Author Topic: pubs closed  (Read 2492 times)  Share 

Offline paulhepworth

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
pubs closed
« on: Sep 1 - 2017 »
I understand that over 40 pubs have been closed recently. Humphreys son and brother are trying to get shut of him but he is going round and trying to do as much damage to the business as he can by shutting pubs

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: pubs closed
« Reply #1 on: Sep 4 - 2017 »
I'm playing devils advocate on this one..

No one likes to see a pub closed - as often they were an important hub of the community. However, it seems to be a general sign of the times, and probably down to a 'perfect storm' - due to things such as the smoking ban, and allowing supermarkets to sell alcohol, in some cases 24/7, providing the option for cheap, home drinking.

If this ongoing pub decline was ever going to be defeated, it would be due to other dramatic changes - such as restricting supermarket alcohol sales, and in the case of Sams, allowing vaping inside (as do some other pubs) even if restricted to a particular area or 'vaping room', reminiscent of the old smoking rooms. Some good food venues survive, but are usually up against constant competition from other food venues.

Ultimately, this problem exist amongst all breweries - and usually the closing of non-profitable pubs, is more down to damage limitation, to the business as a whole.

The only thing I would say about Sams' pubs, especially those struggling to stay afloat - is that the brewery could adopt some creative flexibility to suit those venues - who are probably trying to compete with neighbouring venues offering things such as, indoor vaping, music (live or background), other entertainment, etc., etc.

Without some flexibility and business acumen (forward thinking) the Sams' business risk becoming, not only another victim of these changing times - but one of the bigger victims, as its competitors use their flexibility and business common sense, to weather the storm, and ultimately, offer customers more of what they want, other than just cheap beer, and a quiet place to chat!!!
These are sad times :(

Offline under250

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11 - 2017 »
Will the closed pubs open again ? plus the only competitors to SS pubs are Weatherspoons as most majority of pubs these days are so expensive.

Offline djgary

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27 - 2017 »
The Jolly Miller in Harpurhey Manchester seems to be another casualty of Sam Smiths pubs being closed, Even though it looks like the managers are still living above the pub (All rather strange)

Poster in the windows asking for live in couples.

The OB was on song when we visited recently - Its shame its closed as it was becoming our regular.

Any truth in Humphrey retiring or is that just HOT AIR?
« Last Edit: Oct 20 - 2017 by djgary »

Offline under250

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27 - 2017 »
The Jolly Miller in Harpurhey Manchester seems to be another casualty of Sam Smiths pubs being closed, Even though it looks like the managers are still living above the pub (All rather strange)

The OB was on song when we visited recently - Its shame its closed as it was becoming out regular.

I have heard that too so lets hope it's true.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27 - 2017 »

The OB was on song when we visited recently - Its shame its closed as it was becoming out regular.

Heard similar but not seen much evidence yet.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 5 - 2017 »
I'm playing devils advocate on this one..

No one likes to see a pub closed - as often they were an important hub of the community. However, it seems to be a general sign of the times, and probably down to a 'perfect storm' - due to things such as the smoking ban, and allowing supermarkets to sell alcohol, in some cases 24/7, providing the option for cheap, home drinking.

If this ongoing pub decline was ever going to be defeated, it would be due to other dramatic changes - such as restricting supermarket alcohol sales, and in the case of Sams, allowing vaping inside (as do some other pubs) even if restricted to a particular area or 'vaping room', reminiscent of the old smoking rooms. Some good food venues survive, but are usually up against constant competition from other food venues.

IMHO the smoking ban is not as big a factor as made out. I am all in favour of it too. As for indoor vaping- no way mate, thats as bad as I don't want to taste what everyone vaping is exhaling- vimto or strawberry or whatever.When someone in car several vehicles in front of me is doing it, you can see large clouds of fog come out of the windows if open, and even if not it can be smelt. So in pubs I like to taste my beer and food un tainted please. And while i'm at it, lets get the outdoor smoker out of the porches and stop them hanging round the doors as the stink gets in- and it doesn't look good either. I am a non smoker as you may guess. I didn't care for smoke im pubs when you could do it, and if it got so bad I would leave. Now I don't have to do that any more, thankfully. So lets not go back.

As for closures, there is nowt so sad as a closed boozer, and I worry where it will end. For my money its a social thing, and pubs are perceived as belonging to a generation who see them as oldie and not relevent to them- they are the ones who could keep them viable but the just don't want them. That won't change.
Gone are the days when a days toil was relieved by 'stopping off' on the way home; things have changed so much work wise in the UK now, and other diversions have taken the ascendency too. Staying in being the new going out, as they say (with your cheap supermarket bargain mass produced cack).

Even if it was a w=====rs pub and only sold p==s beer, I don't like to see them shut!
Our world is closing down, we may not be able to stop it- but we don't have to like it!!

SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.   Imperial-->:DKB <-- Stout!

Offline under250

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 6 - 2017 »
I don't think certain pubs are dying be it local community, leaseholds, ones out in the country and even Social Clubs but definitely is a rise of 2 types of drinking establishments and that being Weatherspoons and the Micro Pubs.
Maybe young Sam could tap into the latter model.

Offline Bozzy

• Member Karma = +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Curious Visitor
« Reply #8 on: Oct 8 - 2017 »
An interesting view, but I believe a third type, a pub that does great beer and great food.

What has become my new local has a large restaurant area with a cracking chief, they are fully booked near every day and regular have to turn down custom that hope to walk in and get a table without prior booking. Food isn't cheap but is worth it as it really is top end restaurant quality food. Beer is top notch and below price what you would expect, never a bad pint.

On another view, I went to a "Brewdog" establishment a couple of months ago. I fail to understand how it works, totally horrible beer at stupid high prices, I think they confuse the word "Craft" with "Crap".

Obviously, I am a fan of Sam's to be here, but if they produced a fuller beer, did some decent food, then all sorted for them, but will not happen if Humphrey is involved!

The SS empire is so big, that it takes a long time for a stupid decision to have a long lasting company effect.

Offline under250

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 9 - 2017 »
You got to hand it to Brewdog as they have been very successful fooling the public with they expensive 2 thirds of as pint high alcohol range of beer that all taste like grapefruit in cold interior bars with everyone looking the same with comb overs, tattoos and beards ( that's not just the ladies).

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14 - 2017 »
An interesting view, but I believe a third type, a pub that does great beer and great food.

What has become my new local has a large restaurant area with a cracking chief, they are fully booked near every day and regular have to turn down custom that hope to walk in and get a table without prior booking. Food isn't cheap but is worth it as it really is top end restaurant quality food. Beer is top notch and below price what you would expect, never a bad pint.

On another view, I went to a "Brewdog" establishment a couple of months ago. I fail to understand how it works, totally horrible beer at stupid high prices, I think they confuse the word "Craft" with "Crap".

Obviously, I am a fan of Sam's to be here, but if they produced a fuller beer, did some decent food, then all sorted for them, but will not happen if Humphrey is involved!

The SS empire is so big, that it takes a long time for a stupid decision to have a long lasting company effect.

At the Old Brewery that's about 25 years. Then?

Offline Doc

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14 - 2017 »
Just been informed a favourite of mine The Petre Arms at Langho as been shut for a while looking for 1500 bond. No one seems to have a clue whats gone on with management couple, anyone heard anything.

Offline djgary

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20 - 2017 »
Been past the Jolly Miller in Harpurhey today and it looks like the old management couple who were living there have now moved leaving the pub totally empty (Just hope it doesn't attract squatters)

No sign of anyone taking up the advertisement in the window... Its another case of will it EVER reopen?

Offline djgary

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27 - 2017 »
Been past the Jolly Miller in Harpurhey again and it looks like there's several broken windows boarded up... Doesn't look like that's reopening anytime soon then
« Last Edit: Oct 27 - 2017 by djgary »

Offline djgary

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 3 - 2017 »
If anyone from the brewery reads this you might want to get to the Jolly Miller in Harpurhey before someone breaks all the windows and or sets fire to it...

Its become an attraction for vandals sadly...