it is common sense just seems a bit much to make such a big thing of it by putting up signs etc. I've drank in many a Sam Smith and haven't heard anyone effing and jeffing all over the place....weatherspoons on the other hand....

Offline dagenhamlad

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 21 - 2017 »

It depends on the context it's used like many other offensive words. You're right it is common sense just seems a bit much to make such a big thing of it by putting up signs etc. I've drank in many a Sam Smith and haven't heard anyone effing and jeffing all over the place....weatherspoons on the other hand....

Agree, I don't understand why they are making such a thing of it.

People swear in all walks of life in all different social situations, including most workplaces in my experience. If somebody is shouting c words then that's one thing - but policy or not, I would expect these people to be warned.
If instead they are inserting an f into a private conversation at an appropriate volume then I can't see an issue with this. If people are overhead swearing by a passing staff member, are those customers to be made unwelcome? Maybe the brewery could install telescreens to ensure nothing is missed...

Offline mac33

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27 - 2017 »
this is going to be fun the landlady in my local is the worst offender?