Author Topic: Ban on motorcyclists Royal Oak Ulley  (Read 3101 times)  Share 

Offline OBBboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Humphrey has decided that anyone who arrives on a motor bike, or is dressed in leathers will not be served at the Royal Oak Ulley. The new managers have to turn away such people many of whom have frequented the pub for years. I'm worried that by driving away long standing customers many of my favourite pubs will be in jeopardy.

Offline Bar Prop

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ban on motorcyclists Royal Oak Ulley
« Reply #1 on: Jul 3 - 2017 »
Madness, absolute madness.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 4 - 2017 »
It's apparently a popular meeting point for bikers, most of whom will be perfectly respectable and just enjoying a weekend ride out. The man is batshit crazy. There's already a protest Facebook group... https://www.facebook.com/Bikers-being-discriminated-against-by-Samuel-Smiths-Brewery-258442317971804

Offline Bar Prop

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 4 - 2017 »
With the cost of the bikes, training, equipment and insurance plus the fact motorcycling is (sorry to say this) not a youngster's hobby, the ban ostracises a well mannered, relatively affluent and responsible group of people.

Offline joeh917

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 5 - 2017 »
I have to say that it is highly dangerous to be riding a motor bike after a few pints of Sovereigne[I can never spell that word]so perhaps Humph is thinking about safety.   

Offline jboycott

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 5 - 2017 »
I have to say that it is highly dangerous to be riding a motor bike after a few pints of Sovereigne[I can never spell that word]so perhaps Humph is thinking about safety.

Well that would apply to all vehicles, no?

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 5 - 2017 »
No one should drink and drive to state the obvious! However, there are those in society that think this or any other law doesn't apply to them. These people exist in most fraternities and can been seen on a daily basis. So I don't think H will be thinking anymore than he should be about road safety.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 5 - 2017 »
Er, considering H has been banned for drink driving ( due to having a half in the pubs he visits to check the beer ), on more than one occasion, indeed I believe he is currently banned, I doubt that worrying about bikers and safety is uppermost in his mind, if at all.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 5 - 2017 »
Er, considering H has been banned for drink driving ( due to having a half in the pubs he visits to check the beer ), on more than one occasion, indeed I believe he is currently banned, I doubt that worrying about bikers and safety is uppermost in his mind, if at all.

Indeed so.

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 6 - 2017 »
My guess would be that a local has complained about the noise, some bikers tend to overdo the acceleration when setting off. If they have written to the brewery then this sounds like the action Humphrey would take.

Offline bunnysue

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 7 - 2017 »
This is most definitely not the case. My husband and myself both live in Ulley and also ride bikes. Humphrey turned up at the pub one evening to see three bikes parked up and decided to ban them because he wants 'people in his pubs not bikers' - his words. We don't get a huge amount of bikes up here but the few that we do get are often passing through on bike nights, which also include a group of very elderly gentlemen on classic bikes who were also turned away. And in addition to that, so were two off duty coppers this week. It also means that neither me nor my hubby can take our bikes round to the pub on our way back from work.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 8 - 2017 »
Being something of an occasional pedant and an arkward t**t who likes to puncture balloons, if I dig my old leathers out, put 'em and walk round to my local, or for that matter drive in my leathers to a Sam's pub, carrying a helmet, does that mean I would not get served? Does wearing the apparel make me a biker? Or I could be a complete tit and ride ( as I see so many people who will end up a skid mark on the road ), in shorts, trainers, t-shirt. I could park up round the corner, secure my helmet and gloves, walk to the pub and get served. Which shows what a nonsense this ban is. As others have said, the majority of bikers are not young hooligans, they have disposable income an plenty of it, which is why they can spend up to 10's of thousands on a 'toy' / hobby. There ARE hooligans, as in everything, but a very small minority, who tend to be self -regulating because when you ride like a t**t you tend to get t****ed.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 8 - 2017 »
Oops, forgot. Humph is definitely banned, he has a chauffer at the moment. I have also found out the job was advertised on Gumtree. Presumably he uses Gumtree so much 'cos it's free. The pay? Minimum wage. And hoofed off when he gets his licence back.
Apparently, earlier this week he was in two Middlesborough pubs where he sacked / summarily ejected     ( or were told to leave immediately would be more accurate ), the two couples in question. Any info from someone up that way?

Offline bunnysue

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 8 - 2017 »
We have literally just ridden past the pub on the bikes on our way back from a ride out. Normally we would nip in for one before putting the bikes away , but instead we have had to come home and put them away and now hubby has walked around the corner for a pint. You couldn't make this crap up if you tried.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 8 - 2017 »
Ah well, look on the positive - you can have a couple now instead of just the one! I'd get changed, and go in wearing me biking jacket as 'just' a jacket and see what happened.