Author Topic: The Tiger Inn - Location: Haxby  (Read 34203 times)  Share 

Offline jboycott

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Tiger Inn - Location: Haxby
« Reply #75 on: Jul 11 - 2014 »
Please, not again especially you DB!   ;D Though I do agree regarding the price.
Petrol doesn't have a head on it, and it's not relevant to beer. And there will be a discrepancy even with petrol, electricity, gas, water or whatever is measured.  Dispensed beers only has to be 95% liquid, end of, that's the industry guide line. There is no legal obligation to give anyone more.  :U

Amen to that!

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #76 on: Oct 30 - 2014 »
The refurb of the lounge has been postponed to next week, the back room is almost finished,and should be open by the weekend.

:GIVEB:

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Nov 1 - 2014 »
Please, not again especially you DB!   ;D Though I do agree regarding the price.
Petrol doesn't have a head on it, and it's not relevant to beer. And there will be a discrepancy even with petrol, electricity, gas, water or whatever is measured.  Dispensed beers only has to be 95% liquid, end of, that's the industry guide line. There is no legal obligation to give anyone more.  :U

Ref:

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2007-08/988

Tone

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #78 on: Nov 1 - 2014 »
I am adamant that when I buy a pint of beer, I get a pint of beer.  Ladies certainly get their 175ml of wine, there is a line on the glass to prove it and Grandpa gets his 25ml/35ml measure of whisky from the Optic. 

This is not something that needs additional legislation - it is a basic Trading Standards and Weights and Measures issue.  It just needs to be enforced.  However, if it is not being enforced, then perhaps legislation should be brought about and enforced with fines on the landlords, pubs, Breweries or pubcos as necessary. 

I would like to know who came up with 568ml actually only being 511.2ml.  Surely, no, surely not the pubcos?  Surely they don't want to maximise their own profit margins, surely not, please tell me they didn't?  These companies are totally honest and not into ripping off the beer drinker.  They have NEVER EVER attempted to fleece their customers. NO, NEVER!

DB.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Nov 1 - 2014 »
Interesting to see how far this gets with the parliamentarians!
I too would like a full pint and as we all know that every 19 pints the 20th would be effectively free compared to today.
It pee's me off is when on the rare occasion I have to drink non OBB,  5% of 3.40 is 17p worth, making SS a good deal at 9p per 5%.
I remember the old days and the glass to line, and some folk crouching down to get the line at eye level to see if they got a bit more or less. I would like to return to the line glasses and a full pint then it's black & white as such. Would that mean a "pint" of OBB would be 1.89????

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Nov 1 - 2014 »
If we ever returned to lined glasses which by necessity will contain more than a oint, who do you think will be paying for the new glasses and extra beer dispensed.The alternative is a completely flat pint and that's not easy to pour, and for many, very unappealing.

Most if the Sams pubs I've been in serve a reasonable compromise and are certainly no worse than pubs belonging to anyone else. I can think of plenty of pubs where 10% or more is the norm.

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Nov 2 - 2014 »
If we ever returned to lined glasses which by necessity will contain more than a oint, who do you think will be paying for the new glasses and extra beer dispensed.The alternative is a completely flat pint and that's not easy to pour, and for many, very unappealing.

Most if the Sams pubs I've been in serve a reasonable compromise and are certainly no worse than pubs belonging to anyone else. I can think of plenty of pubs where 10% or more is the norm.

I don't mind the 5% head and agree with your comments. I would not want a flat no head pint!  It's not just SSOB that do this, they all do it.
When the new hierarchy takes full control I don't know if the beer prices as we know them will continue? If so, then we will really have something to moan at.   ::)

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Nov 2 - 2014 »

My oversize lined jug is kept behind the bar for me. I brought it in, and asked if I could use it. I like having a handle. I'm less likely to fall off! I ALWAYS get a full pint and I'm unlikely to spill it carrying it to my seat.

Tone

Offline DarkieBoy

• Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #83 on: Nov 3 - 2014 »

My oversize lined jug is kept behind the bar for me. I brought it in, and asked if I could use it. I like having a handle. I'm less likely to fall off! I ALWAYS get a full pint and I'm unlikely to spill it carrying it to my seat.

Tone

In my previous career as a pint-pulling cellarman, I can add that what the Brewery saves in non-lined glasses, is lost into the drip dray.  Oversized glasses negate this loss.  Oversized glasses are a win-win for customer and brewery/pub.  And, as mentioned by Tone above, there are less spillages carrying your pint back to your seat, keeping the pub carpet cleaner (however, this may result in less work for the cleaner, which can be taken as both positive and negative depending on perspective).

DB.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Nov 7 - 2014 »
Picture from 1981 when a syndicate won nearly 900k on the pools,wonder what they did and if they are still about?.

Offline samsdrinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Nov 8 - 2014 »
yes pic behind the bar, can anyone name them

Offline samsdrinker

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Nov 8 - 2014 »
ok pic WAS behing the bar in back room . not sure its still there as im normally in lounge

Offline Bertie B

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Nov 15 - 2014 »
Sadly a couple of those in the picture have passed away namely Tony Broadhead who was the landlord for many years and Keith Stubbs who is the lad stood this side of the bar, but 2 or 3 of the others can still be seen from time to time, mainly in the back bar.