Author Topic: staffing levels/hours  (Read 8972 times)  Share 

Offline icefire66

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
staffing levels/hours
« on: Nov 9 - 2008 »
last night i went to a previously busy sam smiths pub, not very busy at all on a saturday night. mind you, the landlord was on the bar, his wife in the kitchen & a young lad helping in the kitchen. is this what things have come to? there is no way it could get busy anymore, as it woould just be impossible for them to cope. the problem is that once you do a few weeks of "silly hours", your stuck with them. if you don't challenge the hours you are given. you are stuck with them. also make sure that you get any hours arrangements in writting. it'll help you when things go pear shaped.

Offline dogsboddy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: staffing levels/hours
« Reply #1 on: Aug 5 - 2010 »
i see we have got to put our (managers) hours on the timesheet from now on        the wages should go up if he is going to pay us by the hour

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #2 on: Aug 5 - 2010 »
  Probably hasn't got a clue who is where, if anywhere or whether we are here or not eh! :)
« Last Edit: Aug 7 - 2010 by sovsuppa »

Offline devastatedrelative

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 5 - 2010 »
Obviously Humph is wanting the information for something.  It won't be to pay more, but as ammunition against managers. 

Offline blueboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 5 - 2010 »
The bastardo is obviously scheming yet again to cut staff hours.
I remember Mick Thompson saying to me before he left the company "With the money that you are taking your staff hours will be safe". Not bloody likely Mick, within 3 months we lost another 6.
Heed you all! the end is nigh. :'(

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 6 - 2010 »
ok so i can justify 10 hours a day plus.........thats atleast 70 a week legally should do 48, hows it going to look if/when all managers do same....not good i think the union guru should take note of this development....if there still up for it

Offline spiderman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 7 - 2010 »
he is trying to work out any hours all his managersw are working...easy allmanagers should just put 24 hours a day as we are all security guards when locked up...when not on the bar we are still on call ...if a fight or any problem that makes u have to break your time off ..then you are on call and working ..we all need to stick by this ....where are our liason managers now they need to contact us  and pull out of the 48 hours now as we need to fight this man before its too late ...i and other managers are not putting the information on the form so they have to contact you then you can say your say and get on call...and security hours to them and they wont know what to say to you...

Offline spiderman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 7 - 2010 »
you are all in the pub now so if the allarm goes off are you working ...yes as you have to sort it out...if he says different then get his mobile and ask him to come to the pub and see whos downstairs.....come on you liason managers if you still exist

Offline spiderman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 7 - 2010 »
if he cuts staff hours just open later thats what ive done....dont forget u can go on sick for 13 weeks at a tim and he can do nowt...if its a joint management another 13 weeks ...half a year it really pis....ses him off i know stand up to the bully ...thats all he is

Offline shemon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #9 on: Aug 8 - 2010 »
I've put down 24 hours and am glad others feel the same as me.

Offline shemon

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
« Reply #10 on: Aug 8 - 2010 »
He told me he expects his managers to work 45 hours a week. Me and my hubby do a lot more than that and get no thanks whatsoever.

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 9 - 2010 »
He told me he expects his managers to work 45 hours a week. Me and my hubby do a lot more than that and get no thanks whatsoever.

Apparently he has been heard to say, that he does not believe that any pub manager works more than 45 hours per week.  Given the fact that he has never run a pub in his life, how would he know this?
I get the distinct feeling that someone is feeding him some silly information that he is believing.  It was thought that it was FOB (it probably was originally). But FOB is retired...isn't he???
The latest thing with him is the staff hours sheet.  Managers now have to put there names on.  In some ways there is nothing wrong with this, many relief managers have done this before,but no hours need be put in.   But this is Humph we are talking about.  He always does things for a reason.  What it is yet we don't know, but I've a feeling we will find out.  What I'd like to know is, who is feeding him these thoughts. His cronie the brown tongued Horton is favourite I would think, but I don't think they are Humphs thoughts.

Offline neveragain

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10 - 2010 »
Its good that managers record the hours that they are on duty in any one week. If the wages council ever visit the brewery to check the records they will find that the hours you are on duty set against the salary you are paid will bring you below the minimum wage. Get on with with it record your hours on duty.

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10 - 2010 »
I don't really see how you can record a managers working hours correctly.
As anyone who works in the trade knows, it is a way of life rather than a job.
This is where Humph doesn't understand the trade.  I believe that he thinks all we do is pull pints, change a barrel and fill wages and account sheets in, full stop. The fact that we live on the premises and are responsible for it's care and security, the care and safety of the staff at all times they are on duty, security at night(at times when alarms may go off), means that we are almost always on duty.  We think that this is classed as working.  How does this realistically go on to a time sheet. These are the things that Humph and his informative cronies, need to become aware of before putting silly restrictions on all of us. I also think that the wages council have previously been made aware of this.

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10 - 2010 »
Hang on - wern't the Wages Councils abolished (apart from agriculture) by John Major in 1993?