• View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Tiger Inn - Location: Haxby
« on: Mar 7 - 2008 »
Name: The Tiger Inn - Location: Haxby

Address: 29 The Village, Haxby, York, North Yorkshire, YO32 3HS [01904 768355]
« Last Edit: Mar 7 - 2008 by Admin »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Tiger Inn - Location: Haxby
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7 - 2010 »
Interesting pub with a couple of small rooms at the front and a larger function type room at the back. I am assuming that the person that served me was a member of staff, and she was friendly enough. The OBB was ok. A very large carpark at the back.

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline samsdrinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 7 - 2010 »
Execelent pub and my local, current management ( Kev and denese) fantastic hosts plus all staff warm and friendly

Offline poprobson

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19 - 2011 »
Great pub, superb beer, spoiled by one of the afternoon staff not serving a full measure, and then moaning when asked to top it up. This has happened to me on at least 4 occasions when I've gone in. I'm giving it a miss until I can find out when the member of staff isn't working. A great shame, because it's one of the best Sams pubs in York.

Post Merge: Feb 19 - 2011
Great pub, superb beer, spoiled by one of the afternoon staff not serving a full measure, and then moaning when asked to top it up. This has happened to me on at least 4 occasions when I've gone in. I'm giving it a miss until I can find out when the member of staff isn't working. A great shame, because it's one of the best Sams pubs in York.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19 - 2011 »

Poprobson, can we take it your talking about barstaff and not the managers?

Sam Smith's have a notice in every pub  stating there topup policy. Nobody should be penalised for asking for a topup and never to a extent of not wanting to go in. Why not have a quite word with the manger about the barstaffs attitude to your request for a topup.
ian.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20 - 2011 »
I have been to a few Sams recently and asked for a top up and got a blank look, not sure whether this is bad training or just the bar staff having a bad day. Eventually my pint has been topped up.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20 - 2011 »

Sam Smith's have a notice in every pub  stating there topup policy. Nobody should be penalised for asking for a topup and never to a extent of not wanting to go in. Why not have a quite word with the manger about the barstaffs attitude to your request for a topup.
ian.

Never been such a sign in my local, where the 5% surplus on draught is taken very seriously!

Offline poprobson

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22 - 2011 »
Yes, one of the barstaff, not the manager. I'd give the man's name but I don't want to prejudice against him, since he seems popular with the locals (even though he serves them short measures as well!)

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22 - 2011 »
Yes, one of the barstaff, not the manager. I'd give the man's name but I don't want to prejudice against him, since he seems popular with the locals (even though he serves them short measures as well!)

Short measures in Samuel Smith's pubs is a contentious issue, based on my perception of postings on this forum.  Personally, I always ask for a top-up, denying Humphrey Smith his 5%.  I've paid my money and I want my pint.

I think that there is not so much issue when you are paying ?1.57 per pint of Old Brewery Bitter than when you are in pubs which charge ?2.50 or more per pint.

Also, you never see a short-measure of wine in any pubs in the UK!

DB.

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22 - 2011 »
Must admit I'm not that bothered about having a good head on my pint especially when I'm paying almost half of the cost of a pint everywhere else in the area, but I'll make a lighthearted comment if it's like a vicar's collar which usually leads to a good natured 'get lost' in return, and a top-up!

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22 - 2011 »

Short measures in Samuel Smith's pubs is a contentious issue, based on my perception of postings on this forum.  Personally, I always ask for a top-up, denying Humphrey Smith his 5%.  I've paid my money and I want my pint.

I think that there is not so much issue when you are paying ?1.57 per pint of Old Brewery Bitter than when you are in pubs which charge ?2.50 or more per pint.

Also, you never see a short-measure of wine in any pubs in the UK!

DB.
I totally agree DB

Offline geezer

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23 - 2011 »
It dosen't matter if your paying Sams prices or flash pub prices you still deserve to get a leagal measure and a decent pint without having to get confrontational with bar staff. And I will be having a look for the top up sign, besides I wouldn't mind paying an extra 10p for a bit of background music.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23 - 2011 »
And I will be having a look for the top up sign,

The signs I've seen in a lot of sam pubs are identical and say something like.

YOUR PINT WILL BE SERVED WITH A TRADITIONAL CREAMY HEAD.

IF YOU WANT A TOP UP, PLEASE ASK.

This notice is on a white A4 sheet of paper usually pinned up behind the bar. Sometime behind the optics so not easy to see.

ian.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 7 - 2011 »
Some more photos of the Tiger, Haxby

These photos will remain for members only.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19 - 2012 »
I took the wife in today for Sunday Dinner, no not a packet of crisps  :() , I mean a proper Sunday dinner and I can call it proper because that is what it was.  It was far better and cheaper then the meal we had last Saturday night in Cheltenham from a well known pub eating chain.  Well done the Tiger I'm half back into my wife's good books after our visit to Corby.