Author Topic: SWEARING  (Read 4368 times)  Share 

Offline Tadcaster resident

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: SWEARING
« Reply #15 on: Apr 27 - 2017 »
From todays Yorkshire Post

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/you-could-now-be-told-to-leave-more-than-30-south-yorkshire-pubs-for-swearing-1-8514147

Working in our local but heard Brigadier Gerard in York still bad

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Apr 28 - 2017 »
I am told that managers had to sign and return a form to the brewery saying they have read and understood the memo and will enforce company policy.I wonder how long before a manager is disciplined/dismissed for not enforcing company policy?.

Offline nobody

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29 - 2017 »
The signing to state that there have received the memo is standard to Samuel Smiths and most companies.  Been told HS is doing the rounds to make sure the manages are applying the ban.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 30 - 2017 »
Well, I asked one of the bar persons, after being 'warned', as I was explaining / discussing a couple of swear words, what EXACTLY constitutes a swear word, and went on to give some examples, some he said were, others not. So it is a matter of his interpretation? I am tempted to supply Humphrey with a comprehensive list and ask for his opinion of acceptable / unacceptable 'swear' words. Or, as he reads these posts allegedly, he can send a list out on a memo!
Plus he can clarify wether or not I can use my Glyceryl Trinitrate spray, as the memo clearly states ANY inhaler ( another example of people not thinking things through ).  So if I or others suffer a severe Angina attack, as we cannot use inhaler, we can possibly sue him for putting our health / lives at risk, and could certainly have him nicked under both Equality and Disability legislation.
Just playing Devil's Advocate!

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 1 - 2017 »
Checked a pub yesterday (not my local). No sign of the latest memo but the no swearing policy clearly on display.  Presume those who feel the need to use an inhaler will have to go outside like smokers?
Can we have a rule about customers blocking the bar?  I'm only 5ft2" and struggle to work my way through....

Offline dagenhamlad

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 4 - 2017 »
Went into a London branch of Smiths today (for a change) and heard the barmaid swear at least 3 times. This included use of the 'f' word.

I was so disgusted that I finished my pint at my leisure and left quietly.

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 5 - 2017 »
It's just as bad in the Brigadier Gerard in York.

The 18 year old daughter of the landlord can be heard swearing on several occasions, that is when you can interrupt her long enough to stop playing on her phone to get served.

One fella was stood at the bar,  constantly using the F word very loudly, and no-one said anything to him.

Offline boringoldcodger

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 5 - 2017 »
This had a fairly short mention on Radio 4's You and Yours earlier today.  As expected Sam's themselves said nothing but there was a quick interview with a landlady. I don't know whether the programme is available via iplayer (podcast ?).

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 5 - 2017 »
The interview is available on the pod cast.  Just hope the manager doesn't get sacked for not following the rules on the memo!  Must be a mine field agreeing with one policy but at the same time breaking another one.  All great free advertising for Sams.

Offline Humpadick

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 9 - 2017 »
 :D2,should try moorhouse in leeds :BL,,geez,,worse than jack n vera duckworth,,swearing n rowing all time,,when sober :BL :BL :BL

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11 - 2017 »
I have been in several SS pubs since the ban, and the language seems to have got worse since the notices have been displayed in the pubs. Some managers haven't even bothered to put the signs up,or ignoring it,even worse for the managers.

I have heard this week that the managers at the Brown Bear in Sheffield have been fired,anybody else heard the rumour too? Also said the pub was shut.

Colpits was also mentioned in a article in the Sun recently.

The Moorhouse,Duncan & Elliott in Leeds are sometimes bad for language.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline tubbycoates

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12 - 2017 »
Glad to report that the ban is being (largely) enforced in the Brigadier Gerard.

Unfortunately, the night I went in it was almost empty !

I overheard the manager telling one customer that the pubs who are enforcing it have suffered with a dramatic loss of takings.

Hopefully, once the word gets around that it is being enforced may entice some old customers back.

Offline Melanie Starkey

• Member Karma = +17/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12 - 2017 »
I'm not surprised the Brigadier was empty if management are strictly enforcing the rules as this pub did seem to have more of a problem than most. I don't want to ban anyone but a bit of self control is a bonus. 

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14 - 2017 »
Hopefully, when word of mouth gets around, more people will start coming in again.

However, all it takes is one or two who continue to get away with swearing to spoil it again.

Offline nobody

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #29 on: May 14 - 2017 »
I took my wife into a Samuel Smith's pub at the weekend and it was pleasant to sit there without the usual swearing going on.  The manager of the pub is old school and will not allow any nonsense. He told me that he will warn then first but if they continue they will be asked to leave.