Author Topic: The Shoulder of Mutton - Location: Bradford  (Read 11433 times)  Share 

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!

Name: The Shoulder of Mutton - Location: Bradford

Address: 28, Kirkgate, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD1 1QL [01274 726038]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Shoulder of Mutton - Location: Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8 - 2010 »
This is a city centre pub, I liked it. Went in at 11-10am and a few people was in.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14 - 2010 »
I believe this pub had a visit the other day from Humphrey and he walked in jsut after 11am and requested a meeting, but the manager was busy serving and so Humphrey said that he was suspended. Apparently they were claiming for staff hours from 11.Does anyone know any more information about this, whether they have been fired now or not?
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14 - 2010 »
I was in The Shoulder of Mutton on Saturday night on my way home from Rochdale back to Hull.   While I was at the bar getting the drinks a man walked in and asked for a drink. The barman said " no you are barred." The man replied "but as the Manager as gone he was not banned anymore." The barman said " has he gone."

The man walked out saying he be back when the manager go's.

ian.

antthe2nd

• Non-Member
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14 - 2010 »
sacked over hours apparently???hmmmmmmmmm

Offline zimmerframeman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 7 - 2010 »
The Shoulder is now being run temporarily by Allen from the Red Lion, Girlington. It is rumoured that a couple are to take over the running of the pub. Also, the pub is due for a refurb any time soon so maybe a 'new' management team will take over after the pub is refurbed?

Post Merge: Oct  7 - 2010
Get this. Some brightspark from the council has painted parking spaces outside of the shoulder's clearly marked 'emergency fire exit - Do not park'. So when the drey makes its drop on fridays, there's a car obstructing the entrance. This has caused untold problems for the management. One for Hump to sort out, maybe?

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 7 - 2010 »
So i am assuming that the couple that have been suspended have now been sacked. Another management couple have bitten the dust, i might drop in next week to see what is happening. The parking on that road is not the best before, but now is going to be bad for the dray men.

Post Merge: Oct  9 - 2010
Heard from another Manager last ngith that the managers here have been reinstated. Is this a first manager that has been suspended and then not sacked by Humphrey.Could this be because of the court case that he lost due to not using proper disciplinary procedures.
« Last Edit: Oct 9 - 2010 by OldBreweryDrinker »
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline poprobson

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23 - 2011 »
Went in on Sunday afternoon, 1.30 ish. Full of locals. The door to the outside smoking area was wide open, and despite there being a sign telling people not to smoke in the passgeway, several did, so the pub was quite smoky. The bar staff were very friendly. Downside to the pub? Looks as though it needs a damn good clean, it appeared grubby all over the place. One of those places where you are careful what you touch!
The beer was excellent. 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28 - 2011 »
Been back in today and what a great time I had. Locals very friendly and helpful  ;D

The Shoulder of Mutton closes on the 5th of Jan for 3 weeks. That is when the managers leave. Been told that he what to turn it into a pub where people go to eat, and is maybe setting his sights to high.

The place was packed out but I did take some photos.
« Last Edit: Nov 28 - 2011 by ian »

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29 - 2011 »
It is a lovely pub and the regulars are friendly and helpful for directions to the other pubs in the area. As i said on the other thread, i don't see how the food is going to take off. When the pub is full of drinkers and not many tables available for food. Shall have to check it out in February

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29 - 2011 »
Non- members can now see some of these photos on....................

http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php?action=page;id=3

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27 - 2012 »
The old managers have left in the early part of January and the manager from the Red Lion at Girlington is apparently taking over. But not sure if he has made his mind up yet.

It is shut until the 30th of January for a refurbishment. Suppose to be doing food as well. Not sure how that will go down.  :P

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 4 - 2012 »
The managers from the Red Lion Have now moved to the Shoulder and appear keen and enthusiastic. Has had new wall paper and a paint job. Doesn't look much different really. Think they might only be there for a year as he is near to the retirement age.

Don't think the smokers are going to be happy as the shelter outside has now been taken down.  :o

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 4 - 2012 »
The managers from the Red Lion Have now moved to the Shoulder and appear keen and enthusiastic. Has had new wall paper and a paint job. Doesn't look much different really. Think they might only be there for a year as he is near to the retirement age.

Don't think the smokers are going to be happy as the shelter outside has now been taken down.  :o

Was you in today OldBreweryDrinker?  If so I did not see you. 

Been in myself today.  To be quite honest I could not see much difference in the place.  No one was eating while I was there, but it was packed out so I did not take many photos.  #1 is the only one I could take of the bar, but has you can see I'm stood in the right place. :P

Most of these photos will remain for members only.

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 6 - 2012 »

Was you in today OldBreweryDrinker?  If so I did not see you. 

Been in myself today.  To be quite honest I could not see much difference in the place.  No one was eating while I was there, but it was packed out so I did not take many photos.  #1 is the only one I could take of the bar, but has you can see I'm stood in the right place. :P

Most of these photos will remain for members only.

Yes not much change really only a lick of paint and some new wall paper. I didn't see any menus out when i visited here the other day during the lunchtime trade and again early doors. So ian we missed each other.  :P